GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here's a good read:

Last summer I bought the Hit-Air over vest (before reading the above). I like it as I can wear any jacket I want. Tether is not even second thought now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree with Andy. I have the same vest he does. I've ridden probably 75k miles and used the air bag 3xs. thankfully all 3 were low speed get offs. When you do activate the vest and hit the ground it is like landing on a pillow. No matter what the weather or what I am wearing - I ALWAYS wear the vest.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those that use the tether, how does it attach to the bike? Does it require any power?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Interesting product, "Now yea got me thinking"

Ronnie

·
Registered
579 Posts
For those that use the tether, how does it attach to the bike? Does it require any power?
Mine is fired by a CO2 cartridge. No electric power required.

The attachment cable is on the right front of the vest with a Fastex type clip. The other half of the Fastex has a coiled cable with a clamp. I wrapped that end around the forward end of the right passenger grab handle. I adjusted the length so I could just stand up on the pegs/boards.

There is another short cable with a Fastex to hold the bike side clip and cable when not being used - prevents the loose end from hanging on the exhaust, getting tangled in something, etc. I attached that piece around the center post of the backrest.

Easy to reach back and grab the cable when seated and still out of the way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I preordered an Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 this week. Should have it before the end of May. This will be my 3rd airbag vest. I had one of the early Hit-Airs, and currently have a Helite pre-turtle. I chose this one because of the shoulder protection. It will be nice not having to worry about clipping the airbag every time I get off the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Thanks, nice subject has me pondering the purchase now myself. I appreciate the feedback on various products as well!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, nice subject has me pondering the purchase now myself. I appreciate the feedback on various products as well!
Same here. This thread has turned into a good resource. It also could have just saved me thousands, as I may no longer "need" to consider upgrading to an air bag model whenever I do move up to the 2018+ chassis.

·
Registered
75 Posts
An airbag vest is useful and can help in many situations, but it doesn't compare to the protection provided by the Goldwing airbag in severe frontal collisions like rear ending a car or hitting the side of a car that pulls out in front of you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
An airbag vest is useful and can help in many situations, but it doesn't compare to the protection provided by the Goldwing airbag in severe frontal collisions like rear ending a car or hitting the side of a car that pulls out in front of you
Yes it does. Watch videos online for those two scenarios and you will see an airbag vest/jacket will help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, it helps, but with the GWs massive airbag the rider will not go over the windshield. The 1-2 inch airbag thickness offers much less protection smashing into a stationary object. It is great for other times the rider finds themselves separated from the bike.

Go to 1 minute 30 seconds. Note his helmet impacts the vehicle.

And here is the wing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like the Wing bag provides more protection, but the jacket bag is a helluva lot better than nothing or some pads. Is there any more information out there about the GW air bags? I remember hearing some time ago that there has not been a fatality on an airbag equipped GW.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I will still try to buy an airbag version GW if I ever upgrade bikes. I really like the Tech-Air 5 tether-less version as it can be worn under a regular jacket, protects the shoulders and can be used on any bike. Personally, I think I would be more likely to need an airbag after coming off my bike for some reason than T-boning someone. Obviously, having both systems would be ideal!

·
Registered
579 Posts
When I was looking for a used GL1800 I wanted one with an air bag. They are scarce and they only way to get a new one was to pay for navigation, ABS, etc. so MSRP was a big price jump. I found one used one but in the end decided on the 2015 without the bag. I still think they are a great idea.

I am sure that a GL1800 rider has been killed even with a air bag. Plenty of ways that could happen. Happens in automobiles everyday.

The Hit-Air line retails for $500-$600. There are some older jacket styles less than $300. Being a frugal Mainer, I was really tempted by the jacket idea/price but many reviews say the jacket runs small and I have trouble as it is with jacket fitment. Hit-Air Airbag Vests and Jackets

I did not like the idea of the vest under the jacket as, frankly, there's not much room in there and thought the jacket might inhibit the performance. Additionally, my vest has a big neck collar that is designed to push up and stabilize the helmet.

As I said above, the tether is nothing at this point. I'm still using a wired headset and sometimes heated gear so what's one more thing?

One purchase where I hope it was a big waste of money because it never gets used.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I did a little quick research on the Air-Tech and it looks it has to be factory serviced (expensive) if it goes off and perhaps serviced occasionally regardless. I like the idea of being able to replace the co2 cartridge myself so I to could live with the tether.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The primary benefit of electronic activation is speed of inflation. The Tech Air video shows the speed of inflation you would expect with electronic activation. None of the tethered models would have had time to inflate in that type of collision. They are fine if you fall off the bike, or in that scenario IF you were to go OVER the car (it would inflate before you hit the ground), but in a head on type collision they may be too slow to inflate to help much. Of course, the effectiveness depends on the speed of the bike. They are still useful; I have worn them for years, but their effectiveness is less than the electronic versions in certain situations. A tethered airbag would be a great option for a rider who already has the airbag model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts