GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site - but have been reading about Fault Indicator 25 - right side knock sensor - I've had my bike since 05 - it's a 2002 - had my first FI come on this year - a 25 - read about it - reset ecm - thought several time it was gone - but kept coming back - maybe after 5 miles - maybe after 100 miles - so I replaced the right side knock sensor - problem went away for a month - about 600 miles - I thought I was in the clear - then on the way home from work yesterday - BOOM - it came back on - same code 25. Additional info - the bike and I were in a minor accident 2 years ago - hit on the right side - went down on the left - mostly minor damage - but my question is - do I maybe need to reset the connectors on the ecm? Could it be something as simple as that???? It's so intermittent - it's hard to track down. I really don't want to buy an ecm if that's not the problem - does any of this make any sense to anyone? When I bought my sensor at the Honda dealer - the parts guy told me he'd never sold one of those before......thanks for any advice -

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
History would indicate that you probably have an ECM going bad. If you search on here for that fi, you should come up with several threads that all end up being a bad ECM. Wish I could tell you different.
Richard

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
History would indicate that you probably have an ECM going bad. If you search on here for that fi, you should come up with several threads that all end up being a bad ECM. Wish I could tell you different.
Richard

I agree. This is one of the classic symptoms that the ECM is bad. This seems to be happening more and more on the older bikes. My suspicion is that there is a capacitor in them that is failing with age.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Are you sure it’s still code 25 ? Mine was doing about the same thing but then I noticed it had actually switched to code 26 which is the other knock sensor. I believe it can only show one fault code on the screen so it only shows the most recent code. I had already tried switching ECM but got the exact same results so I ordered two new knock sensors and installed them, I have put on over 500 miles since without any issues so hopefully it’s fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
code 25 for sure - it's happened about 10 times - i did replace the right knock sensor - now have an ECM arriving next week - hope it clears up the FI light - thanks 0

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Also check wiring from knock sensor faulty wire can cause problems as well I have read...

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
When I bought my sensor at the Honda dealer - the parts guy told me he'd never sold one of those before......thanks for any advice -
So you bought a new knock sensor, did you install it on the right side ???
Is there any type of a running conditions ... such as wanting to die, hesitation, surging at idle ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts