GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the flare windshield from klockwerks? Had one on my Road Glide, good quality.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If you click on “read more,” the measurements are 20.25” height and 23.375” width at the widest point.

:doorag:
Thanks Murf, must of missed that.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Got mine today. Nice pc. BUT, Honda says the stock height on the GWT is 20". KW says theirs is 20.25. The KW is at least 3 inches taller, to the point I can't see over it at all w/o standing on the pegs a bit. On the stock one I could bump it up a time or 2 and still see over it just fine. There is also some distortion in it where it starts to curve up I've never had in other flip w/s's. Will likely sell it or have it cut down a bit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Got mine today. Nice pc. BUT, Honda says the stock height on the GWT is 20". KW says theirs is 20.25. The KW is at least 3 inches taller, to the point I can't see over it at all w/o standing on the pegs a bit. On the stock one I could bump it up a time or 2 and still see over it just fine. There is also some distortion in it where it starts to curve up I've never had in other flip w/s's. Will likely sell it or have it cut down a bit.
How tall are you? Any pictures of it? How aggressive is the flare compared to say an F4 20” recurve?...it looks like it is a much more aggressive flare? How does wind compare riding with it?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well, as I said it came in this evening and it's been raining cats & dogs all day so I haven't ridden with it yet. Maybe tomorrow.
I'm 5'10". Not familiar with the F4 but this one has a pretty long & aggressive curvature to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can’t you just return it?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Not sure but have sent them an email. But they say there,s a 20% restocking fee so that'd be $40+ bucks plus shipping.
We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Having a curvature concerns me about visibility and if this does have some known distortion, I wouldn't want it. I think I read that the f4 doesn't have any distortion???

·
Registered
807 Posts
Couple of things. Spoke with the folks at Klock Werks this a.m. VERY NICE people! All the folks we deal with could take a cue from them.
I did figure out why I couldn't see over the KW & could with the stock w/s. The stocker is straight - no upturn. The Klock Werks is only a ¼" taller but it takes a hard upward turn in the last 3 or 4 inches so while basically being the same length it has a much steeper angle upward hence making it taller. They don't really need to shorten it but just move the mounting hole up about 1½ or 2 inches. And it definitely has an area where there is noticeable distortion.
Nice pc. but needs a 'lil fine tuning. JMHO

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Couple of things. Spoke with the folks at Klock Werks this a.m. VERY NICE people! All the folks we deal with could take a cue from them.
I did figure out why I couldn't see over the KW & could with the stock w/s. The stocker is straight - no upturn. The Klock Werks is only a ¼" taller but it takes a hard upward turn in the last 3 or 4 inches so while basically being the same length it has a much steeper angle upward hence making it taller. They don't really need to shorten it but just move the mounting hole up about 1½ or 2 inches. And it definitely has an area where there is noticeable distortion.
Nice pc. but needs a 'lil fine tuning. JMHO
In your conversation with them, were they open to changing the mounting holes? Would it be done to a windshield just for you or to all future windshields? I too am about 5'11" and am interested in the windshield, but not at the expense of looking through distortion.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sweet! 0:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your review.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had the dark tint model on mine for a couple of weeks. No problem seeing over it in it's lowest position as I am 6'4". It does work, I get no buffeting and a calmer pocket as a result of the flip. You do get less air to the rider as a result of the recurve and the windshield being a little wider I suspect. A little hot in warm weather but will be welcome in the winter months.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the 20.25 Klockwerkes. I bought it mainly for my wife riding on back. We both noticed an immediate larger air pocket with the screen fully lowered. We could clearly converse, not like with the stock screen. I am 5'6" and the 20.25 screen was a bit too tall for my liking. It also has quite a bit of distortion in it's aggressive flip up curvature area ( of which gives the great dead air pocket)...I trimmed off about an inch to inch and a half and now see comfortably over the screen in the fully down position...With the screen up, the optics isn't bad but not great. I'm not elated with it but for my use, it is better than the OEM screen. Wind protection is excellent. Optics depends on where you are actually looking through it. Price is very good. I bought mine through JP Cycle. I believe there is a 18 inch screen offered via KW...I'll post some pictures

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had the 11" vented dark smoke for 6+ weeks now. Probably 1000 mixed miles. I run it one click up and at 5'8" look well over it. I do not like looking through any screen and don't like the barn door feel of bigger screens. For the wife and I it works great. Looks awesome on the 2016 grey on black.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts