GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted a 195/55R16 Kumho Solus KH16 on my GL1800. It replaces a Toyo 195/50R16 that I ran very comfortablly to the Arctic Circle and back last year. But, I'm concerned about the right and left side of the tire not being a true mirror image (it's a slightly asymmetrical tire).

I'm hesitant to bolt it on.

Is anybody running this tire and, if so, is it working for you?

Do you notice any difference in turning to the right vs turning to the left?

What tire pressure are you running?

I ran 26psi in the Toyo. That kept most of the rubber on the ground when cornering and I think that's important. I've see video of guy running 44psi on Darkside tires but, when cornering, he was up on the tire shoulder with most of the rubber off the road and a new tire circumference to deal with.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this??

I admit, I went with the Kumho because it was cheaper and I expect it to run longer. I got 17,000 miles from the Toyo and 750 of that was dirt. I am now worried that being a cheap SOB will put me in the grave.:joke:

Can anyone confirm that or reassure me that I have not been penny wise and pound foolish!!??

Thank you!:bow:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have run tires with an asymmetric tread pattern, albeit not the tire you mention, and did not notice any differences in left hand turns vs. right hand turns.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Don't think you will have any problems with that tire nothing to worry about. For me Ill stick with the Falken or Toyo I am running now :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:agree:wit all the above!:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I appreciate the reassurance. I'll bolt it on as soon as I've reset the ECM to address a surging problem. I'd hate to take a 2010 with only 500 miles on it back for warranty with a Darkside tire on it. It would just give them an excuse to dismiss me!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha, with all that research and your invaluable input, I hoised the bike up and darned if the Kumho Solus KH16 isn't too wide to fit the 2010 Wing. It appears that some lectrical equipment has been mounted in the left hand side of wheel well and there is no room for a tire wider than 7.25 inches. The Kumho is 7.9 inches inflated to 44 psi and 7.5 inches deflated. It will not mount to the hub. I'll have to scour the specs and find a tire that is narrower or continue to enjoy the perils and expense of an m/c tire!! Who knew?:shrug:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm! I know JP's wing is a 2010 and he has run a Toyo, and a Falken on his without any problems.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Ha, with all that research and your invaluable input, I hoised the bike up and darned if the Kumho Solus KH16 isn't too wide to fit the 2010 Wing. It appears that some lectrical equipment has been mounted in the left hand side of wheel well and there is no room for a tire wider than 7.25 inches. The Kumho is 7.9 inches inflated to 44 psi and 7.5 inches deflated. It will not mount to the hub. I'll have to scour the specs and find a tire that is narrower or continue to enjoy the perils and expense of an m/c tire!! Who knew?:shrug:
I am running a 195/55/16 on my 2010 and had to move nothing never even deflated tire to install. All 4 tires I have run have never even come close to hitting or rubbing anything. It is a little bit of a job to wiggle it up in there but after you do it a few times it becomes very easy. So I can't see why that tire won't work for you. I use the layover method just because it' s so much simpler. I wouldn't give up that tire should fit just fine :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, jpinpa. Maybe my 2010 has late modifications. Inside the wheel well there is a stainless steel looking box with 4 bright orange highly weather sealed wires coming out of one side. This box appears to be associated with something that extends the left wheel well wall away from the saddle bag by about 2 inches. None of this was present in the well of my '02. This "new" off-set goes all the way to the top of the wheel well. The box and the beginning of the off-set are just opposite the wheel hub and form a pinch point. Nothing as wide as 7.9 inches is going to get by this point. 7.5 inches wide almost makes it.

Does your wheel well have the same box and offset as mine??? I assumed this was associated with TPMS. Sorry, I sent you a PM looking for essentially this same information.

The specs for the Toyo Proxes 4 195/50R16, which I used on my '02, show a overall width of 7.8 inches. Toyo no longer lists the 195/55R16. The Falken ZE912 shows a section width of 7.9 inches, which is the same as the Kumho KH16!! But, that tire mounted to a 2010 wheel will not go on.

I must be missing some technique for snaking the tire by the offset.

Got any hints?? Anybody??

Thanks.:eek:4:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Layover method?? Maybe that is the answer. What is it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can see I'm stressing over this!! But, I see a difference in the specs that might be the difference. The Falken, Toyo, and Sunny are all fabricated for a 5.5" or 6.0" rim. The GL1800 has a 5.0" rim. The Kumho KH16 is fabricated for a 5.0" rim. When I mount my Toyo on a 5.0" rim, I squeeze it in a bit. It gets narrower. Maybe. Ya think? While the Kumho, made for a 5" rim, maintains a true 7.9" section width. Which is, in fact, too big to fit.

Am I reaching here? How much narrower could a half inch or a full inch on the rim spec make the mounted section width? Doesn't seem like it would be much. But, I'm a Darksider so, everybody knows, I don't know squat.

What does the group at large think of this desperate attempt to assign blame?

Does anybody with a 2010 Wing have the motivation to lay a couple of 2x6s edgewise up against each side of your Darkside tire and give me a reading of the actual max width of your mounted tire?? It might, at least, prove it's me and not the tire size that is the problem. Of course, if your bike doesn't have the little box and the left side offset, that could still be the problem.

Thank you in advance for your trouble.:bow:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217161

Soap the inside of the fender well and the left side of the tire and force it in! My '08 audio/comfort/nav. has the same equipment as yours and a 195/55-16 Kumho ROF,Pirelli ROF and Toyo NRF have all fit! The ROF's take a lot more effort to place but DO fit and DON'T rub!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm running an '09 Wing. It is identical in every way (save the color of the plastic) as your 2010. The box and wires you speak of that sits aft of the battery are the starter relays and the reverse resistor.

I shoved a Pirelli [email protected] 195/55/R16 RF up in the wheel well. It's total width is listed as 7.9 inches. It takes quite a bit of effort to support the tire and push it up past the narrow section of the wheel well. Remember that the CT is about 5 lbs heavier than the MT so you have that working against you also.

I used a floor jack to hoof the wheel in and used water and dish soap to lube up the wheel well side. I think this is why so many lay the bike over. Not having to lift the wheel straight up makes it quite a bit easier (I suspect). I'm going to use the tip over method next time I change the rear.

Either way, the tire will fit, you just need to get the angle right and use considerable effort to push it up in the well. Make sure the bike is well supported. I used jack stands under the front tire to make sure I didn't tip the bike off the pitbull jack when installing mine. :shock:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success!! Thank you all. The soap is a great idea, especially since it's a no-brainer when mounting a tire to a rim. I should have transferred the knowledge to the new application. Growing old ain't for sissies!!

The approach I took was to go to a friend with a lift table, remove the back panel, deflate the tire, and bring it in from the rear over the top of the hub. That done, it dropped down about 3-4" and was a matter of aligning the lug holes. Even experimenting with just forcing it past the pinch point a couple of times, the whole process took less than an hour.

Once mounted, there was plenty of clearance. But, I wouldn't want to squeeze a 205/55 in there. That little extra 1/2" in width would make it a very close fit. Don't know how those guys do it. Maybe they don't own '09s or '010s.

It is sooooo nice to be back on the Darkside. Those m/c tires are just to high strung for me. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts