GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put on my new Ecsta just a day prior to my 1-up 7 day 3,000 mile trip from RI - across to Wisonsin across the Canadian border heading east in Canada till we hit New Hampshire, then south to RI.

The fist part of the trip, I was getting the feel of the tire. About two days in after I was getting used to it, I just started thinking it was "sluggish" the rest of the whole trip compared to my trusty Bridgestone.

A day after getting back, I had my wife on the back and just couldn't stand the ride anymore. It was just to soft and loose.

Come to find out, this run-flat did it's job. Sometime during my 7 day trip, I picked up a spike in the tire and was only running 15psi. I pulled the spike, stuck in the tire-rope plug and put 32 psi back in.

With 32psi, this thing kicks butt and the proper feeling on the road is back. I'm not going back to an MC tire. The dark side has me convinced.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside Jim!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
You're probably "scared to be excited"? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'll bet that, if he had not been on a RF, he woulda known it. :22yikes:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you. :thumbup:

Certainly regardless of the tire on the bike, tire pressue should be checked every day.

I too am enjoying the Kuhmo RF tire. So far it is my favorite of the 2 CTs I've run.

Put on my new Ecsta just a day prior to my 1-up 7 day 3,000 mile trip from RI - across to Wisonsin across the Canadian border heading east in Canada till we hit New Hampshire, then south to RI.

The fist part of the trip, I was getting the feel of the tire. About two days in after I was getting used to it, I just started thinking it was "sluggish" the rest of the whole trip compared to my trusty Bridgestone.

A day after getting back, I had my wife on the back and just couldn't stand the ride anymore. It was just to soft and loose.

Come to find out, this run-flat did it's job. Sometime during my 7 day trip, I picked up a spike in the tire and was only running 15psi. I pulled the spike, stuck in the tire-rope plug and put 32 psi back in.

With 32psi, this thing kicks butt and the proper feeling on the road is back. I'm not going back to an MC tire. The dark side has me convinced.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
268 Posts
JimRobertRI - I would highly suggest replacing the tire since you rode several days on it with little or no air. I had a similar issue last year where I was pretty much forced to ride about 200 miles on my Kumho with no air. I contacted Kumho of America and I was informed that the Kumho RF is only designed to be run for 50 miles at 50mph max. Kumho considers the tire as being flat when there is 15psi or less air in the tire.

Don't take any more chance - your new Kumho did its job and thankfully so. Retire it and get a new one. Better safe than sorry

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, my bust for being lazier than normal.

I guess I'll have to go shop again for a tire. The tire changer place charged me $30 to mount it last time. Have to find a diff place for mounting.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
You're probably "scared to be excited"? :rolleyes:
Most likely visa versa :thumbup: but you are excused because we have not met yet:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts