GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to publicly say how pleased I am with Garmin's customer service. My 2720 developed condensation on the screen, first noticed on our polar bear run on New Year's day. Made the display quite difficult to read. While I was not in the lead nor in charge of the route this year, I do use my GPS quite a bit, and plan to use it to route my summer trip. I wrote to Garmin and explained the situation, and received an email within two days, with instructions and an RMA number for shipping the unit back to them. I sent it back, and then had to live through a week without power at my house due to an ice storm (southwest Missouri). They completed the work and sent the unit back to me in only a week. Actually they sent me a new unit, transferring all my data to the new unit.

Great service!!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
That is nice to hear. Especially the quick turn around. I hope my current Garmin gives me the same service as my other one did. So far it seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Garmin replaced my 2730 unit with condensation with a brand new 2820 unit with Bluetooth so I was quite pleased with that wonderful response from customer service.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I also can't say enough about their customer support. The folks in software are also super. When my new 2820 came the Cigarette power cable was defective, sent me another one overnight UPS.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Garmin is the cats butt when it comes to customer service....

They treated me great too, highly recommended..... :D

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
It's nice to read that Garmins customer support is first rate.

The condensation problem seems to be problem with all the Garmin 26xx/27xx/28xx series units while on a motorcycle. Everyone I know who has one of these models has at one point had condensation inside the screen while it was on a motorcycle. When it happens to my 2610 from time to time, I leave the CF compartment door open to vent out the moisture from the unit. With the CF compartment door open, it only takes a few miles for the condensation to clear up and there has been no ill effects caused by the condensation with my 2610...besides it getting on my nerves. The condensation problem has been the only glitch that I have had with my Garmin, otherwise it has performed flawlessly. I have never had the condensation problem when the unit is in my truck or car.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roadie said:
It's nice to read that Garmins customer support is first rate.

The condensation problem seems to be problem with all the Garmin 26xx/27xx/28xx series units while on a motorcycle. ... I have never had the condensation problem when the unit is in my truck or car.
So, do ya think I should practice removing it from the bike, especially in cold weather? The original unit might have been rained on once, but not more than that. Now that I have a new unit, I'd like to learn what I should do to not have this happen again.

Maybe they changed/improved the design of the screens in later units. They certainly gave me no grief about effecting a repair.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am getting into the habit of taking my 2820 off of my bike until I need it to ride. Therefore it has less chance to build up humidity inside the unit. Also, if you leave it on the bike I would at least leave the plastic rain cover on it until you get ready to ride.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
So, do ya think I should practice removing it from the bike, especially in cold weather? The original unit might have been rained on once, but not more than that. Now that I have a new unit, I'd like to learn what I should do to not have this happen again.

Maybe they changed/improved the design of the screens in later units. They certainly gave me no grief about effecting a repair.

I have tried removing my 2610 from the bike and storing it inside the house and it made no difference with the condensation problem with my unit. Storing the unit inside the house when it's cold outside does help the LCD screen warm up faster which seems to make it brighter in cold weather, so I keep my unit in the house in the winter. I also bought the plastic cover that comes with the 27xx/28xx units and keep the screen on my 2610 covered when parked and still I have had condensation from time to time. The only thing that has seemed to work pretty fast for my 2610 when there is some condensation is to leave the CF compartment door open and then it clears within a few miles. Here is what someone at Garmin said about the condensation...I got it from another post.

This is the response to the fogging issue from an automotive support supervisor at Garmin.
With regards to the 2730 there will be two instances where the possibility of fogging will arise:

* A unit with "humid" air inside exposed to the hot sun, yet with air
blowing on the unit that will to cool off the touchscreen quicker than the
rest of the unit. In this case you may have a "terrarium" effect. The
sunlight, and unit circuit operation, heats up the air inside while the
outside air cools the touch panel relative to the inside of the unit. The
cooler temperature of the touch panel relative to the inside air temperature of the unit causes moisture to condense on the back of the touch panel and perhaps also inside the touch panel (between glass and film). It eventually goes away.

* Cold weather, and unit is stored in a warm area where it may be more humid that outside. Bringing the unit outside into the cold will cool down the touch panel quicker than the rest of the chassis, and so internal moisture will condense there temporarily. Again, the cooler temperature of the touch panel relative to the inside air temperature of the unit causes moisture to condense on the back of the touch panel and perhaps also inside the touch panel (between glass and film). Again this will go away.
In either case we have never had a unit result in damage because of these phenomenons. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Brian Borjas
Automotive Support Supervisor
1-800-800-1020

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm

Again, the cooler temperature of the touch panel relative to the inside air temperature of the unit causes moisture to condense on the back of the touch panel and perhaps also inside the touch panel (between glass and film).
This would seem to say that if I store the unit with the motorcycle, in an unheated garage, it would not be cooler than the air on the inside of the unit, so I should not have a problem.

Besides, the 2720 does not have any slots or other such openings to the outside, so opening the CF slot, as someone suggested, will not work for me. Nevertheless, Garmin did not question it. They replaced my 2720 with a new unit. I have not had a chance yet to get the scooter out of the garage since receiving it. Perhaps later this week, when the ice is gone...

Meanwhile, I have the new unit sitting on my dining room table, where it will stay until ready for use.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Roadie said:
I have never had the condensation problem when the unit is in my truck or car.
I've ridden many miles with the GPS onboard and have never had that problem with my 2610. I wonder what causes it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WB0SPL said:
I've ridden many miles with the GPS onboard and have never had that problem with my 2610. I wonder what causes it?
I believe I've read 'delamination' of the display.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Forget about the delamination issue as that is not the cause of the problem in this case. It is condensation and I was told this by a technical rep from Garmin and they are fully AWARE of the PROBLEM and that is why they replace the unit without any hassle.

Some units are sealed better than others and the ones that aren't tend to have this problem because of humidity buildup.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
xxxrider said:
... Some units are sealed better than others and the ones that aren't tend to have this problem because of humidity buildup.
None of them are fully sealed - there are vent holes in the back of the case behind the mount adjustment plate that are open to the atmosphere. The case needs to be vented to allow the unit to accomodate temperature (and pressure) changes in the unit. (Or it needs to be more rigidly sealed than this model is)

·
Registered
23 Posts
RetAF said:
I would like to publicly say how pleased I am with Garmin's customer service. ...
Great service!!
+1

Just got back my 2610 that had a touchscreen that would not calibrate. They replaced the unit in just one week!!

That's what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE!! :clap2:

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, I was told that internally certain important and key parts were sealed and maybe that was the problem or maybe somebody in the tech dept. was blowing SMOKE up my A$$!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Jon said:
xxxrider said:
... Some units are sealed better than others and the ones that aren't tend to have this problem because of humidity buildup.
None of them are fully sealed - there are vent holes in the back of the case behind the mount adjustment plate that are open to the atmosphere. The case needs to be vented to allow the unit to accomodate temperature (and pressure) changes in the unit. (Or it needs to be more rigidly sealed than this model is)
Then makes me wonder if the Zumo550 is going to have th esame problems as these other units. I hope not, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The ZUMO is built on a different platform than the Streetpilot Series according to Jon, I can't remember what series it is patterned after but I think it is a totally different unit so it probably won't have that problem.

They must have different manufacturers producing different lines or series of products so maybe one manufacturer got it right and the other one didn't.

Jon, what do you say!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts