GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 83 years old and have been riding for over 65 years, still riding a 2005 Gold Wing 2 wheeler with 110,000 miles. I am going to have my knees replaced the first of next year and was wandering if any of the members have done this and still riding 2 wheels. I do not want to trike my bike. I guess I could go to a lighter bike or 650 cc scooter.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
I am 83 years old and have been riding for over 65 years, still riding a 2005 Gold Wing 2 wheeler with 110,000 miles. I am going to have my knees replaced the first of next year and was wandering if any of the members have done this and still riding 2 wheels. I do not want to trike my bike. I guess I could go to a lighter bike or 650 cc scooter.

I know quite a few people who have had that surgery. The resilts vary, but one factor in favor of best results is to LOSE WEIGHT. The skinny guys do better than the hefty guys. Get it done, be a great recovery rehabber and when its time, you take the bike out for a spin and then decide. Best of success!

prs

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
No personal experience with it (yet!, but it's in my future) but all my observations and hearsay echo prs.

The replacements are good and seem to be an upgrade for just about all activities as long as they are low impact.

General fitness, diligent rehab (don't rush things), etc. all key to getting to the positive outcome. I think you should expect things to be better, not worse, once you get through the tunnel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
A friend of mine had both knees replaced a few years ago - early 50s. He still rides. So there are people who continue riding. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
TKR's are pretty amazing...my wife had both of hers done - one year apart.

When you're released from the hospital, they'll provide a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine that you will HATE beyond belief! Yet, diligent effort with this device will facilitate healing - you'll hate it, and love it when it finally leaves your home! :mrgreen:

My wife is on the right-side of the healing bell curve (very fast), and she was back on the pillion seat after ten weeks after her first one...and a couple of weeks later for the second.

Driving? When she had the left knee done, it was three weeks, and went back to work in five weeks (office job) after surgery.

Luck to ya!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had my left done and all is good. Can walk 18 holes of golf no problem. They suggest not getting both done at the same time. As was mentioned weight loss is a good thing before surgery.

Bill

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had my right knee fine couple years ago. I was to the point I could barely walk. Recovery is a slow process. I was also dealing with right hip that ended up replaced. Hip recovery is easier and faster. The knee still feels stiff like an ace bandage on it but is getting better. I wouldn’t encourage anyone getting both done at same time. That had trouble walking and my Drtold me to do as much walking as I could. I should be doing more. Good luck with your surgery.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I can answer this better than most FOR SURE. 24 surgeries in my life. 16 of my knees alone. The last two on each knee were replacements. All but two of my surgeries were sports related. More specifically, basketball. I rode then, I ride now. I still play hoops after my first replacement almost 16 years ago now.

Trust me on this one. Riding a motorcycle will absolutely NOT be a problem for you. I still get a laugh today when people my age ( 64 ) or older brag about being able to play GOLF after knee replacement. GOLF !! One may as well brag about being able to play checkers after knee replacement.

Riding a bike provides NO WEAR whatsoever on your knees, right ?? Yes.

If you're worrying about holding the bike up. even a Wing, at a light, in your garage, gas station, etc., fear not. Your new knee will provide MUCH MORE stability than your current knee. MUCH more.

One tip from someone who has had multiple surgeries...............ATTACK the rehab or you'll never be able to straighten your knee fully again. And don't say "I go 3 times a week' to the doctor/rehab. That's NOTHING. That's the bare minimum. Do the rehab about 10X a DAY. Sitting watching TV ?? Do rehab. After you eat sitting at a table ?? Do the rehab. Before/during/after you're in bed ?/ Do the rehab. You get the picture.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hoopdc, you laugh at people mentioning being able to walk a golf course after surgery, well from a person who could barely walk a block before surgery because of bone on bone knee. I will gladly mention about walking a golf course. Life is good again. Each to his own!!

Bill

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Don't do them at the same time if you can avoid it. Range-of-motion PT is essential to ensure that your ligaments and tendons fall back into the correct place and function properly. While the PT is initially done lying down, later on being able to stand and support yourself with the other leg will make it easier... Your doctor knows best on that score, though.. I had my right knee done last year. First couple of months were painful, but it got better fast, now I hardly ever notice it. I went back to riding at 8 weeks, just a test ride. It was a couple months before I started riding regularly again, but you should be fine. Both knees at once, probably will take you a little longer, but if you don't have any trouble holding it up and maneuvering it around now, the knee replacements won't matter down the road. Personally, I 'd be more concerned about how badly people in their '80s tend to heal after trauma... the new knees, though, should be as good as the old ones after 6-8 months, fully normal at 12.

·
Registered
700 Posts
--

I've had both of mine replaced. Lots of good info posted above. However, my problem was the bent angle of my knees on the stock position of the foot pegs was uncomfortable. Keeping my knees bent like that didn't work out and was the main reason for switching back to a different bike from then on.

--

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hoopdc,

You're right about GOLF not hurting your knees.....if you know nothing about the golf swing and are a lousy player. HOWEVER, if you do have a proper golf swing, then you know that the tension and force put on the legs and knees in a good golf swing is tremendously forceful. All your power in golf comes from the ground UP, using the legs for resistance, torque and leverage.

To prove my point, the first injuries the great Tiger Woods had were injuries to the knees! The back injuries came later, and still plaque him to this day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had both of mine replaced at the same time 3 years ago. Not as good as new but stabbing pain gone.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Unless you intend to drop your Goldwing on its side and pick it up every day, then there should be no problem to continue riding. A Goldwing held up at a stop light is as easy to support as a 100cc bike. It's only a problem when it starts to tip over! Having said this, the Yamaha Niken GT with those dual front tires looks really neat! And stable, etc! I just might have to look at one soon myself!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hoopdc,

You're right about GOLF not hurting your knees.....if you know nothing about the golf swing and are a lousy player. HOWEVER, if you do have a proper golf swing, then you know that the tension and force put on the legs and knees in a good golf swing is tremendously forceful. All your power in golf comes from the ground UP, using the legs for resistance, torque and leverage.

To prove my point, the first injuries the great Tiger Woods had were injuries to the knees! The back injuries came later, and still plaque him to this day.

Wow. I honestly can agree to a degree. A VERY SMALL degree. You surely are not comparing the wear-and-tear on someone's knees between basketball and GOLF !!!! You may as well throw in bowling and knitting.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I used to do knee replacement surgery. The reason to do it is your knees influence your lifestyle, and you have the other indicators. The most important thing to do is rehab...which must continue way after physical therapy is over. You have to strengthen the legs, especially the quadracep muscles for the leg to work correctly. Give it time before you ride. I have had patients do all kinds of events after joint replacement surgery... referee basketball, jump off hay wagons, work in factories, and ride, to name a few. It will be easier for you to do everything after surgery cause the pain is gone! Good luck...let us know how you are doing.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I used to do knee replacement surgery. The reason to do it is your knees influence your lifestyle, and you have the other indicators. The most important thing to do is rehab...which must continue way after physical therapy is over. You have to strengthen the legs, especially the quadracep muscles for the leg to work correctly. Give it time before you ride. I have had patients do all kinds of events after joint replacement surgery... referee basketball, jump off hay wagons, work in factories, and ride, to name a few. It will be easier for you to do everything after surgery cause the pain is gone! Good luck...let us know how you are doing.

Just reiterating what you said..................IF theyl'll listen, I tell people the same thing. ATTACK all rehab with a vengeance or they'll be limping the rest of their lives.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Just reiterating what you said..................IF theyl'll listen, I tell people the same thing. ATTACK all rehab with a vengeance or they'll be limping the rest of their lives.
Agree....most do..that's why they went thru with the procedure!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Crikey! Good on you John.

That advice on going hard on the rehab and getting the movement cant be understated.

At 85 years and on your Wing..., crikey thats 20 years for me. I think maybe I will be on a lighter and smaller bike, if I am around and riding.

Best of luck with the procedure and rehab.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts