GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we went out and did about 800 miles up into the Ozarks this weekend with the Kumho. Took in all kinds of roads,wet,gravel,tar,concrete and some not so good (broken crumbling,buckling in downtown Eureka Springs). The broken, crumbling roads I could feel a little wandering around and this was due to the SLOW speeds due to stop and go traffic. The rest of the roads were not any problems and no slippage or anything unusual. The SO commented how much better the bike rode with the CT. Tire never slipped in the rain and I was HOTFOOTING up there on the way. Think we have a winner here with this one but I am not telling you guys nothing you don't already know.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I'm glad you had an enjoyable ride! Enjoy the Kuhmo and be safe out there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Well we went out and did about 800 miles up into the Ozarks this weekend with the Kumho. Took in all kinds of roads,wet,gravel,tar,concrete and some not so good (broken crumbling,buckling in downtown Eureka Springs). The broken, crumbling roads I could feel a little wandering around and this was due to the SLOW speeds due to stop and go traffic. The rest of the roads were not any problems and no slippage or anything unusual. The SO commented how much better the bike rode with the CT. Tire never slipped in the rain and I was HOTFOOTING up there on the way. Think we have a winner here with this one but I am not telling you guys nothing you don't already know.

Well, what would the trolls (like ducbob) say. Hmmm...
The tire manufacturers, honda, magazine editors and maybe some other experts do not recommend or condone your SO being comfortable, or commenting on being comfortable, on a CT equipped wing. It is flat out (pun intended) dangerous to be comfortable in the presence of such danger.;)

Glad the Kumho worked out for ya.:thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
yea but see he was ( wondering ) when going slow rite on verge of crashing n burning can picture duchead rubbing hands together n smiling yelling told you soo lol enjoy ds like the rest of us

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have been looking at moving to the darkside and noticed that the tire is rated for 1202 lbs at 50psi. Has anyone tried running the tire at 50 PSI and what is the difference in feel? Is there any drawback to running max tire pressure on a MC? I would imagine it would feel a little harsher for the ride.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have been looking at moving to the darkside and noticed that the tire is rated for 1202 lbs at 50psi. Has anyone tried running the tire at 50 PSI and what is the difference in feel? Is there any drawback to running max tire pressure on a MC? I would imagine it would feel a little harsher for the ride.
kamp, there is no benefit to running Max pressure. It will only wear out the center trad of the tire prematurely. A few of the non run-flats may have to be aired up to max. to avoid sidewall flex, but none of the run-flats need that kind of pressure. Just to give you a feel...many run the run-flats in the 30-34 psi range and many run the non run-flats in the 40-44 range (those numbers all vary)

The Rubber Manufacturer's Association have been trying to get the Max. pressure value removed from tires because it provides no value to the end-user and only adds confusion. Take a look at your 4-wheeled vehicle tires...have you ever run the Max. pressure on those? I never have even came close to those Max pressures in my 4-wheeled vehicles.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is run at 32 PSI and I am SOLD...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

No auto makers say that they need to be run there either. 32-36 on autos that run them. They are bricks at that too. A lot more comfy on a MC at those pressures for some reason. Max pressure is just that, not necessarily the recomended running pressure.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
No auto makers say that they need to be run there either. 32-36 on autos that run them. They are bricks at that too. A lot more comfy on a MC at those pressures for some reason. Max pressure is just that, not necessarily the recomended running pressure.
Well.......the manufacturer's recommended PSI on my '91 Toyota PU is 35psi.....the max cold PSI value on the tires....yup, 35psi. And it is running auto tires not truck tires. Today's pickups completely dwarf my PU in size. Sheesh have they gotten big. Perhaps psi recommendaton matching the MAX is more of a rarity now a days with modern vehicles. :shrug: My PU is getting up there in age. Okay, enough of me being picky. :lol:

It is clear, however, on the application of a RF on the Wing that MAX PSI is completely unnecessary. I don't see why you would need or want to run a RF that high. Certainly not for weight or heat management as even when run at 28-30psi, the tire gains 40% less heat than a maxed out MT even when loaded to the gills...and then some.:oops:

I think most everyone is running 28-36psi on RF of the 195/55/16 size.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm getting pretty even wear and a very good ride at 34 psi on my Kumho. :thumbup: My sweet spot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts