GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the inserts covering the fog light space in the front lower cowl knock out easy or do they need to be cut out? Tips are welcome.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Cut mine with a dremel tool, a hot knife will work.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Use a hacksaw blade. Just the blade. I made my cut along the inside of the cover and then cleaned it up with a razor knife. If you try to knock the cover out, you will end up with a mess.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I cut mine with a dremel and couldn't clean up to look oem so I made my own gromet out of small rubber vac hose, just sliced with razor and fit it around cut area. looks factory after that. I believe I saw somewhere a Honda instruction manual for fog light install and it listed the gromets in parts list but mine didn't say or have them so I Macgivered them!:thumbup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
+1 for Dremel.

Used a sharp knife when I put em on the stock cowl and used the dremel when I bought the Show Chrome cowl. Cut em out with it then used it to smooth down the tabs. Couldn't tell there were ever caps over the holes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Yeah, I didn't think they would knock out easily. I'm going to have the OEM one color matched.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel on it. I stayed well away from the circular inside of the finished edge and then came back with a sanding drum bit on the Dremel to clean it all up. Keep the speed down so if it kicks on you then you won't have the bit take off like a runaway train. It works just dandy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I used my smallest pair of end cutting pliers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Use a hacksaw blade. Just the blade. I made my cut along the inside of the cover and then cleaned it up with a razor knife. If you try to knock the cover out, you will end up with a mess.
Ditto, hacksaw and cleaned it up with a razor knife. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
32T hacksaw blade
26 second job

·
Registered
557 Posts
I used a pair of Dikes. Diagonal cutters for those of you that have a dirty mind

·
Registered
811 Posts
hacksaw blade, then a 1/2 round file on the high spots - only stroking with file from the front side toward the back side. Cleaned remaining burrs with a utility knife.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I used my smallest pair of end cutting pliers.
I agree. Snip through all the tabs with a pair of side-cutters just to get the "knock-out" out of the way, trim remaining stubs using a utility knife with a sharp blade. Start on the top tabs so that you'll have your procedure perfected before moving on to the more visable tabs. Dress the back of the "lip" with a fine file and some sandpaper afterwards (to where when you look through the holes from an angle, you don't see any remnants where the tabs were on the back-side of the cowling). Just makes things look half-fast if you don't clean it up and after you get it back together, you'll wish you did. Takes less than 5 minutes to do both sides but time is on your side. You're in this deep, may as well do it right. It's like most Goldwing projects...simple to do, just a pain to get to.

You can easily do a better job than most dealerships would do as its your bike and just a job to them.

Z

·
Registered
375 Posts
I did several using Lewis's (EC) instructions and they all turned out great, good luck, as always thanks Lewis.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for the excellent suggestions. This board is awesome. I used the hack saw blade and smoothed out with the dremel tool and fine grade sand paper. Worked great. Now it's off to the painter.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:Thats how I did mine.
Kurt :thumbup:
I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel on it. I stayed well away from the circular inside of the finished edge and then came back with a sanding drum bit on the Dremel to clean it all up. Keep the speed down so if it kicks on you then you won't have the bit take off like a runaway train. It works just dandy.

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
The proper tool is a side cutter.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Xuron-170-II-Micro-Shear-Flush-Cutter/dp/B000IBSFAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1308142562&sr=1-1"]
[/ame]

prs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts