GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow darksiders a couple of questions for all of you. I planed a ride with the SO and checked the tire pressure and it was at 26 psi. I had checked it a couple of times before this ride, and there were no deviations prior to setting it at 34 psi upon initial installation about 8K ago. Reading the writing on the tire it says do not use without TPMS, ugh don't have that so I guess I am winging it. Second thought, is I am ready to head out to Jackson Wy Wednesday in the am, so I am checking the bike over and noticed the bike tire tread is scalloped but plenty of tread left both on the rib side and plenty on the centerline. I am not really concerned but would likes some insight as to what you folks are seeing.
Just to let you know I have probably half of the tire life two up towing a leesurlite camp trailer through the mountains and being somewhat conservative, otherwise I am game.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
scalloping

I would guess the scalloping is from riding under inflated. I had that happen to me with a Perelli when I had a valve core go bad. Left on a 600 mi trip and next day some spirited riding on twisties with my SO on the back. Heard some humming on turns and when I checked the tire pressure it was down to about 15lbs. I put in a new valve gut and put it back to 34 lbs. Noise was gone, no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I agree with Gary on the low pressure as I have never seen a CT cup/scallop on a bike. I have run my run-flat tires low (intentionally) for a few miles to feel what they were like, but not long enough to cup.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have also experienced scallopping, but on a Pirelli. I check the pressure before every ride, and have never been below 36. I am still looking for my ideal pressure so I have run anything from 36 to 41. The tire started humming at around 7,000 miles in left hand turns, and when I checked it I noticed that only the left side was scallopped, but the right side is fine. I think the common link is that we always ride two up heavy and as spirited as conditions allow. Still beats the 6,000 miles I got out of the original tire.

Put the Pirelli on in April and cannot be happier with it, even with its new song.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Hey Bugs, since moving to lake Caroline have you come through Winchester? Let me know sometime you are coming through and maybe we can roll up a little asphalt.;)

For the life of me I can't see how your are getting even wear (across the tire) out of that Pirelli [email protected] running it at 36 psi and above. But hey, if it works for ya, then that is the ticket.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I too had some scalloping but very slight.

I ran a Pirelli [email protected] for 7k miles heavily loaded (I'm guessing 455lbs total with 44lbs levered off the back on a hitch rack). Went out to Utah and back for 3 weeks.

Ran that tire at 32-34 the entire time.

After 12.5k (most of it 2-up), the tire was 1/32 to the wear bars in the center and it had just a hint of scalloping on both edges. The scalloping was never enough to initiate any noise or vibrations though. The scalloping was so faint, I really couldn't see it. It was only by rubing my hand along the side tread could I tell the tire was scalloping.

But even at 12.5k miles, it was the first time I removed a rear tire on the Wing solely because of wear bars coming up. Every other tire was due to severe cupping. :thumbup:

I have also experienced scallopping, but on a Pirelli. I check the pressure before every ride, and have never been below 36. I am still looking for my ideal pressure so I have run anything from 36 to 41. The tire started humming at around 7,000 miles in left hand turns, and when I checked it I noticed that only the left side was scallopped, but the right side is fine. I think the common link is that we always ride two up heavy and as spirited as conditions allow. Still beats the 6,000 miles I got out of the original tire.

Put the Pirelli on in April and cannot be happier with it, even with its new song.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I bumped the tire pressure up to 36 psi. Have to be in Jackson Wy Friday afternoon. It is 950 miles one way so will keep an eye on it. The scalloping is not very significant but is there.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hey Bugs, since moving to lake Caroline have you come through Winchester? Let me know sometime you are coming through and maybe we can roll up a little asphalt.;)

I have family in PA and pass through alot, but it has been too daggone hot for my yankee blood to get much riding in lately. Once things cool down a bit outside, (and at work) I may take you up on that. I haven't made a run through Paw Paw to Cumberland for JJ's wings in a while and could go for some.

Last time I was through was on my way to Canada next to last week in June. Pulled into Sheetz on 522 for a break and one of the clerks was outside and recognized the ct on the back asked me about it. He said someone came into the store all the time with one on. If it was you, you made a very good impression on him.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

I have family in PA and pass through alot, but it has been too daggone hot for my yankee blood to get much riding in lately. Once things cool down a bit outside, (and at work) I may take you up on that. I haven't made a run through Paw Paw to Cumberland for JJ's wings in a while and could go for some.

Last time I was through was on my way to Canada next to last week in June. Pulled into Sheetz on 522 for a break and one of the clerks was outside and recognized the ct on the back asked me about it. He said someone came into the store all the time with one on. If it was you, you made a very good impression on him.
Yes Sir, I know the young man you speak of. He seems like a fine young fellow and rides a yellow ninja. I offered to let him ride the wing but I think he finds it intimidating. I do go there a lot as it is only about 5 miles from my house.

When you go to Paw Paw I assume you take 522>29 and in to Paw Paw. Be careful on that first 7-8 miles of 29. Lots of accidents.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi Riverrat,

I'm on my second kuhmo and found my sweet spot at 32. Had 15K on the 1st one and changed it because the sides were worn from the last two darkside get togethers. :thumbup:

Was almost down to the wear bars but wanted to be on the side of safety.

Have added centramatics this time so will see if more smiles are made.:lol:

Good luck,

obwan

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I love the pressure on my Pirelli at 30 psi, and then I don't increase it until it goes under 28 psi. And I don't have a TPMS.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. Heading for Jackson Wy in the am. It will be two up and no trailer figure I'll put 3K on so will check it in between the ride. I have no other issues and am so far happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts