GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Quick question, I am preparing to order a Kuhmo Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55/16. I chose this because of the popularity of this tire on this board. Everyone seems happy with it. While poking around I came across a Pirelli Eufori @ runflat of the same size. To me the tread pattern looks a little nicer than the Kuhmo but that may be just looks. I called the tire store and asked the sales person their opinion and they said Pirelli hands down. Of course thats just one mans opinion. So my question is do people on this board have experiance with the pirelli, good or bad ?? I am leaning towards the pirelli but don't want to mount it and find out the bike won't handle well or as well as if I had installed the Kuhmo.

Thank You Tom

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have the kumho and getting the pirelli saturday as a backup. Either one should work well but the pirelli is a summer tire, i think!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Both really good tires but I think you can expect more miles from the Khumo. The Eufori is a high-performance tire, soft compound.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I can tell you that both the Winter Conti SSR And the all season Conti SSR with the tread wear rating of 400 wore out much faster than the Pirelli with a tread wear rating of 180..

I wouldn't put another Conti on my bike,They Twitch in the twistys like no other I've tried..

So don't put much stock in tread wear ratings..That Conti didn't give up many miles..

Pirelli also has a bead lock like no other CT Run Flat tire I had on my bike as well...What does that mean? You'd have to look at another RF to see the difference..

Everyone is entitled to choose what they want to run on there bike.I got no problem with that.
I just won't run anything but the Pirelli [email protected] on my bike..

Now as for the question of "Pirelli vs Kumho".
To me that is your personal choice as I haven't run a Kumho..I said in another thread if I was stuck on the road and couldn't find a Pirelli,I'd then go with the Kumho.Because of it's profile being close to the Pirelli..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Margie, Rocky, what kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the Pirelli.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I copied this off the TireRack.com website, some of the other Kumho tires do not have this........
The Ecsta SPT (KU31) is Kumho's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for sports cars, coupes and sedans. The Ecsta SPT was designed to offer grip, handling, comfort, wear and good looks in order to provide enthusiastic drivers the ability to "Drive Hard 'Go Big' Look Good." Ecsta SPT tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

I don't know if it is important to you but, I ride in a lot of very cold weather.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys

I know the wear rating is better on the kuhmo, but I don't realy care about a few miles here or there.
I have read quite alot about tires recently and yes this is a summer compound and it will harden up a little around freezing. I do quite a bit of rideing below 32, and I am making the assumption the typical MC tire is also a summer compound.
I'm not sure but I have a feeling if people were sliding off turns in the winter due to tire compound it would be plastered all over this board.
I went ahead and ordered the Pirelli today I think i'll be happy with it.
Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep!, I think for sure they would have shared that information. I'm here because I'm convinced that there is a better way than changing that MC tire every 6,000 miles. I'm having a problem finding anything in town that will work but I think I will try to find something in an All Season tire. I ride two up, overloaded, and pulling a trailer quite often in the summer and by myself in some pretty cold winters.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
The Kuhmo sticks like glue down to 10 degrees, past that I can't
say....

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have about 19k on my Pirelli and my 709 Stone when I put the" Red Chariot" away for the winter,and looks like I should get another 5k out of it,then I'll change it out before I head out for the BRP this summer,and parts East. :thumbup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks " MARGIE". I knew I could count on this board.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I got 13.5 thousand miles on my Pirelli, with lots of burnouts. It handles great. Oh, those that say it's a Summer tire, I've ridden it the last two Winters here in IN, just 15 miles south of MI line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts