GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This picture was posted in another thread, I was wondering if the tire lost air from a puncher, or what caused it to fall a part like this.
Anyone have any good guesses about it?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
John seen a couple of Kuhmo's in my area that have wore like that. My guess not enough air pressure and running on the side of the tires instead of completely across the whole thread pattern. I never did ask the guy what air pressure he was running in it I was just helping him mount a different tire and he told me his friend had the same problem. He switched to a Falken and his friend went with a Pirelli. I haven't seen either one of them in a month or so to see how they were making out.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
another case of blanant misuse of tires

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
looks like an underpressure issue to me.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Although hard to tell from the picture, that tire looks plumb worn out. The tread looks about all gone. I'd say that tire was run way past its "expiration" date.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run 32 PSI in mine, hopefully that's not too low.
Going on a trip next month and don't want any tire problems.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I had a friend that had a problem with his Kumho on our trip out west. I never plan to go back to a MT because I feel so much safer on a RF CT, however, one of the problems with a RF CT is that it can be very low on air and the rider no notice it, especially at speed. I think that is what happened to my buddies. The sidewalls support the bike and rider so well, the rider ruins the tire by running it too low of air (like 0-20lbs) too long usually over a long period of time. The edges wear down with all the weight of the bike there. My buddies tire was worn smooth around each side of the tire, there was plenty of tread left all across the bottom. The solution would be a TPMS, which I plan on purchasing very soon. I check my tires every morning but running 300 - 1,000 miles a day and anything can happen. Also people tend to look at the center of the tire to see how worn it is, curves will thin out the edges first.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I can tell you that a ct can hold tire pressure longer with nitrogen in it. doesn't seem to work as well on a mt. I put 36 psi on my rf in may, 3 1/2 months ago and road it to D.C. and back with about 7 thousand miles . It has not lost even 1 pound yet.

·
Registered
658 Posts
without seeing the other side of the tire it would be hard to say its under inflation. but looking at it point blank one possibility is a misalignment of the tire or rim somehow much like a bad toe in problem on a 4 tire vehicle. A badly under inflated tire should show more tire scuff marks higher on the sidewall as the bike turned. It also looks like something rubbed and cut into the tire possibly on the tire and cut the tire to the cord. there is a definite groove around the edge to the belts.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Although hard to tell from the picture, that tire looks plumb worn out. The tread looks about all gone. I'd say that tire was run way past its "expiration" date.
:agree:

·
Registered
270 Posts

:agree: I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
:agree:

Could have run for another 22,000 miles....no problem.:lol:

Tire pressure? We don't need no stinkin tire pressure. Checking your air pressure in your tires is over rated. :joke:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts