GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the move I made, I find myself needing a tractor. 25-39hp or so. It’s going to have, to have, a loader, and I’d like a backhoe.
I have no history in this area, other than I have used pieces of equipment from both brands, and both worked ok.

4x4 visions only for me.
I would like a box blade, but may have to settle for a multi use rear 3 point push-pull blade.
So, do you guys know anything on this topic that might help me before the cash gets spent? Currently short on that but it’s going to have to happen sooner or later.:unsure:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I dont believe Deere has any US made under 100 HP.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
I have a Kubota L4400 4WD. I bought it in 2008 when I moved to the country. As the number signifies, it is 44 hp. It has a front end loader with a quick-change attachment so I can go back and forth between a bucket, and a grapple. I love the grapple. I usually keep a 5ft. brush hog on the rear, but I also have other attachments too. I would love a backhoe.

I can't say enough good things about the Kubota.

Glen

Reactions: Shiv and GLblinded

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a John Deere 2038R which I would recommend, it's 38 HP, has a backhoe which has saved me a lot of money since I've had it.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,866 Posts
Sorry in advance. My father-in-law was a farmer and one of his favorite jokes was about John Deere. He would say JD won’t stand behind all their products. LOL He would then say that they won’t stand behind their manure spreaders at all. :ROFLMAO: Sorry to interrupt but this post reminded me of a fine gentleman that I miss.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have a 30 hp kubota with a bucket and backhoe. I have a tiller, blade and mower with it. They work great and kubota seems to underrate their hp compared to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
319 Posts
See if you can get a front mount snowblower attachment for it down the road. Front mounts are way easier on ones neck and back than a rear mount. Maybe you don't get much snow where you are at in Mn but we got lots in Central NoDak back in the day.
Both are good machines as smaller John Deere's aren't the JD's of old as too many are made outside the US. JD's usually have some good low to no interest programs going on but are usually overpriced.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I’ve watched about as much as I can stand on these things, trying to learn.
turf? Ag? Or industrial tires? I’m actually considering turf tires and then chain up as needed.
is 1100 hrs on 1 of these things much? I’m thinking it isn’t. But both are little 3 cylinder diesels.
When you buy a brush hog, does it come with the PTO shaft? Or are there different levels of quality on those too?, and you must pick the best 1 you can afford?
How about lights, do you have lights on the ROPS? There is a lot of ‘night’ up here in the cold season. Even before the white unmentionable falls.
I’m limited by income of course, but the 3/4 ton suburban can only haul 16,000 lbs. then there is the trailer, the rental place has 15,000 lb. trailer rentals that they will let my pull with my truck, so that isn’t bad. Couple hundred for a weekend.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I would go with ag tires, unless your mowing a golf course. Turf tires will get you stuck in wet grass. I only use the lights that came on mine but it would be very easy to add more. Under 2000 hrs if taken care of should be fine. Over that may have expensive wear parts that need replaced. PTO shafts usually are bought when bush hog is purchased so if buying used it’s something to price new if needed.
These 30 hp midsize tractors only weigh close to 2000lbs. A light trailer can haul them easily.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
@GLblinded, I imported Chinese tractors for a while (Jinma), and restored Farmall Cubs and Super A's as a hobby. Used a Ford 8N as a kid and learned to drive with a power trailer behind me. I'm sure you have a lot of questions, and I'd be happy to have a phone call if you'd like more answers than will fit in a post.

Tires - Ag will tear up your lawn, especially if you corner much, and will get stuck on wet grass almost as readily as turf tires. If you don't have much for hills, stick with turf tires. If you chain them, either kind, keep the chains really loose, as tight chains will just spin too. The tires almost need to "walk" inside the chains for them to work without just digging your ruts deeper.

I've seen so many problems with John Deere tractors and mowers, and all the "safety" doodads they have on them nowadays that I'd never buy one. Complete crap from the smallest mower to the big stuff my brothers used on the blueberry fields in Maine carrying huge automated harvesters. The saying is "there's never just one thing wrong with a John Deere". But that's just my experience, others will certainly disagree.

If you're not handy, I'd go Kubota, but if you are, I'd keep it really simple. What I loved about the Jinma tractors was they were drop dead simple, kind of like the tractors back in the 50's. A lot of cast iron and a few moving parts. No solenoids, minimal electro-nannies, but the modern safety of seatbelts and ROPs. Those little 3-cylinder diesels are pretty bulletproof, and the Chinese ones come with a compression release lever. The batteries lasted forever, even through multiple winters with no tenders on them, so they must have been loaded up with depleted uranium or something bad for the environment. 12 speeds, dual-speed PTOs, full instrumentation, case weights, 4WD. Couldn't beat them for $5,000. Probably more expensive now, but probably better quality, too - Northern Tool sells the same tractor, or they did a few years back, just under another name.

As always, IMHO and YMMV.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Here is my tractor and use ag tires. It’s 4x4 and if you use it the fronts will bite in. I only use it if necessary. I worked in this industry for 35 years using John Deer , international, ford and kubota tractors. Mowed miles of interstate right of way up and down hills with grass I mow my own yard of 7 acres and my zero turn 72 inch mower is getting a new set of ag tires. Turf tires are ok on flat dry grass. I have not owned any of the Chinese knock offs but the ones I have been around are very rough craftsmanship and good luck with parts when needed. I would rather have a used kabota than two new Chinese brands. I grew up on a farm and we were JD green bloods. My dad rolled his eyes when I bought a kabota until he drove it. I was fortunate to be able to use a lot of brands over the years to make my decision.
IMG_3186.JPG

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

FLAT !! Ha, the only flat land in this swamp is in the house and garage. So no on the turf tire’s, got it. (y) Oh these are level shots by the way, I have an 8 percent grade into the garage On gravel. It’s a big pucker factor on 900 lbs machines. But the misses has an 8 minute drive to work and that’s why it is happening.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Just and FYI of 1 data point. My son in law bought a brand new Kubota a couple of years ago. He has had numerous issues with the hydraulics and PTO, it has been in the shop far too much for a tractor I am guessing to have less than 200 hours on it. It's probably just a lemon but he is done with Kubota, wishes he'd bought a Deere

·
Registered
394 Posts
bought a 39 hp Kubota after I learned the hydro-stat JD had to be in their shop hooked to their computer if it needed repair. I have quick attach front loader, forklift, back blade, auger, and brush hog. Have been greatly pleased - lust for the back-hoe. BTW, the JD dealer told me their same size tractor wasn't even Japanese. It is Romanian. YMMV
Shiv

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Sorry for the long post.

I was in a similar situation in 1998 or so. I had just purchased 8 acres for a home. The land was basically wooded with pines and hardwoods.

I got a local group to selectively cut down some of the pines (my father and I marked the trees to be cut) and then we had another firm clear a couple of areas (one near the house for a drain field and the other in front of the spot I was going to build an observatory.

I looked at John Deere, and had a bad experience with the local dealer when I tired to purchase a used 4 wheel drive Deere (I did have a small gas engined John Deere lawn tractor which I purchased as a beginning point, no mower, just used it to move stuff and trash and debris. The Deere's engine failed about 10 years later and I was told that it was the governor which required engine disassembly to fix and it wouldn't be worth it, another bad experience with a Deere dealer.)

So, in 1998 I needed a real tractor (still have the little Deere at this time). I selected a two wheel drive Massey Ferguson, MF 1250 (its about 25 HP, need to look to be sure), I purchased, with the tractor, a bush hog, a box blade and a trash rake. The box blade and the trash rake where used but not as well as I thought they would work. They are good for moving trash but not for raking. The box blade behind the tractor can be used for moving stuff but its hard to use to pull stuff, moving forward since the tractor goes up and down over the stuff you want to move and that raises and lowers the blade. But, if you use it to push as you reverse the tractor it will work.

The bush hog works and works well. There are several types but the ones I have seen recently should work well.

I also purchased a disk harrow (which I have yet to use) and a "Land Plane" and a thing that is like a chain link fence you drag behind the tractor. The land plane is a must have if you wish to grade your gravel or dirt drive way and the chain link fence thing is the followup for make it more levels.

I also purchased a could of single bald plows. One that will allow me to dig deeply with a single furrow and the other is a more board blade for opening furrows.

The tractor is now 22 years old, has about 600 hours (I know not many hours) and I have only had one issue and that was an problem with wear on the cooling system, just do to water erosion on parts after 22 years.

It has AG tires and they are good for initial work but after the heavy work is done, it would like to have what I think they call "industrial" tires which I have been told is half way between the AG tires and the turf tires. I replaced the rear tires last year (well had it done).

A front end loader would have been nice to have but, unless you can easily remove it, it does limit work you can do on wooded areas (which I have on most of my 8 acres).

Today, if I were going to buy a replacement tractor I would either buy a Massey Ferguson or a Kioti. I have found a local dealer, where I purchased the parts to repair my tractor and we had several discussions about new tractors.

I would not buy a John Deere as noted about, my experience with them has been pretty negative.

You can also go to this forum for more information. I have used them to help me trouble shoot issues on my MF.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Construction tires would work best around the yard without tearing up things like ag tires which have the high angled bars would do. Born and raised on a farm/ranch and did so for 60 years and we had all different tires on our mowers, tractors, bobcats, and backhoes. Make sure you go 4x4 being you will use in the winter.
The picture above with the Kubota is construction tires not ag tires.
Turf tires you don't want.
The rear tires on the Massey Ferguson below is ag tires.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
On other note, I did find out the hard way that the bush hog on my MF 1250 is heavy and it is entirely possible to have the front end lift off the ground if you are not careful. A front end loader will solve that problem but you have the added issue of length of device. I added two suitcase weights to the front bar (designed for that purpose). Don't know how have they are but they just slid on.
IMG_0453.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts