GL1800Riders Forums banner

Kumho Code Numbers/Letters

808 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rail32 
#1 ·
I will be ordering a Kumho 195/55/16 Run Flat (first C/T) very soon.

I have noted that others that reference this tire in their sig sometimes refer to a code number/letter in addition to the size, such as KU31, 87V or the like. What do these codes mean? I definitely want a RF.

Thanks!

#2 ·
numbers

The number references the load index/speed rating. Mine is 87V or 1201lbs./149mph.
This is the tire that I have on mine. I paid about $20 more at Discount Tire. The listing below is online at www.tirerack.com

Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP (Ultra High Performance Summer)
Size: 195/55R16
RunFlat
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 87VLoad Index 87 = 1201lbs (545kg) per tire
Speed Rating "V" = 149mph (240kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 340
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
340 AA A
Price: $158.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock

#4 ·
In addition to what beaux43 stated above, KU31 is Kumho's number for the tire design. It includes all the different sizes for which the tire is available.
Yes.

I really should look this up first but, IIRC the KU31 is a run flat whereas there is a different designation for a Kumho that isn't RF.

#5 ·
This from Kumho:
ECSTA SPT
TREAD CODE: KU31

"The Ecsta SPT is the ideal tire for the sports car owner on a budget and sedan owners looking for a sportier feel or plus sized fitments. The directional tread design provides excellent water drainage with intermediate and center rib blocks that deliver steering response and ride comfort. The Silica tread compound delivers excellent wet and dry traction under normal or high performance driving. The Ecsta SPT is available in staggered fitments and also feature Kumho Tires XRP - Extended Run-flat technology.

XRP - eXtended Run Flat Performance"

My interpretation is the "KU" in KU31 indicates it is from Kumho's Ultra High Performance Line and the "31" is the specific tire.

I don't know what the SPT stands for.

#7 ·
I just got a reply from Kumho.

Summer Performance Touring = SPT
So it's not Super Phenomenal Tire ? Hu that's what I tell everybody it stand for :shrug::oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.