GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing the Kriss headlight modulator on my '06 ABS. Not sure I would recommend this device. Works well, when I turn on my high beams, the hi beams modulate nicely. When I block the light sensor (as at night) the flashing stops as it should. I also rigged a minature switch, located in the left trunk pocket, that when switched, stops the modulation at all times. That way, if on a group ride, I can use my high beams as a signal and they won't modulate.

Why would I not recommend? Because installation was quite difficult. And the printed instructions, while extensive, were scattered and hard to follow. And I am a practicing A&P mechanic with extensive electrical experience. If you are going to modulate the high beams, you MUST remove the top shelter which I had to do anyway because I was installing a CB. But I also had to track down the right wires in the blue and grey connectors under the left pocket (don't attempt this job without a test light). And on my '06, the wiring isn't quite like what was on the instructions although the color codes were correct, the location was not. Oh well, if I had it do all over again, I would probably go with the Kisan even though many reported it was hard to install room-wise.

Ed
'06 ABS

·
Registered
202 Posts
I talked with a guy at Kriss when installing mine. He was shocked when I told him that most all here thought the directions were awful. He couldn't believe it. He said they were very simple. I think he is the one who wrote them. Anyway we talked for close to 40 min. as I hate to say it I told him I think I screwed mine up and knocked the ground loose which fried the unit. Anyway he told me that for the 06 they were thinking very seriously about doing away with the directions for using high beams due to the complisity (sp) of the install and was recomending 06's be hooked to low beams only.
===============
Cardinal Pilot said:
I just finished installing the Kriss headlight modulator on my '06 ABS. Not sure I would recommend this device. Works well, when I turn on my high beams, the hi beams modulate nicely. When I block the light sensor (as at night) the flashing stops as it should. I also rigged a minature switch, located in the left trunk pocket, that when switched, stops the modulation at all times. That way, if on a group ride, I can use my high beams as a signal and they won't modulate.

Why would I not recommend? Because installation was quite difficult. And the printed instructions, while extensive, were scattered and hard to follow. And I am a practicing A&P mechanic with extensive electrical experience. If you are going to modulate the high beams, you MUST remove the top shelter which I had to do anyway because I was installing a CB. But I also had to track down the right wires in the blue and grey connectors under the left pocket (don't attempt this job without a test light). And on my '06, the wiring isn't quite like what was on the instructions although the color codes were correct, the location was not. Oh well, if I had it do all over again, I would probably go with the Kisan even though many reported it was hard to install room-wise.

Ed
'06 ABS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts