GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install this modulator on my 08 Wing but the instructions that came with the unit doesn't tell you how to get to the wiring on the headlights except thru the storage pockets.

If anyone has made this installation, could you share that experience with me?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I just install these on my 09 GW tonight so I can tell you what I did to install mine.

I removed both side pockets. The right side was much easier to install. I installed the "Master" modulator on the right side. I installed the sensor between the rubber gasket and the plastic on the right side mirror. Just fish the wires down from the top. The left side is much harder due to the foot vent lever. I removed the top shelf, removed the screws on the left side and lifted the corner next to the vent lever just enough the reach my hand and push the modulator onto the bulb. You will want to install the modulator and "Slave" wire onto the wiring harness first the puts the whole unit onto the bulb.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Looks like that is the way I will have to go because I have the vent lever, too.
Did you make a hole for the sensor?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
No, I tucked it between the mirror rubber gasket and the plastic fairing facing the upward.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The foot warmer toggle switch is easily removed. The plastic part pops out and there is only one screw holding it in place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will get this done tomorrow. Im glad we have such a great group of been there & done it folks out there who don't mind sharing their knowledge.
Thanks again

·
Registered
694 Posts
What foot warmer toggle switch?

I thought that its a vent to keep the engine from overheating. Foot warmer is lame...now I need to check.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Foot warmer

When it is in the 30's and you have wet shoes from riding in the rain all day, that foot warmer will make all the difference.
Haven't tried out the heated grips yet. I ride with insulated gloves when it's cold and don't know if I will feel the heat through the gloves or not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I had mine installed, the three female connections on the modulator were loose, and came off the back of the bulb. I took a pair of needle nosed pliers and closed the gap on these connections so they would fit tighter on the male spades on the bulbs. Put it on the bulb, and if it goes on too easy, you may need to tighten them. Just don't close this gap to tight.

·
Registered
280 Posts
:p
When it is in the 30's and you have wet shoes from riding in the rain all day, that foot warmer will make all the difference.
Haven't tried out the heated grips yet. I ride with insulated gloves when it's cold and don't know if I will feel the heat through the gloves or not.
You should at least check that the grip heat operates correctly,especially if the bike is still under warranty, If they don't work,nows the time to get them fixed. I use mine a good bit on xtra cold mornings and even still feel the difference through my ''grip puppies''.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Modulator

SteveO - good idea on the connections. I certainly don't want to have to take it all apart again. I'll double check them for a snug fit.
Thanks very much for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts