GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A follow up questio to the Windbender compared to the Madstad windshield. I am thinking the Madstad is what I want. Before I buy, has anyone had the Klock works shield and the Madstad? How do they compare? I like the idea of the hard coating on the Klock Works shield,but the adjustability of the Madstad.

·
Registered
2013 F6B
679 Posts
I had a Clearview before the Madstad. The clearview is similar to the KW. They both use a recurve to help. The clearview looks better than the madstad, but at freeway speeds, it has annoying buffeting. It didn't knock my head around, but causes continual eye flinching.
I cut up the clearview to use with the madstad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Function over form. I am a huge Madstad fan simply for the function over form aspect of fine tuning the airflow with it. Granted, my latest F6b came with a KW 16", which does work fine at most any speed and absolutely is sexier than the Madstad. That being said, still gonna put the Madstad on it. It's just too perfect for tuning to correct for such a wide variety of conditions, helmets, humans, everything, there are so many factors that create resistance, my experience with Madstad has been exemplary.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I like the MS so well on the GL1800, I am in the process of making one from scratch for my 1995 BMW R100RT 'Airhead'. A fellow Airhead rider has already approached MS about making them, but they declined, saying they prefer to focus on newer motorcycles. I bought a MS mount off eBay, and have several old windshields on hand. Only problem is the base, which has curvature unique to the RT. So I plan to use the RT's windshield bottom section as a base, at least temporarily for R&D. Will attempt to mimic the angles from the MS setup on the GL1800.

TMI maybe, but that's how much I like the GL1800's Madstad, willing to go to the trouble to fab one for the BMW, or at least attempt to.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Have a 2007 R1200RT .It has electric windshield and it great. The problem is the RT causes my back to cramp between my shoulder blades. Tried a few things to solve it with some improvement but not fix the issue,so RT is for sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts