GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa brought me a Kury luggage rack for my 1800. I seem to remember a fellow telling me that there are some kind of mark inside the 1800's touring box that show me where to drill the 1/4 inch mounting holes. Is this right? Any hints from someone who has done it before? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I didn't see any marks but it wasn't too hard to install.

I added 1.5 inch fender washers under the monting washer that comes in the kit. Put a rubber washer under the fender washer and use them on both the top and the underside. Regardless of the instructions, you or someone will end up using the luggage rack as a handle to lift and lower the trunk lid! The large washer on the bottome will keep from pulling the luggage rack through the trunk lid.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
There is no marks for the Kury, they are for the Hondaline rack.
Use masking tape on the trunk lid to position and mark the legs.. If you ever want to add a trunk spoiler, make certain you mount the rack further forward!!!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Remember, measure 3-4 times and drill once!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Be sure to remove your inner trunk lid liner and fill the space around the drilled holes with something like rubber so when you tighten the hardware the trunk doesn't crack.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Better make sure you want all that extra weight on your trunk lid...and DON'T use it as a handle to open and close the trunk.
That rack is the only accessory I regret installing on my bike...JMHO. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I installed my own, it was pretty easy. Follow the directions to get the assembly sequence down. I put down masking tape on the trunk lid. Positioned the rack with the feet washers in place and checked it about 20 times, taped the entire thing down and checked it another 2 or three times, marked it and drilled it. Like someone else said, if you don't have the spoiler, mount the rack within about 1/4" of the front of the trunk. I have the spoiler and that's about where it ended up. I also found myself checking several angles on the rack, most importantly to keep it centered on the trunk is to line it up with the key hole (trunk and ignition). Just take your time.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
tomfranken said:
I didn't see any marks but it wasn't too hard to install.

I added 1.5 inch fender washers under the monting washer that comes in the kit. Put a rubber washer under the fender washer and use them on both the top and the underside. Regardless of the instructions, you or someone will end up using the luggage rack as a handle to lift and lower the trunk lid! The large washer on the bottome will keep from pulling the luggage rack through the trunk lid.
:yes1: :yes1: :yes1: Like Tom says....
I used the chrome star washers, that are available from Hal,
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/search.asp
on the top of the trunk, under the rack feet.
I used the fender washers like Tom says, inside the trunk.
Did this on my 02 and the wife used that rack as a handle many times :roll:,
and it never showed any inclination to flex, crack or come loose.
DC

·
Registered
31 Posts
And another thing, watch out for the different length screws that hold the trunk liner in place. A couple of them are longer than the others and will dimple the trunk lid. Not that I would of done something like that. :oops:

The honda spoiler will almost cover the dimple mark. Again, not that I would know this. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do you lift so hard on the rack that you snatch the screws through the trunk lid??? Must be trying to pick the tire off the ground. I have used my rack to open and close the trunk for years and never hurt anything. I even have the baby bumpers installed and have to mildly force it closed and still have no problems. And yes a couple trips have been overloaded on the rack for several hundred miles (the reason for the baby bumpers) and have no cracks, breaks, or holes where I pulled the screws through the trunk. I dont get all the hubub about the trunk rack.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
How do you lift so hard on the rack that you snatch the screws through the trunk lid???
Some people have reported cracking around the mounts. 'Never seen it myself - just a precation. 'Also, don't know if you could ever pull the screws through the base but again, a precation...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Put the same rack on my 05 right after I purchased it. Just put light weight things in the kury bag that sits on top. Rain Gear/gloves/extra fleece, etc..

Be sure and drill the holes at an angle that matches the post on the rack. Yeah, easier said than done. This i one step you will have to eyeball. Like someone else said, measure 3-4 times and drill once. I dont have the star washers and no trouble so far. I do keep a hand on the rack when I close the lid and I DO NOT let the wife close the lid. She is a slammer. Likes to slam doors or just what ever just as hard as she can. I refuse to work on her cars/windows since she cant seem to learn.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Kury Luggage Rack Installation

I have to second WingAirSpeeds comments. I have had the Kury flat rack on my 2002 for 4 years now and use it as the handle to lift and close the trunk all the time, plus have carried 20# or less on it for many miles over the past 4 seasons and seen no issues with it at all. IMHO the bike looks unfinished with out the rack and spoiler. It is an attractive and useful accessory for any GL1800. Go for it, but heed the warnings about fender washers and large neoprene washers on the bottom side of the lid plus the star washers to distribute the load.

Farmer jack

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kury rack installation

Well, my son-in-law helped me install the rack yesterday. At the end of the day, the unit is installed and there are no "oop's" showing, but only by accident. We read the instructions, but they are so confusing that we actually mis-read them and drilled the front holes first. We had to live with them, and then went on to the rest of the procedure. How much easier it would have been for Kury to include a diagram to go along with the printed version. As for the extra washers, I will install them in the future when I take it back apart to re-install the wire clamp for the socket that we found when it was all buttoned back up :oops: . Thanks again!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Remember, measure 3-4 times and drill once!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dont have the flat Kury, I have the roud tubular one, cant remember the brand its been on there so long, :oops: but I like it better and think it looks better than the flat one

·
Registered
194 Posts
JIM-FCCM said:
I installed my own, it was pretty easy. Follow the directions to get the assembly sequence down. I put down masking tape on the trunk lid. Positioned the rack with the feet washers in place and checked it about 20 times, taped the entire thing down and checked it another 2 or three times, marked it and drilled it. Like someone else said, if you don't have the spoiler, mount the rack within about 1/4" of the front of the trunk. I have the spoiler and that's about where it ended up. I also found myself checking several angles on the rack, most importantly to keep it centered on the trunk is to line it up with the key hole (trunk and ignition). Just take your time.

I did the same thing and it turned out great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts