GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm back from a beautiful week of warm Phoenix weather, I was going to pull the trigger on ordering the Kumho. Ran across the following on the B/T Automotive Tire site while looking for the best price.

"The Ecsta SPT XRP (KU31) is Kumho's Ultra High Performance Summer self-supporting run-flat tire developed to provide temporary continuing mobility in the event of a puncture causing air loss for sports cars, coupes and sedans. The Ecsta SPT XRP was designed to offer grip, handling, comfort, wear and good looks in order to provide enthusiastic drivers the ability to "Drive Hard 'Go Big' Look Good." Ecsta SPT XRP tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I'm glad I saw this, but I'm definitely bummed out at the moment. Looks like I could run a Kumho from mid April through October, but that still leaves me in a pickle for the other half of the year. Guess I'll have to go back and look through the rest of the tire list again. I know there is at least one snow tire in the group.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I read (not sure) that the Pirelli's have a similiar warning. I rode in temps as low as 15 in the twisties with no problem.
Last winter, my brother-in-law rolled his brand new car in the winter. It had low profile, high performance tires that turned to rocks when it got cold. He lost traction in an average situation and is convinced it was due to the tires.

I'm looking at the CT as a way to improve winter traction, so I'm taking the warning seriously. It sounds like the Kumho is a great tire for the price, but I think I need to do some additional winter vs. summer tire research. All I need to do is find a good tire that will handle well from -15f up to 100 degrees, cost around $120 and last about 40k smiles.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Contenital makes a winter sport tire in run flat that a lot of riders use on here. It's designed for snow and cold weather. Look on Tirerack.com and there should be several winter tires avaliable. I don't think you are going to find a run flat for $120 though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Kumho at Treadepot is $128 plus $12.21 s&h, so I should have said around $140. That's only a bit more than what I paid for a bias tire for the Voyager, so not too bad.

G

·
Ecsta SPT XRP tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice
I'm wondering if this isn't just a lawsuit disclaimer. All tires will slip and slide in those conditions.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I really like the Kumho, but yes it is a tread formula for warm conditions, that is why it wears so well. I would not like it in really cold conditions either and it may well be dangerous. I live in South Carolina so 15 degrees is about as cold as it gets. No snow, no ice and no zero stuff.

You might check out the tire some of the guys are trying out. The Dunny 175'60'16 winter tread snow tire. It is also a run flat and has good reports so far. Looks to maybe be the best one yet.

Go look for something called the holy grail in the posts, that is where you will find some talk about it.

Kit

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Now that I'm back from a beautiful week of warm Phoenix weather, I was going to pull the trigger on ordering the Kumho. Ran across the following on the B/T Automotive Tire site while looking for the best price.

"The Ecsta SPT XRP (KU31) is Kumho's Ultra High Performance Summer self-supporting run-flat tire developed to provide temporary continuing mobility in the event of a puncture causing air loss for sports cars, coupes and sedans. The Ecsta SPT XRP was designed to offer grip, handling, comfort, wear and good looks in order to provide enthusiastic drivers the ability to "Drive Hard 'Go Big' Look Good." Ecsta SPT XRP tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I'm glad I saw this, but I'm definitely bummed out at the moment. Looks like I could run a Kumho from mid April through October, but that still leaves me in a pickle for the other half of the year. Guess I'll have to go back and look through the rest of the tire list again. I know there is at least one snow tire in the group.
Shiver,
You might want to check out the Continental ContiProContact SSR (run flat) that I am using. I've got a little over 17K on it now and think I can probably get another 4 or 5K out of it.

Here is some info from their website.
The ContiProContact is Continental's Grand Touring All-Season tire used as Original Equipment on European sport sedans. The ContiProContact was developed to blend looks and handling with low noise and good ride comfort, and is tuned to match the needs of sporty sedans by providing year-round traction, even in light snow.

On the outside, the ContiProContact features a symmetric, notched-rib tread design to blend low noise with foul weather traction. Continuous tread contact with the road enhances steering response and reduces noise while wide circumferential grooves increase wet traction and hydroplaning resistance. On the inside, twin steel belts are reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon cord to stabilize the tread area promoting handling and high-speed capability.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm wondering if this isn't just a lawsuit disclaimer. All tires will slip and slide in those conditions.
That is what I have always thought that the statement was intended for. I believe that the disclaimer was directed more to the fact that the tread pattern on these types of tires are not suitable for adverse conditions that are present in the colder climates. I don't believe that it is a reference to the rubber compound of the tire being compromised at lower temperatures. A tire manufacturer could not afford the liability that would accompany a tire that could pose a danger to the consumer just because it got cold outside.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I run summer tires on my cars. In fact, I run Kumho SPTs on my '96 Impala SS, and they are the best tire ever available in the stock 255/50-17 size. Only one tire I can think of that really competes with it(at a much higher price though) as an all-around(read; GREAT in rain and on dry) summer tire and that is the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which I run on my Focus ST. Summer tires do lose a lot of traction as the temps get near freezing. Actually, starting from the low 40s down to freezing, they go from being heaven-sent to being "rim-protectors" in that 10F span.

They are completely useless in snow and on ice. I want to emphasize, they are COMPLETELY USELESS in snow or on ice. To drive home the point; drive on snow or ice(at any kind of practical speed) with summer tires and expect to wreck. In fact, if you live where there are hilly roads, expect to wreck no matter how slow you drive. There is a reason they are called summer tires, and it's not just about lawyers.

Below freezing, on a dry road, they are fine, as long as you drive like you have a hard compound ultra-long-life passenger car tire on. Low 40's and below on a wet road calls for a very cautious and conservative driving style, much more so than with all-season.

I have no experience with them on bikes, but I certainly would think twice about it if getting into conditions where snow or ice may be encountered, or where below-freezing temps would be encountered for more than a fraction of the time.

Did I mention that summer tires are COMPLETELY USELESS in snow or on ice?

That said, they really are worth it if you are not going to drive in snow or on ice, if you like to drive in a sporting fashion. The switch to all-seasons, even the UHP versions, is quite noticeable from a lack of traction stand-point.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Seems to me that the Dunlop Wintersport 3D Run Flat 175-60 may be the way to go... :coffee1:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run summer tires on my cars. In fact, I run Kumho SPTs on my '96 Impala SS, and they are the best tire ever available in the stock 255/50-17 size. Only one tire I can think of that really competes with it(at a much higher price though) as an all-around(read; GREAT in rain and on dry) summer tire and that is the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which I run on my Focus ST. Summer tires do lose a lot of traction as the temps get near freezing. Actually, starting from the low 40s down to freezing, they go from being heaven-sent to being "rim-protectors" in that 10F span.

They are completely useless in snow and on ice. I want to emphasize, they are COMPLETELY USELESS in snow or on ice. To drive home the point; drive on snow or ice(at any kind of practical speed) with summer tires and expect to wreck. In fact, if you live where there are hilly roads, expect to wreck no matter how slow you drive. There is a reason they are called summer tires, and it's not just about lawyers.

Below freezing, on a dry road, they are fine, as long as you drive like you have a hard compound ultra-long-life passenger car tire on. Low 40's and below on a wet road calls for a very cautious and conservative driving style, much more so than with all-season.

I have no experience with them on bikes, but I certainly would think twice about it if getting into conditions where snow or ice may be encountered, or where below-freezing temps would be encountered for more than a fraction of the time.

Did I mention that summer tires are COMPLETELY USELESS in snow or on ice?

That said, they really are worth it if you are not going to drive in snow or on ice, if you like to drive in a sporting fashion. The switch to all-seasons, even the UHP versions, is quite noticeable from a lack of traction stand-point.
:lol::lol: :lol::lol:

I wanted to lip off and find a way to suggest that you not hold back so much, possibly giving us a chance to understand your point, but I couldn't find a way to say it.

Well, back to the research. I really want the bigger bite of the 195, so I will probably pass on the Dunlop 3D unless nothing in the 195's show promise.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
:lol::lol: :lol::lol: Well, back to the research. I really want the bigger bite of the 195, so I will probably pass on the Dunlop 3D unless nothing in the 195's show promise.
I thought you could get the 3D in a 195 or 175 size... Hmmm. going to have to check that out...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I have no idea if there's a 'disclaimer' on the Eufori, or if it's designated a 'summer tire', but what I can say is that having used it daily in the snow over the last couple of weeks, its not handled too badly at all.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Odd that you mentioned the Kumho and lack of traction on Snow & Ice.

I have a Kumho Ice Bear for use with the Hack and I tried it one winter. Given that it was sold as a Winter Ice Tire I found it to be almost useless on both Snow & Ice with the Hack. Had to switch to my main Blizzak for good traction.
The Kumho Ice Bear was a good all around Summer tire though and is just about worn out now so it's time to find a replacement in the 195-50 size for reduced gearing when using the Hack + Sidecar.

I have to wonder if I just got a bad Kumho or if they are all poor Winter tires. :shrug:

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts

I wanted to lip off and find a way to suggest that you not hold back so much, possibly giving us a chance to understand your point, but I couldn't find a way to say it.

Well, back to the research. I really want the bigger bite of the 195, so I will probably pass on the Dunlop 3D unless nothing in the 195's show promise.
Shiver,
Check this out!
http://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

I find that the usual, "Tell us how you really feel." is as good as any, LOL.

I truly love the Kumho SPT on my Impala, and in fact have driven it about 60,000 miles on Kumho 712s(the tire the SPT replaced) and SPTs, but I sometimes wish for an all-season tire that could match it. The SPT did address the 712's main fault of being unforgiving at the limit, and actually picked up some extra traction in the process. It also hangs on to its traction over a wider temperature range, but near or below freezing, it's still pretty bad.

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts