GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the simplest way to replace the left knock sensor assy. on my 2004 gl1800? How do I locate and check the opposite connector coming from the sensor itself? Thanks for your help. I want to be able to ride with the Wounded Warriors this weekend.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,292 Posts
What is the simplest way to replace the left knock sensor assy. on my 2004 gl1800? How do I locate and check the opposite connector coming from the sensor itself? Thanks for your help. I want to be able to ride with the Wounded Warriors this weekend.
It's tucked in between the left head's manifold pipes and the block. Removal of the lower cowl under the head is required. The other end of its harness ties into one of the ECM's connectors. Are you getting a failure code for it? If so you may want to swap it with the right one and see if the code changes to the right side. If it does then it's the sensor, if it doesn't, then it may be a bad ECM?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If switching the sensors reveals that the sensor is not the problem then you also need to check the continuity of the wire lead from the sensor to the ECM. I just went through this a few months ago with Techdude2000's guidance. If it is the ECM then check with Turbineman on this site (just a couple of threads before yours), he has one for sale which he just bought and does not need. If the sensor is not the problem then you will have to remove the top shelter and if your air filter is coming due for a change you can get two birds with one stone and save yourself some work. I wouldn't let this keep you from the weekend ride, I rode mine for 1000 miles with he FI light on.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,292 Posts
If switching the sensors reveals that the sensor is not the problem then you also need to check the continuity of the wire lead from the sensor to the ECM. I just went through this a few months ago with Techdude2000's guidance. If it is the ECM then check with Turbineman on this site (just a couple of threads before yours), he has one for sale which he just bought and does not need. If the sensor is not the problem then you will have to remove the top shelter and if your air filter is coming due for a change you can get two birds with one stone and save yourself some work. I wouldn't let this keep you from the weekend ride, I rode mine for 1000 miles with he FI light on.
:agree: as long as you don't get any severe preignition knock, the engine will be OK for the weekend trip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's tucked in between the left head's manifold pipes and the block. Removal of the lower cowl under the head is required. The other end of its harness ties into one of the ECM's connectors. Are you getting a failure code for it? If so you may want to swap it with the right one and see if the code changes to the right side. If it does then it's the sensor, if it doesn't, then it may be a bad ECM?
Yes I do get the 26 code, but only after riding for about 100 miles. After the ignition switch is turned off, then turned on, I do not get the code. Nor do I get it when I let the engine idle until the fans come on .....only after riding. I have since filled up with a higher octane, but have not taken a ride. Hopefully the higher octane will cure the problem...thanks for your response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts