GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Kumho is out (a hair left before wear bumpers) the Battlax still has 6/32 tread left and is as smooth as as my wf's rear end :) Tire pressures were religiously maintained at 34 for the Kumho and 41 up front. Both were installed same date. 2/3rds of milage is 2 up pulling a trailer, half slab half twisties. But if anyone knows in what shape our roads are in Québec, well enough said about that. Posting pictures for comments on how the tire is worned out. Please comment. I think a bit surprising that the excessive wear on the left side (road crest) is so much more obvious than on the right. Any explanations are welcome. Didn't take pictures of the Battlax , it's in PURRRRRfect shape.
My appreciation of the performance of the tires. Straight A's for my kind of riding. Can't thank enough everyone here for all the input and no bull info on what to expect. I went double darkside and glad I did!
Pirelli euphoria has now taken Kumho's spot down under and after 100 miles seems comfortable. It has a big shoe to fill. Tire change was a breeze, put the Wing to rest on its side, 20 minutes job done.

Should I ride the Pilelli at 34 PSI? Kumho was a tad more worn out in the middle of the tread. Hope this helps anyone looking for info. Glad I crashed and burned, can't get enough of it!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks for the info technit!:thumbup:

G

·
I have the same Kumho Solis - just over 37k and it's got a bunch left. I have a new one on my spare rim but I am certain 45k is will within reach. The BT45's seem to be good for the 22-26k range.
It is nice to take tires and miles for granted. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
For the last 10k miles I've run my Pirelli [email protected] RF at 32psi (1 or 2 up) and 34 when loaded for touring. I just took measurements yesterday and I have about 6/32 total tread left on the sides and shade under 5/32 in the center from the 10/32 when new. The center is wearing a bit quicker than the sides so I'm going to drop 2 psi (30psi for 2 or 2 up and 32 psi when all loaded up for touring).

For reference, fully geared up, my wife and I together are less than 290lbs. Fully packed for touring we have an additional 115lbs of gear. 70% of the wear on the tire was fully loaded up for touring.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have got over 21500 miles on my Pirelli and run it between 30 PSI and 32 PSI. Very even wear all the way across the bottom and I still have 4/32nds left and plenty on the sides. Im heavy 280lbs and my wife rides with me a lot, this tire seemed to wander a bit more than my Kumho, it seems to need a little more attention to run a line for me. I do like to lean the bike in curves and pour on the throttle coming out of the curve. It is a good tire, but I am thinking of trying the Michelin run flat now.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Love my Pirelli. I have worn out three of them now and only ever tried one other tire, the Continental RF. I like 30 psi at most in my tire, and I even like 28. All my tires have worn real even this way and though I live in flat country, I always go play in the twisties a few times too on each tire. It don't get no better than this!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is your Battleaxe front tire actually a "rear" tire, and is it a radial??

thanks!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the last 10k miles I've run my Pirelli [email protected] RF at 32psi (1 or 2 up) and 34 when loaded for touring. I just took measurements yesterday and I have about 6/32 total tread left on the sides and shade under 5/32 in the center from the 10/32 when new. The center is wearing a bit quicker than the sides so I'm going to drop 2 psi (30psi for 2 or 2 up and 32 psi when all loaded up for touring).

For reference, fully geared up, my wife and I together are less than 290lbs. Fully packed for touring we have an additional 115lbs of gear. 70% of the wear on the tire was fully loaded up for touring.
We have pretty much the same set-up as far as weights and loads are concerned.
Thanks Rob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have got over 21500 miles on my Pirelli and run it between 30 PSI and 32 PSI. Very even wear all the way across the bottom and I still have 4/32nds left and plenty on the sides. Im heavy 280lbs and my wife rides with me a lot, this tire seemed to wander a bit more than my Kumho, it seems to need a little more attention to run a line for me. I do like to lean the bike in curves and pour on the throttle coming out of the curve. It is a good tire, but I am thinking of trying the Michelin run flat now.
I don't play hard with the bike, well maybe once or twice just to keep sharp :) Wondering about mu milage and wear pattern after reading your post. Can anyone explain to me why the tire worn out like that on the left side? Is 17K average for my kind of riding? Is the poor road quality up here to blame?

·
Banned
558 Posts
I don't play hard with the bike, well maybe once or twice just to keep sharp :) Wondering about mu milage and wear pattern after reading your post. Can anyone explain to me why the tire worn out like that on the left side? Is 17K average for my kind of riding? Is the poor road quality up here to blame?
If i remember correctly, Canadian roads are "crowned" a little more than US roads. Could be the reason for the wear on the left side. :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts