GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a weird problem with my Kisan headlight modulators. For a while now at night I'd hit the brights and it didn't look like anything changed - I was right. The brights wouldn't come on. I assumed I had the problem others had with the modulators coming loose from the bulb but I checked it in the daytime and the brights modulate just fine. That night the brights worked.

Last night I noticed the brights weren't working again and I toggled the bright switch back and forth and they finally came on - once they come on they work fine switching them off and on. Tonight they didn't come on at all.

Could it be a problem with the light sensor itself or maybe something else? They are probably still under warranty but I'm not too crazy about the idea uninstalling them - what a pain.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It "COULD" be a light sensor problem. They act as an 'on/off' switch. I'm not sure if it's on or off (of the switch) that activates it, but.......

I'd call Kisan to double check. Me, personally, I would call Kisan, and, if they were too slow in responding, I'd wire a switch into it, and check it out under on and off conditions. If it worked well, I'd probably let it go at that, and keep the switch in. Diodes DO fail.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I made a light proof cap for my daylight sensor so I could disable mine during the day. You may want to do the same for testing purposes. I used vinyl bolt caps, (the green and yellow ones), from Lowes. Cut the yellow one shorter, put it inside the green one and then painted the inside black. It fits nicely over the sensor to turn the modulator off during the day, won't void the warranty, and takes up no room in the left pocket when not in use.

Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the modulation didn't work today. Maybe they have worked their way loose. Would the blue dash light still come on if they weren't connected?

Maybe it's the cold temperatures - I think it was 23° this morning.

I'll check this weekend and make sure they're connected up tight before I do anything. I like the switch idea if the sensor is bad.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
William,

I don't have any add ons, and I have observed the same problem with my lights. It usually occurs when I haven't used the high beams for awhile and the temps or humidity has been really wacky. I also have issues with other 'electrically' associated accessories like the radio buttons and the swithches on the handle bars.

Don't know if this helps any.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've talked to Kisen about this kind of problem before and they say that it is impossible for the Kisen unit to cause the high beams to fail or not work.

I've seen 2 other 1800's that didn't get the plug in tight enough and that caused the high beams to not work. It's a very tight fit and not pushing hard enough can cause the connections to come loose. Could be the cause why it worked one time and not the next.

HTH

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scarredpelt: Yes, that helps - it's definitely a possibility that the dim/bright switch itself isn't working. I haven't had any problems with any other switches so far. I think I probably use the bright switch more than any other switch - except turning the CD player on and off.

rayworx: Well, I thought I pushed them on tight - they were a very snug fit. But that's another possibility. I'm going to do some surgery in the morning. I'm going to be on the highway in the dark both Saturday and Sunday - I want my brights working. Thanks for that info - it narrows down the possiblities, doesn't it. :lol:

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, the darn buggers came loose - apparently just the master (right side) was loose. I didn't mess with the right side. Working fine now. 8)

There's still lots of play though - you can rock them back and forth. I hope I got it on nice and tight now.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crap! Now after they worked I went for a ride, came home and tested them again and they didn't come one. After hitting the switch a few times they came on and then slowly died out. Messed with the switch a bit more and they came on solid. Is was just at sunset. It acted weird on me after I first installed them and I figured it was my friend's bright porch light messing up. Maybe it just gets confused when it's not bright or dark?

One other thing too - is it normal for there to be a short, maybe 1 second, delay when hitting the brights. I noticed the delay when I installed them and just assumed it was normal. Maybe it's not.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Bill:

I find that my KISAN modulator freqently resets itself to not operate correctly (infrequent and inconsistent modulation). Typically it happens when I repeatedly start the bike with the headlights in the HIGH BEAMS being on.

To reset the modulator to be more sensitive, I turn the high beam switch on and turn the key on and off 3 times quickly.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm... I never did program the thing. I just installed it and it worked. I'll give that a shot. Most of the time I shut down everything - including the brights - before I shut it off so the brights aren't on when I turn the key.

As it turned out the brights were working on my way home tonight.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bill, I've had the same issue on my 1800 too. Didn't have the reset issue on the 1500. I've reset the modulator 2-3 times since I had it installed last November, '05. For some reason the modulation just quits? Do the reset procedure as previous described and "VIOLA", it returns as normal. Weird!!

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried that this morning and nothing. Brights are dead. I'm starting to lean towards ripping them out. I might try the connections one more time. Luckily they aren't that bad to get at on a 2006.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried the programming thing again and they came on. Then, in the dark, on the way home, I hit them and they were flashing. When I got closer to home and no cars were around I hit the brights and they flashed maybe 5 times and then stayed solid. But what happens is they slowly dim until they shut off. Then they don't come back on.

Defective? :?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
William Anzik said:
I tried the programming thing again and they came on. Then, in the dark, on the way home, I hit them and they were flashing. When I got closer to home and no cars were around I hit the brights and they flashed maybe 5 times and then stayed solid. But what happens is they slowly dim until they shut off. Then they don't come back on.

Defective? :?
You might want to check the circuits for a loose or dirty ground. Good Luck! Intermittent problems are the worst! :roll:
DC

·
Registered
812 Posts
kisan

I had some trouble with my Kisan modulator. I called their toll free number and in a few seconds I was talking to a friendly very knowledgeable tech who got my problem sorted out right away. Worth a try.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked on the Kisan web site last night and found the real way to program them. You don't turn the key on and off, you turn the key on and then flip the brights 3 times fast within 2 seconds of turning the key on. The brights with flash 4 times if the programming worked. Second, you have to do it when the light level is at the point where you want the lights to start flashing. If you do it in the dark, it will revert to default mode.

Someone mentioned the programming messing up when starting the bike with the brights on. The instructions say the power drop could inadvertantly cause the modulators to reprogram so you shouldn't start with the brights on.

I should have looked for the instructions first. I'll try programming it again and if that doesn't work, I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Here is the problem with your modulator.

My problem is that at night the high beams just want to keep on flashing as in the daytime mode.

I checked with my installer and he said that what the problem is, is that the slave mechanism is bad. Just let him know and he will order a new modulator from Kisan.

I am going to call him tommorrow to get it replaced.

Sounds like what you need to do as well. It ISN'T the light sensor.

Hope this answers your question. I have a 06 1800 as well.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've been looking for the flashing headlight kit. Does any one know the proper web site name for Kisan?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts