GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read a month or so ago about someone who modified the stock chrome fork cover to work with the Kury fork brace. Does anyone remember who that was that posted that? I have been thinking for some time now about adding the Kury fork brace to my bike, but I just can't get past the fact that it really doesn't look too good on the bike. The Kury brace might work well but the Kury brace just looks so unfinished with those unsightly gaps between the fender and the forks. The brace looks like it needs to be lower to the fender and the chrome covers need to be longer and go farther down the fork leg to fill up that gapping space between the fork leg and the fender.

·
Registered
253 Posts
fork brace

--- Roadie, you would think kury would have made it look more like oem. They missed something here. NO guards. Bugs, dust ,seals. Not a good mix. But HELL!!!!!! If they did all that. Freaking thing might cost $500.00. It almost $250.00 as is. For a piece of aluminum. :shock: :shock: :roll:

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Re: fork brace

skibis said:
--- Roadie, you would think kury would have made it look more like oem. They missed something here. NO guards. Bugs, dust ,seals. Not a good mix. But HELL!!!!!! If they did all that. Freaking thing might cost $500.00. It almost $250.00 as is. For a piece of aluminum. :shock: :shock: :roll:
I think it's quite unfair to call it "a piece of aluminum".

The raw material to make it is over $20.

The chrome would cost you $40 at "dealer cost".

Then you need about $150,000 worth of CNC machinery.

A $60,000 a year programmer.

A $30,000 a year operator.

A building.... and....

Well then you might see why that chunk of aluminum costs $200.

:lol:

For that matter, your entire Goldwing is pretty much a piece of aluminum, and it costs $18,000. :lol:

The fork brace seems like a good deal! :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Max, you have the machine shop, why don't you fabricate a fork protector that will work with the Kuryakyn fork brace?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Yea,and can you have it ready by this weekend? :lol:

·
Banned
96 Posts
Hey Max, need one of those ready by the first week in April. I will swing by the shop to pick it up on my way to the gap.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Here is the way I cut the Stock cover to fit over the top of the Kury brace.

I taped the cover in place,and taped off the sides that I'd need to remove.
I then cut them off with my dremmel tool.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip254.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip255.jpg
I also removed the lip in the center,so I'd have a straight edge all the way across the bottom.

I then used chrome door edge trim,(that you can find at any auto parts store) to make a nice finish to the bottom area I had just cut off the bottom.

I then Cut a piece of 1 1/2X 2"x1/16 flat stock,and found a sheet metal screw 1 1/2 long and drilled the hole in the center of the stock.I then taped the flat stock on both sides with duct tape (I'll powder coat it later) and then placed the sheet metal screw with a flat washer through the hole where the black plastic push in rivet was originally,and tightened it in place..

Here it is installed,and protecting my forks from bugs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip256.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip257.jpg

·
Vendor
21,884 Posts
Rocky said:
Here is the way I cut the Stock cover to fit over the top of the Kury brace.
Looks nice, I like it. Just be careful that they don't extend any higher than stock or else they could get hit by the lower triple clamps when you hit a big bump.

Now you guys have two different examples of how to do this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
fork brace

--- Max! That adds up to almost a quarter of a millon. Just to make one fork brace. Surprized they hav'nt gone out of business yet. 8)

·
Vendor
21,884 Posts
gpick said:
Both look good.

Fred, how did you fasten yours? Dual-Locks?
Mine are fastened and mounted the same way that they are from the factory. There is a bolt on the lower portion of each side that holds it on. Look close on the photos and you will see it. By cutting out the center section it allows it to be mounted the same way as they are stock. The only difference is that now each "ear" is independent and they are not fastened together anymore. The bolt is more than strong enough to hold each one in place.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Fred H. said:
I then Cut a piece of 1 1/2X 2"x1/16 flat stock,and found a sheet metal screw 1 1/2 long and drilled the hole in the center of the stock.I then taped the flat stock on both sides with duct tape (I'll powder coat it later) and then placed the sheet metal screw with a flat washer through the hole where the black plastic push in rivet was originally
and ...
Fred H. said:
The only difference is that now each "ear" is independent and they are not fastened together anymore. The bolt is more than strong enough to hold each one in place.
I thought I was following along but if each ear is independent
then what is the flat stock supporting or connected to?

thanks,
Dennis

·
Vendor
21,884 Posts
wingwing said:
I thought I was following along but if each ear is independent
then what is the flat stock supporting or connected to?
thanks,
Dennis
The ears were originally connected together and it was all one piece. That was BEFORE I introduced it to Mr. Dremel, and hacked each ear off so they were independent. I had to do this in order to mount them the way I did, as the flat center section won't fit with the fork brace mounted.

The flat piece you see in the photo between the ears, is the Kuryakyn fork brace.

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Re: fork brace

skibis said:
--- Max! That adds up to almost a quarter of a millon. Just to make one fork brace. Surprized they hav'nt gone out of business yet. 8)
Only the first one costs that much, if you make ten they are only $25,000 a piece.... :wink:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fred
Your mod looks 100% better than how the Kury fork brace looks by itself. I'm not really worried as much about bugs hitting the fork tubes as I am about the unfinished look with the unsightly gaps around the fork legs with the Kury brace. I have been thinking about making up something very similar using very light sheet metal. Rolling some sheet metal, shaping the bottom as needed with a grinder, then tack on a mounting bracket and send it out to be chromed. It would be easy enough, just takes time :) I think I might try your mod first with the plastic parts although I don't think I could live with any bubbled up chrome from the heating and reshaping process. Anyways' great job and thanks for sharing you ideas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts