GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have to give credit where credit is due. Last month I railed against Maxim Motorsports in Allen, TX regarding their refusal to honor the marked price of an accessory item. When I went to purchase the item with a 30% discount coupon, they said the item had increased in price $20 and they could not honor the discount on the marked price.

Apparently, someone must have forwarded a link to that thread to someone at Maxim. A little over a week ago I received an email from Chris Gunter, their Parts and Accessories Manager who apologized for the situation and asked for "another chance" to make things right. He offered to honor the original marked price with the discount and even a special "bonus" for my trouble. I replied that I would take him up on his offer.

Yesterday I returned to Maxim and spoke to Bob Landry in Parts and Accessories. He had the item in question (a Kury fork brace) waiting with my name on it. He rung me up at the original price, less the discount and fulfilled Chris' promise of an extra "bonus" (which I told them was uneccessary).

So, in summary, Maxim did do the right thing by rectifying this situation. In hindsight, I probably should have approached someone in management there before taking my grievance to this board. Nevertheless, my course was effective in getting results. I am convinced that the management at Maxim is concerned about their reputation and customer service and appears to go out of their way to make things right when they screw up (which, by the way, we all do).

With so many negative posts about Honda dealerships, I felt like it was only fair to let everyone hear a "good news" story.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Chris, I think you did the right thing by posting this message. We all make mistakes and most can be solved. I know both Bob and Chris at Maxim Motorsports and both do the best they can to help their customers. By the way what do you think of their new store? You can't stop in just any Honda Dealership and get Starbucks coffee.........................

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You kniw, there's a "biblical" way of handling these things. Always go to the persn individually first, whether it be a supervisor or manager. Then if you don't get any satisfaction, go to several others and bring them to talk to the person and/or his boss. Then, and only then, go public with your gripe if the situation has not been resolved. Saves having to eat a lot of crow (don't ask how I know this ...).

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
466 Posts
BigBird05 said:
........Nevertheless, my course was effective in getting results.......
Guess that depends on your definition of "effective". If you mean you got far more than you deserved after your tirade and unfair characterizations of the dealership then, yes, your course was effective. They took the high road despite your actions. I would hope you keep that in mind the next time a dealer doesn't meet your "expectations".

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill R said:
BigBird05 said:
........Nevertheless, my course was effective in getting results.......
Guess that depends on your definition of "effective". If you mean you got far more than you deserved after your tirade and unfair characterizations of the dealership then, yes, your course was effective. They took the high road despite your actions. I would hope you keep that in mind the next time a dealer doesn't meet your "expectations".
I am sorry you feel that way.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The only question is whould he have gotten the results if he had not posted? no one knows for sure, but this did work.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rinkopr said:
The only question is whould he have gotten the results if he had not posted? no one knows for sure, but this did work.
Knowing those folks as I do, had he spoken to Chris or Bob the situation would have been resolved on the spot. They weren't given a fair chance to correct a mistake.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill R said:
Rinkopr said:
Knowing those folks as I do, had he spoken to Chris or Bob the situation would have been resolved on the spot. They weren't given a fair chance to correct a mistake.
I tend to agree that the situation would have been resolved if I had spoken to Bob or Chris. However, the girl who rang me up originally and saw the discrepency of the mis-priced item sought guidance from someone who SHE considered to be an authority. I "assumed" that this person must have been the parts manager since SHE went to him for authorization. HE is the one that said they could not honor the marked price with the discount. Had the girl been the only one involved, I would have been more likely to seek a "higher authority". As it was, I assumed that HE was the higher authority.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well actually BigBird05 I am glad you had the intestinal fortitude to post this second message. It shows integrity.

I don't know you Bill R. It seems as if you have a good history with this dealership. That being said IF I went into it and the same jerk waited on me and gave me the **** and bull story as they did to BigBird05 then MY reaction would have been the same. It's wonderful that there are 2 managers that will "make things right". But why is it MY (or any others) responsibility to train them? If the management can't train their help properly, OR if that really is the modus NOT to offer the real discount then there is a problem. My time is just as valuable as anyone elses. I don't have time to make sure the dealership "does the right thing". IF I have to take that time then MOST likely I won't go back.

As far as posting it here before trying to resolve it goes, I think it's a perspective issue. IF it happened to me more than likely I would have protested VERY loudly and asked to speak to a manager BEFORE I posted.

No offense or disrespect intended to you BillR just giving you how I feel, not knowing any of you or the dealership.

FF

·
Registered
466 Posts
Freddie,

No offense taken. I agree that the folks in the dealership were wrong, presuming that we got the whole story. As customers, we shouldn't have to push a dealer to honor a deal. But mistakes happen. The true measure of dealer is how they react to the mistakes. Given the fact that Chris sought him out to rectify this, I would say that Maxim is intent on doing the right thing.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill R said:
Freddie,

No offense taken. I agree that the folks in the dealership were wrong, presuming that we got the whole story. As customers, we shouldn't have to push a dealer to honor a deal. But mistakes happen. The true measure of dealer is how they react to the mistakes. Given the fact that Chris sought him out to rectify this, I would say that Maxim is intent on doing the right thing.
That is the whole point of this post. I totally agree with you that Maxim does seem intent on doing the right thing. My mistake was in "assuming" that it was a manager making the call originally, when apparently, it was just a supervisor of some sort.

Really this whole situation could have been avoided if Maxim's employees were "empowered" to make decisions that they think are fair. The girl who originally rang me up WANTED to give me the discount on the marked price but did not know how to get the computer register to give her the $219 price instead of $239. That is when she sought the advice of the supervisor and the whole thing deteriorated from there. I don't think the "supervisor" who refused the discount is a "jerk" (as referred to by FastFreddie), I just don't think he had the authority (empowerment) to make the right call. Probably just a training issue.

Also, I would not have posted the original message had I not had 2 previous unsatisfactory experiences with Maxim. I was seeing a pattern developing. In spite of that, I am impressed with the fact that Chris took the time to contact me and make things right. That indicates that IF you get through to the managment at Maxim, they are customer-oriented.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'll make one last comment, then bow out of this discussion. It's become pointless.

I agree there is a pattern here, but not the one you're suggesting. As I said before, the response you've gotten from Maxim is far more than you deserve. In your original post (http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74127&highlight=)you complained about something completely beyond their control after claiming they would not have met the price you got from an out of town dealer. Funny thing is, you have no idea if they would or not because you didn't try. Sorry, but I still believe your inflammatory remarks about Maxim were premature and unnecessary. One has to wonder if the guy at Maxim was the only "jerk" in this.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do make a valid point. I never did go back and see if Maxim would match the price I got in Missouri, so I cannot say for sure that they would not have been able to do so.

I guess the old axiom of "the customer is always right" has pretty much gone out the window.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Bill R said:
Freddie,

At least AFTER it shows up on an open forum where LOT'S of gl owners hang out .........................chuck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chris, You did the right thing to post that Maxim came back to you to make things right. The easy thing to do would have been to let Maxim make you whole and then say nothing on the board. Anyway, that's my opinion. In the end, all parties should be satisfied.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is an interesting sidenote to this story:

I went to my local Sears store today to purchase a workbench. I found the one I wanted which had a SALE price of $251.99 ($28 off). The salesman rang me up and I noticed the total with tax was $302 which seemed kind of high. When I asked him, he said the item was $279. I said "no, the sign said it is on sale for $251". He went back and grabbed the sign and mentioned to another employee that the sale had ended yesterday. He seemed a little disgusted that the other employee had not taken the sign down. WITHOUT ANY PROMPTING FROM ME, he tore up my ticket and re-entered the item at the $251 price.

THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Maxim

I have started using Maxim and just had some major service done to the bike when it turned 100K.
They turned the bike around in record time, and for the first time, a honda dealer called me about all the recalls (none of which I had previously had done because no Honda dealers in the Fort Worth area would do them). They did them all, but the ECM by my request, including the frame reweld. I took it in Tuesday and got it back on Saturday afternoon. They actually charged me less than they quoted me on the service.
I have found that they are a quality operation with people who will do what it takes to get thing done. They will get all my service business from now on, even though they are a pain to get to from Fort Worth.
Finally a dealer with some integrity and pride in what they do.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
discounts

:) ok guys,allow me to enter my 02 cents worth.i am a assistant service manager at a chevy dealership in harrisburg pa,and we have one motto,the customer is always right,WITHIN REASON.if a customer comes in with one of our coupons that expired 6 months ago,HONOR IT NO QUESTION ASKED.if they have a discount coupon that causes me to lose money on one item,HONOR IT,ILL MAKE IT UP ON THE NEXT SALE.my point being they leave happy and come back to me again and again.i have been here doing this job for 14 years,the dealership has been open for 75 years,thats success.soo the moral of the story is the discount should have been honored on the spot and then none of this debate would be an issue.THEY SCREWED UP.lucky for them they have made it right and the consumer will give them a second chance.a retailer does not always get that chance,the consumer just takes there money elsewere,thats what i do when i feel slighted. :oops: OLE YELLER MBG PA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts