GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend who was in an accident on Monday (7/18). Broken right eye socket (no loss of vision), broken ankle, 9 fractures in his neck, couple broken ribs, and a couple small scratches. He'll be OK, just done riding until next year.

The cause: His son and his wife were riding his Wing and towing their Kwik Kamp trailer. The bolts/bracket holding the spare tire snapped and dropped the spare. It bounced up and hit him on the bike he was on, going through the windshield and hitting him in the face. His full-face helmet did it's job and spared his life. He is a very experienced rider and one of the safest riders I know. This was just a freak accident.

We'd like to find out if anyone has had a Kwik Kamp trailer with a spare tire mounting bracket, U-Bolt mounting, or other method of bolting on a spare tire that has given you any problems (past/present trailers). I do know of one owner of a Kwik Kamp that came out to go on a trip and his spare tire mount broke and the spare was sitting on the ground. This was while sitting in his driveway.

We want to know if this is an issue with that type of mounting that should be looked into - possibly a recall type of issue for this type of spare tire mounting. If we find it was caused by a maintenance issue, well, we want to know that as well (maybe the nuts on the u-bolt came loose and allowed the tire to bounce enough to snap the bracket?) Basically, we're just looking to see if anyone has had any problems.

If nothing else, as long as people will check their spare tire mounts and repair/replace them if worn, maybe it'll save someone else this type of accident.

Thanks!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't have the trailer in question but I would like to forward on my well wishes for your friend in the hopes of a speedy recovery. If the U-Bolt is not stainless steel, and as long as they are in the elements, they will all fail eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the well wishes, I'll pass them along!

I agree that over time these brackets will eventually fail. We are just looking to see if it was a defective piece of hardware, age of the part, or anything else.

It just may have been the part was old and just waiting to snap.

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I have a 1992 KwikKamp. My spare mounts on the back and I will check it out. I usually push on that to position it and it's always felt solid. Good reminder to give it a good going over though.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Note that Quick Kamp is out of business so there likely will be no Recall.

Another company took over the old design and modified / updated it so they may have some input on the best way to mount the spare.
I can't recall who was making them and they may have dropped the design as well or simply went away.
The only similar design I see is from
http://www.trailmasterinc.com/
who may be where it all ended up.

On my long gone Quick Kamp I had used bolts that extended through and below the tonge for the spare mounted there which replace the single bolt and aluminum bridge. Ny-Lock nuts are best used in these cases.

On the spare mounted on the rear it had the origional single bolt and Aluminum Bridge. Again I used a Ny-Lock nut there to keep it secure.

Never had any broken bolt issues on mine.

BTW I stopped using it then sold it because it was just too much weight behind both my '96SE and '01 1800 even with or without the sidecar -- IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I knew that Kwik Kamp was out of business, but not that someone else took over the designs.

I bought a Kwik Kamp two years ago, but there was no spare tire bracket. I've added one and will be double checking everything on it to make sure it doesn't have any problems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
My old 1991 Kwik Kamp had the spare mounted under the tongue with a single bolt thru the tongue...I would take it off every once in a while to wash it and the cover off, then bolt it back up...never had any problems.....
Kwik Kamp was in Troup, Tx then moved to Abilene, Tx then went out of business....The orginal owner of Kwik Kamp, Frank Johnson, is still around the Troup, Tx area...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Rip, thanks for that information. I may try to contact Frank and get some ideas from him. We're not trying to go after him for anything, just wanting to see if this is a common issue or just a fluke.

My thoughts have been that the bolt may have been original and that after 20 years it just suffered from metal fatigue and just broke. But, we're not sure. I'll get a chance to look at it on Monday.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've heard of a similar story on a Kendon trailer dropping its spare tire due to the spare mount failing. Course this isn't a trailer you pull behind a motorcycle but was a similar issue as you described.

Fortunately nobody was hurt as the spare decided to drop while in a parking lot. Lucky!!

I've got a friend who was in an accident on Monday (7/18). Broken right eye socket (no loss of vision), broken ankle, 9 fractures in his neck, couple broken ribs, and a couple small scratches. He'll be OK, just done riding until next year.

The cause: His son and his wife were riding his Wing and towing their Kwik Kamp trailer. The bolts/bracket holding the spare tire snapped and dropped the spare. It bounced up and hit him on the bike he was on, going through the windshield and hitting him in the face. His full-face helmet did it's job and spared his life. He is a very experienced rider and one of the safest riders I know. This was just a freak accident.

We'd like to find out if anyone has had a Kwik Kamp trailer with a spare tire mounting bracket, U-Bolt mounting, or other method of bolting on a spare tire that has given you any problems (past/present trailers). I do know of one owner of a Kwik Kamp that came out to go on a trip and his spare tire mount broke and the spare was sitting on the ground. This was while sitting in his driveway.

We want to know if this is an issue with that type of mounting that should be looked into - possibly a recall type of issue for this type of spare tire mounting. If we find it was caused by a maintenance issue, well, we want to know that as well (maybe the nuts on the u-bolt came loose and allowed the tire to bounce enough to snap the bracket?) Basically, we're just looking to see if anyone has had any problems.

If nothing else, as long as people will check their spare tire mounts and repair/replace them if worn, maybe it'll save someone else this type of accident.

Thanks!

·
Registered
359 Posts
What I have done is to "snake" a bicycle locking cable through the spare tire and the holding bracket(s) and locked with a padlock. This keeps the spare tire from "growing legs" and if the bracket fails, the spare doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Not a freak accident at all... See earlier thread:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264617

The Fix is to add a Cotter Pin to whatever supporting bolt/s used to restrain the tire. A nylock washer is ok so long as it's in New-condition... a used one will loose it's locking ability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem didn't appear to be the nuts working themselves off (which the coter pins would solve), but the bolt shearing off.

Still, a good idea to add the cotter pins and inspect the mounting bolts at least before every trip and replace as needed.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts