GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Note--I should have said that the CIL, which stands for "Clutch Initialization Learning" is an easy, DCT-specific process to adjust the DCT's clutch plates; the user can easily run the process while astride the bike. See written instructions below in Post 5 and Fred H's video--thanks, Fred--in Post 6 and GoldWingrGreg in Post 16, which tells you where to find this in the Factory Manual.)

I had a few minutes to kill waiting for a friend, so I ran the CIL. Took about 60 seconds in all. Not as dramatic an improvement as after the first time, but it helped a bit. What I thought about while running it was how thoughtful it is that Honda gave me a simple procedure to do this by myself. I've owned a lot of bikes, and I don't believe any other manufacturer would have provided a user with a simple way to make this adjustment. I believe other manufacturers would have made this a mileage-specific, dealer-only, scheduled-maintenance item. Given how much b**ching we do about perceived flaws, I think this is great engineering and exceptionally customer-friendly of Honda. They did this right, and I wanted to say that.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pardon my ignorance but what is this 'CIP' you refer too?
Abject apologies, TravelingMan and any others I may have baffled; I should have explained for non-DCT owners. This is a DCT-specific thing. CIP is "Clutch Initialization Procedure." It's a built-in routine that adjusts the DCT's clutch plates to restore proper clearances after a bit of wear. The procedure can be initiated while sitting on the bike with an easy set of commands. It makes shifting smoother when it has gotten a bit rough over time as clutch-plate clearances change from wear.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the procedure described in the Owners Manual furnished with each new Wing?
If it is, I haven't found it. I think it's in the factory manual. Very easy. Here's the procedure:

1. Process won't work with a cold engine. Ride the bike 5-10 miles to make sure engine oil is up to temperature.
2. If on center stand be sure to set the parking brake or chock the rear wheel to keep it from rotating.
3. With bike turned off, hold the D button while turning on the ignition. Watch for mil light on dash to go off. As soon as it goes off let go of the D button.
4. Now press D,D,N,D,N in succession. Look for flashing bar next to the D indicator. If it’s not flashing the engine oil may not be up to temperature. Warm up engine and try again.
5. Start the engine like normal and let it go through the initialization process. (do not touch the brake or throttle)
6. Watch for the display to change back to tour mode and neutral, this indicates the procedure has been completed and you can turn off the bike..

·
Registered
612 Posts
It’s interesting how many people come to the 2018 Gl1800 section of this forum but somehow don’t look at the every top 5 postings. Two of the top five list DCT CIP and what it is and how to do the procedure.

Maybe the moderator should label one of them in large bold letters that never fade so newbies will see them. Maybe it will reduce the number of repetitive DCT CIP post.

I know, I’m just playing the>:) advocate.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s interesting how many people come to the 2018 Gl1800 section of this forum but somehow don’t look at the every top 5 postings. Two of the top five list DCT CIP and what it is and how to do the procedure.

Maybe the moderator should label one of them in large bold letters that never fade so newbies will see them. Maybe it will reduce the number of repetitive DCT CIP post.

It's like reading the manual, which almost no one does.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's probably not in the owners manual, but appears in the service manual because Honda says the procedure is done when the Powertrain Control Module or clutch pack is replaced. By this omission it doesn't appear that Honda ever intended CIP to be a regular maintenance item.

It's never been suggested by Honda as something an owner should periodically do or do when transmission operation may require attention however the initialization procedure seems to help and has become something to try first before seeking a DCT certified technician.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
It's never been suggested by Honda as something an owner should periodically do or do when transmission operation may require attention however the initialization procedure seems to help and has become something to try first before seeking a DCT certified technician.

FYI, it isn't in the manual as a recommendation, but an Engineer at Honda in Japan advised me to do it after I reported some odd shifting behavior. And after performing it, my problems all went away. So it has been suggested by Honda, to me at least, to do it.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I've gotten strange places by the active topics menu or recent discussions links on the right.. so some may not know where they are...

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI, it isn't in the manual as a recommendation, but an Engineer at Honda in Japan advised me to do it after I reported some odd shifting behavior. And after performing it, my problems all went away. So it has been suggested by Honda, to me at least, to do it.
Thanks. Wherever it came from, it's useful and convenient. If I had a wish about it, it would be that they put an entry into the System Settings menu that kicked it off, but really it's easy enough without that. If you commit the sequence to memory, you can run the process to completion at a long stop light.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
867 Posts

A newbie here. I'm NOT complaining/whining..................just want to answer while I'm still in the newbie mode so to speak. I've only been on the site again ( was on it several years ago ) for about a week. I definitely 'get' your point. Speaking just for myself and MAYBE other newbies, I have first tried to search the site by post, by thread, looking around a bit, etc. when I want information.

It almost never works the way I ( in my head ) would like it to. It almost never gives me the info. I'm looking for. Soooooo ............I just start a new thread and watch/keep track of it. WAY easier. Like one of my other posts, " I can't be the only one.... ."

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A newbie here. I'm NOT complaining/whining..................just want to answer while I'm still in the newbie mode so to speak. I've only been on the site again ( was on it several years ago ) for about a week. I definitely 'get' your point. Speaking just for myself and MAYBE other newbies, I have first tried to search the site by post, by thread, looking around a bit, etc. when I want information.

It almost never works the way I ( in my head ) would like it to. It almost never gives me the info. I'm looking for. Soooooo ............I just start a new thread and watch/keep track of it. WAY easier. Like one of my other posts, " I can't be the only one.... ."
We were all newbies once. Don't worry about it. Being given a hard time is one of the sacraments. Also, complaining/whining is a problem only when its other people. When it's you doing the complaining/whining, it's totally acceptable.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I can see how you came to that conclusion.

·
Registered
867 Posts
We were all newbies once. Don't worry about it. Being given a hard time is one of the sacraments. Also, complaining/whining is a problem only when its other people. When it's you doing the complaining/whining, it's totally acceptable.
:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
(Note--I should have said that the CIP, which stands for "Clutch Initialization Procedure" ....
Honda calls it a "Clutch Initialization Learning."

For a correct set of instructions see Service Manual > index > clutch initialization learning. In my manual 11-64.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honda calls it a "Clutch Initialization Learning."

For a correct set of instructions see Service Manual > index > clutch initialization learning. In my manual 11-64.
Thank you, Greg. I have updated my original post accordingly.

Where do you find these pictures of these beautiful women?

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Thank you, Greg. I have updated my original post accordingly.

Where do you find these pictures of these beautiful women?
I download them from my camera :wink2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts