GL1800Riders Forums banner

Kury hiway pegs vs. Mick-O-Pegs for tall riders

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  fluf 
#1 ·
I am a new 1800 rider and need some advice. I am 6'5" and my legs feel somewhat cramped because of lack of legroom.

I have read great things about both the Kury hiway pegs and the Mick-O-Pegs.

What would some of you advise for someone with long legs?

Many thanks.

#2 ·
pegs

I'm about 6 ft 3. I have the kury pegs mounted on the vertical bar.
There has been some riders that lost their lives with pegs on the bottom bars, dragging is a consideration. I have not dragged anything since my total upgrade to progressive suspension front and rear. Will the mickopegs drag? Some say they will and some say they wont. Me, im not sure. I am happy with my kury's.
JD

#3 ·
Hey JD and PHDblue,

If you have not looked at this post yet, it shows what I have done to get comfortable using Mick O Pegs.

http://64.191.30.178/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

But the best thing is that I just finished the first ride using my new Mick O Pegs that are mounted on the vertical bar. Jim sent me some parts to play with and I put together an upper peg that lets me stretch my legs out with no scraping and when my feet come off, it swings back in toward the bike [spring loaded] so it does not stick out. I have a few minor bugs to work out but not a problem. The only problem will be Jim having enough time to make a professional version as mine is makeshift. I will be uploading pictures to this site:

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/show ... 31&cat=500

It's 3:08 EST now and I'm just starting, so come back if they are not up yet.

Dan

Note that in the first picture, you can hardly see the pegs. I am going to like this. At some time, I will post how to put them together as I know it will probably take a long time before Jim can build them.

#4 ·
I'm a bit over 6'-8" tall and would suggest a Diamond Hi Miler seat (it'll get you up an inch and back two inches. For highway riding Mick O Pegs (for your height, the K/A model) would be what I'd suggest (and what I did, myself).

You can also check out Rattlebars kickshifter and peg relocation kit to get your feet a bit lower and a bit forward from the stock location for those times when using the Mick O Pegs would be impractical or inappropriate.

A set of Add-On handlebar risers coupled with a set of MBL handlebar risers may well help your riding comfort, too.

Something else to consider, if you haven't already, would be a different windshield to get the wind up and over your helmet. For that look at Tulsa +4", Cee Bailey's (up to a +7" by special order) or Windbender, which isn't available quite as tall but compensates for that by having a reverse flip at the top edge to push the wind over you.

For my two cents' worth, those things are the minimum to get a Wing ready for a taller rider. As with anything, this information is only warranted up to the price you paid to read it. Your mileage may vary. :D

Good luck with whatever you decide. Make sure you post what you do so other tall riders can benefit from your experience. :)

#5 ·
Mick-O-Pegs will touch pavement

JD asked: Will the mickopegs drag?

YES, They will. I have done it twice. Once I dragged the mounting "block" of Model A on our '94 GL1500. It touched after the stock foot peg had folded up - don't know how much it was up, but probably not as high as the stock foot peg would go.

Then I dragged the "block" of Model D (mounted on the lower engine guard). Again, it hit the pavement after the stock peg had started folding up. I took a picture of my first scrape on the Model D block. I was afraid I had dragged a more expensive part to the cowling, but glad it was just the "cover" of my Mick-O-Peg. I wasn't going very fast and never detected any "digging into the blacktop." Almost 2" of the surface made contact and acted as a skid plate. Not bad insurance against more expensive damage IMO. But it obviously reduces how much you CAN lean.

I'm not sure how to post the pic so I'll send it to JD - since he asked, then a copy to DDKING since he knows his way around the computer. Maybe he'll post it. I can also send to whomever requests it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.