GL1800Riders Forums banner

Knee Replacement Surgery, and Riding Afterward

9K views 131 replies 54 participants last post by  Brian_Fenner 
#1 ·
Today is day 14 since (left) total knee replacement (TKR). I followed surgery prep instructions diligently, except did not drink a sports drink a few hours prior. I was told I'd be there several hours, so would need 'nourishment' the sports drink would provide. Instead, I drank a zero calorie electrolyte mix. I was also allowed to eat up to 8 hours prior to surgery, but I stopped 32 hours prior, and continued to fast afterward, a total of 72 hours. After that, I ate one light meal per day for the next 4 days. My thinking, was to keep the digestive system empty so the body could focus on healing. Day after surgery was the worst, it felt like I'd been ran over by a truck. But next day I began feeling better, and an exercise bicycle was delivered, per doc's order, and I logged all five, 12 minute sessions that day, and every day since. On day 3 post surgery, I began PT at a nearby facility, 3x per week. On day 4, I set the walker aside and stopped the pain pills. The physical therapist recently said I am doing well, and most TKR patients are still using walker or cane at 3 weeks, so that was encouraging. I am also continuing PT at home for my left shoulder, and range of motion is good as new.

On day 5, I sat on both motorcycles (GL1800 and BMW Airhead) and, with effort, could get my foot on the floor board / foot peg, albeit with much pain; day 6 it was easier, but painful; day 7, pain was more tolerable; day 8, pain was much less, and I could operate the shifter, so I rode the GooldWing about 75 miles, and have ridden both bikes a collective total of about 400 miles since.
While riding, I constantly exercise the knee, alternating foot position on the peg/floorboard, for more/less knee flex. I also use the highway pegs to straighten the knee some and do 'foot pumps'. I also often hook my heel over the highway peg and pull the leg forward, for max straightness of the knee.

No regrets on the surgery, I pray for continued improvement, and getting fully back into the swing of life, which includes riding motorcycles. Hope to see y'all on the road!

See less See more
#4 ·
Keep working at it and it sounds like you'll be good to go soon. Knee replacement is probably in my future but I'm very hesitant. My wife has had both knees replaced. One is good and the second one is not satisfactory. The 2nd one was done just as Covid went crazy and the docs and therapists cut short her rehab. Their solution is to redo it. Uh, no friggin way!

#5 ·
Sounds like you are doing very well, just don't overdo it either.....can lead to inflammation and setbacks.

I had TKR on my right knee in Nov '22......about 3.5 months ago.
Left knee will be the end of this year.

First thing the Doc said was to never compare your own progress to anyone else. Everyone is completely different with a lot of factors affecting progress. Some people are moving along great within months and others may take up to 1-year to get things semi-normal.
I still have stiffness, aching and a lot of heat in the knee.......which is all normal at this point.

Otherwise doing well and getting ready for riding season in April.
Good luck with your continued recovery.....diligent PT is the key to success IMHO.

#31 ·
Sounds like you are doing very well, just don't overdo it either.....can lead to inflammation and setbacks.
👆 👆 This. Had knee surgery around 2009, although minor compared to many.

Reactions: JoeHall
#8 ·
You are doing a lot better than me. Total knee replacement Oct 3 - 2022, mine has been a long road. I scar heavy so at 6 weeks they had to manipulate my knee to get it to bend past 78 degrees. With my own excercising and 28 visits to PT I am now at 110 degrees and can bend my knee enough to start riding. At 15 weeks I rode for 15 minutes for my first ride, then week 18 I was able to ride 75 miles, week 19 with several stops to stretch I rode 264 miles. I excercise my knee every other day and I believe this is the reason I continue to make gains.

#40 · (Edited)
Sounds like it's been a journey. I am now at 124 and -2 degrees, compared with 140 and -10 on my other knee. Feeling Blessed everyday, as I had been advised it was gonna take a lot longer. I really think it's the robotic 'muscle sparing' technique that made the difference though.
Joe H

#12 ·
Yep, no different from the right foot. Once the foot is on the ground, it feels as strong as the other. Of course I haven't load tested it yet, and hope not to for awhile. As is, I already feel less pain getting out of bed than before the operation. It was pretty bad before, but I had grown used to 'favoring' it. As mentioned, no regrets.

#13 ·
Good for you Joe, both my knees are stage 4, both need replacement, over the years ive had all the cartilage removed from both, have arthritis and bone spurs, they crack and pop hurt all the time but I’m still to scared to get them done. Don’t really have a good reason I’ve had many many surgeries on both over the last 40 years, after a dirt bike accident 30 years ago they cut my left open about 10 inch scar rebuilt it with bone grafts from my hip, had a large screw about 4” long several pins etc. 6 months in a cast etc. but as I’ve gotten older I’m getting to be a bigger chicken. maybe you will inspire me.

#17 ·
Sounds like your diligence is working well for you:)

I'm glad to hear that I should be able to run into you on the road, somewhere(s).

I had a good friend who added a rocking chair to his PT; not for sitting, but for rocking. The repetitive motion had him ahead of schedule for rehab. Of course, he also was very compliant with his MD's and PT's instructions.

Best of luck for continued progress. See ya soon.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

#18 ·
I had the meniscus (correct spell'n here/got to admit I had too look it up for the correct spell'n) muscle in my left knee repaired a few months ago... It's not complete knee replacement, BUT the Drs. had to go into my knee to repair it..I still have to baby that knee, though, BUT I can walk every day 3-5 miles a day, as long as I wear a sleeve, over the knee.. I ride a trike, so issue's of motorcycle weight is not an issue for me...

Ronnie
2/21/23

#20 ·
Great info Joe. I have a March 6 appointment to have my left knee Total Replacement. Initially I was going to wait till after the season but there was no way I was getting around with the way it is now......so, here we go. I have reservations to go to southern Spain in late May (surgery + 6 1/2 weeks) where i have rented a bike and an Airbnb with Tickets to the Moto GP in Jerez. I made these reservations in December before the knee went south and I would lose my ass if I cancelled. My thought is.... I am going if I can ride or not, as long as there are no infections or major problems. I am planning on doing everything possible that my doc is recommending. Even decided to back off the Bourbon for the next few weeks + (that may be harder than the actual rehab!)

#38 · (Edited)
[
Great info Joe. I have a March 6 appointment to have my left knee Total Replacement. Initially I was going to wait till after the season but there was no way I was getting around with the way it is now......so, here we go. I have reservations to go to southern Spain in late May (surgery + 6 1/2 weeks) where i have rented a bike and an Airbnb with Tickets to the Moto GP in Jerez. I made these reservations in December before the knee went south and I would lose my ass if I cancelled. My thought is.... I am going if I can ride or not, as long as there are no infections or major problems. I am planning on doing everything possible that my doc is recommending. Even decided to back off the Bourbon for the next few weeks + (that may be harder than the actual rehab!)
:eek:What?? Say it isn't true, (must be an early April fools joke)) Got to admit, that you had me FOOLED for a minute :unsure: Good one!
Ronnie
2/21/23

#24 ·
Joe, it's all because you had a reason to get better and stuck with it. I had the trapezoid bone removed in my left hand. Doctor and physical therapist told me it would be at least 6 months recovery. Had it done end of February and was riding the first of May.

#25 ·
Good to hear you are doing well Joe!

I have replacements in my future also per the doc. I have had 5 knee surgeries and do not have an ACL in my left knee. Had the ACL fixed in my right knee. Too competitive in sports in my younger days. Surgeries after football (clipped on punt coverage) tore ACL, basketball (guy came down on top of me and ACL blew out in other knee) and racketball (stopped fast and knee didn't) to name a few.

Joe be careful riding this quick. One lurch to the replaced knee side where you need to catch the bike and you can mess up a lot of work to your knee and set yourself back A LOT.

But good work so far!

#27 ·
I also had left knee replacement. It was two days after I retired in 2017. June. Next April rolls around I went shopping for a retirement motorcycle as a present to myself. Best fit I found was 2018 Indian Scout Bobber…., ok, back on two wheels. After 20,000 miles I caved in and went GoldWing shopping. Bought the latest 2022 DCT Tour in Blue Metallic. Loved my first season of 6k miles, added some lighting. Look to put on 20k this season! Have barely noticed I had Knee Surgery! Ride, ride ride! Sure love my new ride!

#28 ·
Congrats Joe. The TKR I had on my right knee is doing very well. Keep doing the PT exercises. One thing that REALLY helped was the extra in office visits to the PT at the end. Really helped much better then the exercises the Home Health PT's were having me do.

March 4th will be the one year anniversary . I can do almost anything with the new knee, kneel (with a pad most times), squat better than I could before, walk etc.
Doc said the wing was heavy and had me wait a number of months to ride, though I did sneak a short one in, because of the side muscles take up to a year to reattach to the knee cap.

Keep up the good work. And yes, I would do it again.

Reactions: JoeHall