GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick FYI..

Yesterday evening, a VERY BAD storm hit Knoxville and thousands of people are without power. It especially bad out in North Knoxville (Fountain City area) where Electrical Connection is located.

K.U.B. (Knoxville Utilities Board) sates it may be several days before power is restored. Trees are down all over and many roads are impassable.

I have tried to contact Lewis at E/C and cannot get hold of him. I spoke with TnCharlie and he has no power and will be borrowing a neighbors generator tonight to at least keep his refrigerator going.

Fortunately, the temperature isn't too bad. Charlie said it's a comfortable 73° in his basement.

More info here:

http://www.wate.com/story/14957317/shelter-to-open-for-knox-residents-without-power

http://www.wbir.com/

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Sorry to hear this and hope all effected are OK!!

One of the first things we did after moving to Arkansas full-time was to have a whole house back-up generator installed...it has kicked on twice already (other than self check starts) since Christmas.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I Agree Transformer!!

Life in the country! We have a 60KW Generac propane. Remember the Tornados of 2008 and the Ice storm of 2009? Boy it came in handy for weeks for those and a few smaller runs since!!!!!!!!

We only experienced one problem and that was getting the propane company to make a delivery 8 days into the outage after the Feb 2008 EF-4 Tornado. But they made it!

Regards,

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Sounds like fun. Last night some storms ripped through the western and northwestern Chicago suburbs as well, leaving 250,000 without power. ComEd claims to have most restored by Thursday night.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Sorry to hear this and hope all effected are OK!!

One of the first things we did after moving to Arkansas full-time was to have a whole house back-up generator installed...it has kicked on twice already (other than self check starts) since Christmas.
We have been very lucky, I also bought a generator, and never used it for 3 years, so I sold it.

We have been without power for about 10 seconds in the 4 1/2 years I have lived here.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I was hid behind a bridge support on I40/75 when that hit. First time i ever saw all traffic stopped on interstate in cluding big trucks. Man i thought it was going to pull me out from there.Worst storm i have ever been in including the ones out west. The bike was dead straight into it or it would gotten blown away.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lewis posted on Facebook earlier today.

Anyone know if this storm affected Tellico Plains? Heading that way Friday...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Bartman,
I went to the Knox. UPS today on the way back from Newport. The hub was running on a generater (huge) they rented. They could not run a midnight sort last night and had 64 trailers that they could not unload. The package car drivedrs were on a paper clipboard (old school) because they could not upload the computer clipboards which will be a nightmare.
I was surprized to see the power was out from there (Calahan Rd) all the way past the scales on I40. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Ken

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Hope they get it back up soon. Many, I am sure do not have access to generators and replacing refrigerator/freezer contents can be expensive.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
We had alot of trees down in the neighborhood. Still no power tonight. Fortunately, nothing else was damaged. I got caught out on I40 on the bike in the first round and made it home before the tree fell across Campbell Sta Rd. Hopefully all this stuff will move on outta here before heading over to SMRI fish fry!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was at my church for vacation bible school last night when it started. To make matters worse I was on my new bike and had to ride home it the aftermath.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Bartman,
I went to the Knox. UPS today on the way back from Newport. The hub was running on a generater (huge) they rented. They could not run a midnight sort last night and had 64 trailers that they could not unload. The package car drivedrs were on a paper clipboard (old school) because they could not upload the computer clipboards which will be a nightmare.
I was surprized to see the power was out from there (Calahan Rd) all the way past the scales on I40. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Ken

God, I haven't delivered on paper in 20 years... That would suck!!! I'm sure the young kids will be totally lost.. Lol. I'm sure they'll want someone to enter it all into a computer too.. Good times!! LOL

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Power was restored Wed night. Phones and internet are just now back on.

This place was a mess. Rifle Range Rd (where we and TNCharlie are) is closed in a few sections due to downed power lines. It looked like they were going to have to replace maybe a 1/2 mile of them. Another storm hit last night and caused flooding and they were barking about a tornado (thanks to my father for calling and texting at 1am when I was dead to the world...lol).

We were lucky....some mild flooding in the warehouse. Cleaning up the usual leaves/downed limbs/debris.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts