GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here we go....The wife and I are trading/selling the Harley Ultra Classic and going to a GW trike. I'm leaning towards a brand of trike kit but want some honest answers to some questions. I don't want to mention the brand I'm looking at so as not to bias the answers. I think all the major trike kits are good and the choice comes down to looks more than anything, however, it's a lot on money and I want to do this only once....I also know that most love the kit they have and are very proud ( rightfully so) of their trike. If you don't want to answer in this forum, please e-mail me with your answers. We had a Champion Trike, 2002, and I didn't like it. I didn't have the steering kit installed, and thay may be the biggest reason that I didn't care for it, I was worn out at the end of the day, plus, I don't think I was ready to give up the leaning in curves, well I'm ready now. SO.....here's the questions and what I'm looking for in a trike:

1.-I'm looking for a PLUSH ride, something very comfortable for the wife and I to ride several hundres miles each day. I put a lot of miles on my bikes each year, they are made to ride...

2.- Easy steering. I know most of the ez steer/power trac Etc..will give me an "power steering" effect, but does the kit make a difference in the steering.

3. Maintenance, which kit will give me the most trouble free miles. There has been mention of a "disk" replacement in the CSC...Is this really a big deal or just routine maintenance.

4. Accessories, does one kit over another limit you to accessories, yeah, I'm a chrome/geegaw nut.

5. Fit and finish, are most of the major kits fit/finish good ( I think so)

6. If you had it to do over, money was no object ( no I'm not wealthy) would you change kits or stay with the same one. I know its hard to say, gee I wish I'd have gone with brand X over brand Y, but please give it a shot.

7. Storage space and ease of getting into the trunk.

Like I said, I only want to do this once and be happy, so if you all can help me out and give me some guidence in picking out a trike kit I would be very thankful....the 07 Blue has caught my eye....

Thanks All

·
Registered
324 Posts
According to the poll here, CSC and Champion are the favorites, not that the others are not good. Ride all that you can and get a good installer. Harry

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
KY, for what it's worth here are my opinions;

#1 Your suspension (Solid or IRS) and your settings of that suspension will determine your ride plushness. I have a solid axle and have it set fairly heavy cause I want the stiffness in the twisties.

#2 Yes, it definitely makes a difference. I rode my first trike 2500 miles before having the modification done and kicked myself for not having it done earlier.

#3 I had disc problems on my CSC, not hard to change, just a PITA.

#4 I haven't seen any bling designed for just one kit in mind, not saying there isn't some out there.

#5 I agree with you.

#6 I would stay with the one I have.

#7 A tremendous amount of storage in the Champion and I feel pretty good about the ease of getting to it.

Advice: Ride as many different brands as you can. Not just in the parking lot, but out on the road. Come down and visit and you can take mine out for a whole day to try. Got some good twisties to try out. :D

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SMSgtE8 said:
KY, for what it's worth here are my opinions;

#1 Your suspension (Solid or IRS) and your settings of that suspension will determine your ride plushness. I have a solid axle and have it set fairly heavy cause I want the stiffness in the twisties.

#2 Yes, it definitely makes a difference. I rode my first trike 2500 miles before having the modification done and kicked myself for not having it done earlier.

#3 I had disc problems on my CSC, not hard to change, just a PITA.

#4 I haven't seen any bling designed for just one kit in mind, not saying there isn't some out there.

#5 I agree with you.

#6 I would stay with the one I have.

#7 A tremendous amount of storage in the Champion and I feel pretty good about the ease of getting to it.

Advice: Ride as many different brands as you can. Not just in the parking lot, but out on the road. Come down and visit and you can take mine out for a whole day to try. Got some good twisties to try out. :D
From one Georgia boy to the other, thanks :lol: you do have some sweet roads in the north peach area....

These responses will sure help....

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
did you get enough info yet? you notice I sent mine as a PM!!! didn't want your thread turning into the great trike debate!! hope it all goes well for you!

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the responses, the information help a bunch, please chime in with any useful info, again thanks

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'd go RC, Champion, Hannigan, DFT, Motortrike, and lastly CSC,

RC are just really nice, but only in Canada,
Champion, just simple a bit cheaper and just as good as any,
DFT has all the good things, very large cargo, and inline drive shaft will beat them all compared to the offset shafts like is on the CSC,
Motor trik, like Champion just pretty darn good,
CSC, been there done that, would never go there again,

oh yes, and for the rake kit, there is no comparison, just a different world completely, I tried with and without, and would never go without again.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks All, talk about information overload :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do appreciate all the information and opinions, they are what makes this board great. :clap2:

We all like motorcycles and trikes, different models and colors, :biker:

AIN'T IT GREAT!!!! :yes:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Of great Importance, is to find a reliable trike conversion shop near you (preferably a Honda shop).

If you run into some problems you will be required to take it back to the converters. So...it's important that the shop not be some hundreds of miles down the road. It's also important that the converters be a Honda Shop so they will help you with your Honda warranty if and when required.

I know first hand some shops will refuse Honda warranty work on a trike, but I also know that Honda shops that put your trike together will help you with the Honda Warranty.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
KYBLUE...you have a PM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts