GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode to work this morning and back, in the rain! There is much more grip than the Stone Rear! I downshifted to test, it stuck! I up-shifted to test, it stuck! I cornered to test, I LIKE! NUFF SAID!!!!!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I would guess that pretty much everyone here would agree the a mc tire will slip in wet stuff well before ct with everything else being equal. I'm thinking that the Kuhmo and the Eufori are pretty equal in the traction department wet or dry. I think you will find that a lot of parts will drag big time and the ct still will not slip. You might be able to get it to jump some if you are hard over dragging parts and you down shift and jump on the throttle all at once. Let me what happens!!! :lol: When I left for work this morning it was dry and about 38 degrees. Half way to work the temp had dropped to 34 degrees. At this time I'm now noticing slush on the road sides, and between lanes. The ground along side the freeway was covered in a fresh coat of white. By the time I got to work, it was near freezing, with patches of ice on the road along with compact snow. Damn I love that Eufori... what a great tire in the icy northwet.....

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, "ICE Test" for ME,:eek:4: I would'nt! We don't have much,:22yikes:! Gotta Love "TEXAS"! Sorry....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I like the Kumho a lot. Holds well in the wet , but I trust no tire on ice or in snow. If I see one snowflake the bike is parked till the sun shines and it is over 40 degrees. Even cars will not hold on ice, call me a wussie, but ice and snow I do not play.

Kit

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:yes1: :doorag:

·
Registered
368 Posts
This was on a dry road but a spot that I like to do a little burnout occasionally had the Kumho surprise me. I hit the throttle hard but the rear end didn't break loose, the front end came up instead. Just a little wheelie but it surprised me.:shock:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Whether to ride on ice and snow or not is not a choice I get to make, the Wing is my only form of transport, one of the main reasons I switched to the CT. It was 23 degrees when I set of for work yesterday morning, I took the cover off the bike and couldn't fold it up, frozen solid! Although I agree that no tire is good in those sort of conditions, I find the main benefit of the CT in adverse weather to be the very thing that naysayers have a problem with, the 'squareness' of it.
The difference in handling with the CT in snow compared to a MC tire is extreme to say the least (and I'm pretty sure the super deep tread on the Sport Demon helped as well). With a MC tire I found I only really got one chance with a 'slip' in the snow, and if unlucky, the bike would go out from under me. But with the 7 inch width of rubber on the CT, the bike was upright, and slips and slides, although still not enjoyable, were much more controllable. Obviously there is still the front end to worry about, but on the whole, the bike is much, much more stable.
I still get looks of disbelief from the neighbours as I arrive back home looking like a mobile snowman and await the normal comments of "Isn't it time you bought a car?...."
I would still be out in it if I had stayed with the MC tire, I just feel a lot safer these days.
It's a shame I like the Eufori so much as I would like to try the Kuhmo, but I just cant see the ride getting any better than it already is!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::bow:;):popcorn:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
While I'm a devout Pirelli [email protected] fan..I got to say I like the word "Kumho"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+SPT+XRP&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=955VR6KU31XRP&fromCompare1=yes&place=4

A word of caution here:
Never never--When out riding with your co-rider say the word "Kumho",When another biker asks what tire is that you have on your bike,Or you'll get your noggin whacked by your co-rider for sure!! :eek:4:

You got to understand-Rocky is as twisted as the roads he rides. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm waiting for Alskn Rider to chime it. He rides in snow all winter.

S

·
0 Posts
Unfortunately I am currently stuck with a CR on the rear of my STealth Trike and I will tell you it is absolutely worthless if the road is wet or the least bit snow covered. Just the opposite for the GL and Valk which are CT equiped

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
I rode to work this morning and back, in the rain! There is much more grip than the Stone Rear! I downshifted to test, it stuck! I up-shifted to test, it stuck! I cornered to test, I LIKE! NUFF SAID!!!!!
Other than the run flat capability, the traction in the rain of the car tire is way up on the list of attributes :thumbup: ! The difference between the CT and the MT when riding in the rain is unbelievable :yes1: !

R

·
0 Posts
Just to add a little flavor to this thread Kumho means "bright lake" in Korean.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Khumo tires

So looking at the Kumho tire size chart, is states that the 195/55R16 is designed for a rim 5.5-7 inches in width.

Since I believe the GL1800 rim is 5.0...aren't you guys concerned that the tire is not really seated correctly on the rim? Or was I looking at the wrong tire size? Or?

Anyway, thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire_SizeChart.aspx?id=48

S

·
0 Posts
Since I believe the GL1800 rim is 5.0...aren't you guys concerned that the tire is not really seated correctly on the rim?
No concerns what so ever here.

I believe the rim is actually 5.5" wide but still I would say No especially when looking back at all the miles placed on 2.5" wide rims and 4" wide bias car and truck tires (Chopper days) Keep in mind this is nothing new and to date I don't believe I ever heard of one CT on a MC related incident. Fact is it's more likely you will have a handling problem with a spring/shock change than a CT upgrade, at least that's the finger shaker version ;)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
No concerns what so ever here.

I believe the rim is actually 5.5" wide
The GL rim is the same width as my Rocket III Touring (5.0")..
While outside of what the tire manufacturer designed, it's better to be a little narrow than too wide IMHO..

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I believe in the "engineering margin of error".

Close enough.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Many Valk and some Wing owners (including yours truly) are running CT's 205mm (8 inches) wide without any problems at all.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
So looking at the Kumho tire size chart, is states that the 195/55R16 is designed for a rim 5.5-7 inches in width.

Since I believe the GL1800 rim is 5.0...aren't you guys concerned that the tire is not really seated correctly on the rim? Or was I looking at the wrong tire size? Or?

Anyway, thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire_SizeChart.aspx?id=48
It doesn't leak on the rim. Also I have run mine several times dead flat at 60mph + without incident. Jerked out the screw inserted plug and ran the tire an additional 12k miles. Cheers...:doorag:

S

·
0 Posts
I have to agree the 195/205 work fine and as stated narrow is better than to wide especially when it's sidewall flex the enable the leaning and fine handling.
175 would certainly be an upgrade however as it would help negate that one quirk of rut following. While this is minor it still makes sense to go narrow rather than wide - wide is for show narrow is for go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts