GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like all '10s, my Goldwing has OEM heated grips. Thanks to recommendations received here I have added Grip Puppies which are a big improvement.

Kuryakn Grips are even thicker and I'd think they are a little more comfortable. I'd like to use the Kuryakn Grips for added comfort on longer rides. I recently discovered that Kuryakn makes a grip that is claimed to work with OEM heated grips.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6876&str=4

I'd also like to add the Throttle Boss.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=171&str=4

Has anyone tried the Kuryakn grips with Honda OEM heated grips? Do they allow heat to be transmitted through the grips to the riding gloves or hands?

I don't want to spend $100 for accessories that render my heated grips ineffective.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for posting but I am no help in your quest.
Great idea but like you I love my grip puppies.
Now if they would offer them in the flame design.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Got them on the 2010. They do transfer heat but as to be expected they take a while to heat up (maybe twice as long). And they do not get as hot as the OEM. But I have ridden in below freezing weather and have felt the heat through the gloves and was very comfortable. Grips do get set to 5 a lot of the time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Kuryakyn grips

Yes, they are more comfortable and they do heat up, but a little slower to heat than the OEM. I have them and will keep them. I also have the palm rest and it's a plus for me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kury Grips for Factory Heated Grips

I used them for one winter but they blocked all heat, so I removed them. I'd rather have the heat than the beauty!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Mine heat up fast on my 09 and hold the heat for a long time :thumbup:. If you leave the handle bar weights on, they will act like a heat sink and steal the heat away from the grips :-(. If you want maximum heat for your hands, use the end caps that come with the Kurys :bow:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I used them for one winter but they blocked all heat, so I removed them. I'd rather have the heat than the beauty!

Same here, I sold mine after having them on for about 3 months! Switched to grip puppies which I am very happy with!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine heat up fast on my 09 and hold the heat for a long time :thumbup:. If you leave the handle bar weights on, they will act like a heat sink and steal the heat away from the grips :-(. If you want maximum heat for your hands, use the end caps that come with the Kurys :bow:

Did that with my 2007, didn't make a difference, but if they work for you gr8! We may be operating in different temperature ranges also!

·
Registered
824 Posts
As said previously, they take a long time to heat up 10+ minutes. So on the commute to work, it won't show up. They do indeed keep warm for quite a bit when shut off. The heat output I would say is 1/2 or just a bit more than without the Kury covers on. For me the comfort won out over the extra heat. Just got back from a west coast trip where the temps didn't go over 60 deg F for the high and the lows were in the high forties and I did not have any issues except like I said they take a long time to heat up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the kuryakyn grips with the throttle boss over my factory heated grips, they are two piece and a little aggravating to put on. As stated they heat up slow and don't get quite as hot but I wouldn't give them up as the comfort level far exceeds the factory grips. I also mounted the throttle boss with the ear extending past the grip instead of turned in. It gives the full grip for hand room, looks fine, and works fine.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, gentlemen.

I carefully read and accept the reports that my heated grips will heat slower and not as effectively but I think I'll trade that negative for the fatter, more comfortable grips for the towns and twisties where I can't use cruise control.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
HBarlow if you live where you really need the heat (mid to northern states).... then don't bother. They just don't penetrate properly( I found the heat only gets from the upper side of the grip down about half way ...then that's it. If you live where it slightly cool, then go ahead. I have the grip puppies and love them too, heat all the way from top to bottom. JMHO

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
I added the Kury clamshell grips and have been dissapointed in the loss of heat. Run them on 5 most of the time. Am thinking about buying the new heat foils from EC, connect them to the bikes heated grips power supply and add the regular Kury grips.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Got them on the 2010. They do transfer heat but as to be expected they take a while to heat up (maybe twice as long). And they do not get as hot as the OEM. But I have ridden in below freezing weather and have felt the heat through the gloves and was very comfortable. Grips do get set to 5 a lot of the time.
:agree: Found the same thing on my bike

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Bottom line, they do heat up but not as fast. THey also keep your hands from hurting at the end of the day.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The word "cold" when used to describe the weather is a relative term. Temps considered "cold" for me are probably very mild for many of you.

I can generally ride year round but my typical cold weather riding will probably involve temps in the lower 30* range. I probably won't ride much when temps are below freezing.

I think accepting less effective grip heaters in exchange for avoiding hand cramping will be a reasonable exhange.

Thank you to all who replied. I think I'll order a set of Kuyakn grips and the palm throttle aids.
lll

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It also makes a difference on your handle bar adjustment, i.e.wider & further out in the wind or more protected when narrow.
I am using show chrome grips but I wired them "in parallel" by rewiring the stock set up and using the stock controller.
No reason that you couldn't do the same with the stock grips.
BUT do not use FULL heat they will get way too hot.
Do this mod at your own risk.
Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts