GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Everybody:

I'm looking forward to getting my first wing (07 Silver/ABS) after the first of the year. My wife will be riding for the first time, and I was thinking of getting the Kury transformer boards for her. Who amongst you folks out there is using these things? Is it true that they fail to stay up in the folded or closed position when no passenger is onboard? Are they worth the cost? How many positions are available with the transformer boards? Any opinions or information would help us out!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Meesh loves hers. The outside post is up or down, so I guess that is 2 positions.

Mine stay put, either folded up or down.

Your results may vary but the SO will Love them, to get that crink out of her hips or just to do a stretch.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got a set with about 60000 miles. Yes, they stay up when no passenger is on. Yes, the footrests raise up while traveling - just let her hook them with her toe and lift. They are only two position, up or down, but they can be put on with the Rivco adjustable mounts if needed.

A word of caution - when installing them, put some thread-lock on the pivot bolts - I have seen two sets where the bolts backed out far enough to let the pegs drop and drag on the ground. Thread-lock or silicone on the threads do the trick.

Only complaint I have with them is the chrome plating gets under part of the chrome, and I have had one of the rubber pads leave. But they add a lot of comfort for the passenger, and a happy back seat is a requirement.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Oh ! They are a life saver for my bride. They just give you that extra foot/leg stretch when you need it. A simple change is all that is needed to continue rather than stop for a rest. They really are a bonus, and they do stay up when the passenger is not onboard......... :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
No problem with the Kury boards in any position. They do work with the Rivco risers (thats what mine are mounted on). Glue the rubber treads in before use or they will fall out.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Mine stay put whatever position, Wife Loves them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Metric4me said:
I'm looking forward to getting my first wing (07 Silver/ABS) after the first of the year. My wife will be riding for the first time, and I was thinking of getting the Kury transformer boards for her. Who amongst you folks out there is using these things? Is it true that they fail to stay up in the folded or closed position when no passenger is onboard? Are they worth the cost? How many positions are available with the transformer boards? Any opinions or information would help us out!!!!!!!!!
We've had them for two seasons. Sandy really likes the fact that she has a choice of where to put her feet. There is no price you can put on a happy passenger, so they were worth the cost to me.

They stay up fine when folded. The positions, without additional hardware are pegs up and pegs down.

·
Registered
181 Posts
24,000 miles with about 1/3 of those as two up riding. They stay put just fine.

Make sure you use all of the necessary parts from the stock boards and they will operate perfectly.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
143 Posts
Transformers

Back on the old bike we had transformers but wish we had the original where the arm was on the inside next to the bike. Your foot has to be pulled back to move them around instead of of just slid out to reposition. Get a catalog and look around. Tom

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Why not wait and see if you can handle (the wife riding for the first time) Or if she can handle riding with you in front before you invest in the floor pegs.

I suggest that when you secure the wing you take and ERC -take your wife along to enjoy the course-(no additional chanrge) and she can learn what is involved and how she can help the rider while riding the course with you. You will also benifit from learning how the wing will handle with TWO persons on it rather than one.

Now that winter is here you should be able to sign-up for the course early.

Enjoy the Hoildays.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Metric4me said:
Is it true that they fail to stay up in the folded or closed position when no passenger is onboard?
I had read that elsewhere and I was also concerned about that possibility.

You have to reuse the original spring and detente plate from OEM.
The transformers are MUCH heavier than the OEM so I placed a very small shim under the spring when when I assembled mine (the 2nd time) to increase the spring pressure.

I used a very small rivet (bucking type) for the shim.
The shaft of the rivet fit perfectly inside the spring, then I inserted the spring into the hole. The head of the rivet (only a few thousandths tall) becomes the shim.

It was MUCH harder to reassemble everything with the shim under the spring but now the new boards stay up and have a nice positive click to them when you do "snap" them up.

Not sure if it will "wear" faster but it's working fine so far.

YMMV ...

Dennis

·
Registered
298 Posts
Transformer Boards

SO loves them!! Have never had a problem in 4 yrs with them not staying up, but did have one of the parts that go up and down come loose and fall off on a trip. Kury's response was that happens!! Cost $35 bucks for a new one and lock tight is on it now!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Someone had this same concern on the other board (Gear Review). I just purchased a set of Kury Transformers at Biketoberfest. I was dissappointed that the heavy boards wouldn't stay in the up position. I removed the boards, dissassembled them, placed a copper BB (as in pellet gun) in the bottom of each spring hole to extend the spring, re-inserted the ball and detent plate. Then I inserted a hard, thin nylon washer in the opposite end of the floorboard to tighten up the play (I used a feeler gage to determine the gap). You have to apply aft pressure to the floorboard to overcome the ball and spring. I gave the pivot points a splash of LPS spray lubricant (WD-40 is another brand) and although they are just slightly stiff to move, they definitely stay up now. My wife loves the alternate position these floorboards give her legs on longer trips. Definitely worth the price if you don't mind making a minor adjustment to the ball detent system if they won't stay up for you. Others have used a small tack rivet inserted into the spring end to increase the length of the spring and thus increase tension on the ball.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had the boards for two ridding seasons now. I have not had any problems. The SO loves them. Gives her to rest her legs so we do not have to stop for as many breaks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Have had mine for almost 3 years and the little lady loves 'em. She is short legged (well I guess that doesn't sound very flattering) no, she is petite and uses them up all the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes! Get them.

Two things I bought for my wing right after purchase was the Kury Highway pegs for me and the transformer boards for the wife. Best aftermarket purchase I have made so far. :lol:

Just do it!

Airbeat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts