GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody hear of this brand of Grip Heater? Know where I can find out about them?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Do you mean Kimpex Grip Heaters?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that looks like it, Kimpex, anybody know the manufacturers web site? I can't find it under the kimpex name.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Kimpex is also avail from Riderswearhouse, the Aerostich guys. I have them on my ST1100. Wouldn't be without as they work great.
BobVanNess
Royal Oak,MI

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, now the customer wants them with a rheostat instead of a 3 position switch.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
getting to the point of just do a set of hot grips.

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
i been useing Kimpex grip heaters on my wing for 160,000 trouble free miles, bought through Parts Unlimmited

but i bought them b4 i found out about Dual star grip heaters
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/h ... p_kit1.htm

they both work about the same but Kimpex uses a resistor to regulate the heat so when installing them u will have to find a safe place to mount the resistor, it gets hot enough to melt plastic so be careful, another thing is the wires, Kimpex wires are all to short for the 1800 so they have to b extended, Dual Star wires are plenty long rite out of the package

Dual Star does not use a resistor to controll the heat so that hassle is eliminated

they both use a Lo-off-Hi switch, 99% of the time i just use the low setting and they work great, about the only time i use Hi is if my hands got cold while filling up the gas tank, then i might use the Hi setting for 5-10 smiles and then switch back to Lo

2,732 Posts
Small world

Ronbien, It's a small world, we ran into Mike and his wife (Owners of the Heat troller company) in a gas station stop in Austria in 2003. They were riding their red Yamaha thru out Europe and we were riding BMW GS1150's. Thanks for pointing out their website as I had not been able to find it before. I still get e-mail (two weeks ago) from them in Europe as they continue to live their life touring over there and testing their equipement.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cycledude said:
i been useing Kimpex grip heaters on my wing for 160,000 trouble free miles, bought through Parts Unlimmited

but i bought them b4 i found out about Dual star grip heaters
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/h ... p_kit1.htm

they both work about the same but Kimpex uses a resistor to regulate the heat so when installing them u will have to find a safe place to mount the resistor, it gets hot enough to melt plastic so be careful, another thing is the wires, Kimpex wires are all to short for the 1800 so they have to b extended, Dual Star wires are plenty long rite out of the package

Dual Star does not use a resistor to controll the heat so that hassle is eliminated

they both use a Lo-off-Hi switch, 99% of the time i just use the low setting and they work great, about the only time i use Hi is if my hands got cold while filling up the gas tank, then i might use the Hi setting for 5-10 smiles and then switch back to Lo
I think we have a winner folks!

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Re: Heated Iso-Grips?

Wingerdor said:
Will those or any grip heaters work effectively with Kuryakyn Iso-Grips?
I don't have the ISO grips but I have heard that most grip heaters will work with them. Specifically I have heard that the EC grip heaters work with the ISO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Closetchef,

If you install the Dual Star kit, would you mind posting a few pictures of how you did it?

Thanx,
Bill

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks

Thanks alot! now I have more stinkin choices!! LOL I'm glad to hear that they work with the Iso's Definately a winter project.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Grip Heaters

I bought the set from Electrical Connections. They appear to be Dual Star heating elements, but the connections are plug and play made by EC.

I've had mine for 32,000 mile and have installed two sets for friends with no problems. Mine are under ISO Grips and they work great. I put the factory grips back of for one firend. The toggle switch is placed below the key lock for the right pocket.

Easy installation. I used hair spray to hold the grips on with no problems.
Karl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts