GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that have one of the Rear Air Foil installed. How does it work, and does the SO seem to like it. Any goods, bads, or indifferences. Curious minds, and the SO want to know how they work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you George! I'm looking forward to reading the responses to this...

When we returned from a ride with my hunny in the co-pilot seat, his answer to my question... "how was the ride"... was "windy"... and adding the full set of Baker Wings then became his priority. They definitely helped, but I still experience a great deal of head buffeting.

Terry thinks the taller windshield should be next... but based on what I read in the advertisements, I'm considering this backdraft thingy...

I've also read that a wider windshield will be more effective than a taller one?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Tulsa Tall and the best things that I put on for rear seat buffeting was the mirror Bakers, and the trike Wings. I have the full set also.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I put a Tulsa on last week, the 4" higher model, and it makes a great difference to the driver...I ride solo, so no info on the back seat person. It is abut 2" wider I believe. I had the 2" wind wings and went with the larger type...again, big difference...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have the rear airfoil and a full set of Baker Air Hand and Trike the differance is night and day with the rear airfoil the wife says their is no air buffting and I notice I don't have as much air blowing down my back when I ride alone the only problem I have had is the Weather strip they send with it kinda of squeezed out in high Temps when I was down in your part of the world last summer other than that no problems

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I kinda like the wind when I ride. :biker: I also like bugs hitting my helmet and dodging low flying birds too. Actually had one hit me in the chest in Kentucky the poor little bugger. :eek:4: And I would certainly miss the sting of a tiny rock as it was flung up at my face at 70 mph. Not too mention Yellow Jackets falling into your lap. Protect yourself if you want but you're missin' a lot of fun

·
Registered
809 Posts
The wing is whispering in a evil voice "Love me,Love me, give that bling to me". Not to mention it will be better ride for the SO.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
I added the Custom F4 +4". It is a good tall and wider shield. Love the protection and height it gives to the driver. Only ride solo, so no more needed. Did put the trike wings on and it helps with the heat on the legs. Did notice that the taller and wider shield caused more resistance when riding, but it does not have the same slope as the Tulsa, so maybe that is the problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Diesel, did you go with a tinted or a clear windshield? I'm not even sure tinted is an option? The F4 +4 is my next option and maybe the air foil if these answers from everyone keeps coming in favorably.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Dimensions for air foil

Does any one have the dimensions for the air foil.
Would like to try one before I buy one.

Need something to do when its to cold to ride.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
air foil

I got the air foil in earlier this week and got it mounted, looks kinda funny. I got the Queen on her throne and away we went for an 8 hour ride. This thing works extremely well, the bobble head doll has been replaced with the happiest woman in the world. Before the air foil she had complained of near whiplash conditions above 55mph, but even at 75-80 she claims there is no head jerking at all. I also installed a pair of Baker hand wings, they work great too, I would recommend the air foil for anyone with a passenger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dyi airfoil

I found i had an oem burgman 650 windshield laying around and looked up the installation inst. Made a cardboard template that fit behind the seat and used my 4 in grinder with a cutting wheel and belt sander to make mine. painted the backside gloss black and looks just like the real thing. Wife said she did not notice a whole lot ..but i watched her long pigtail in the shadow along the road SIDE and it hardly moved @ 70 mph...Stopped on the side of the road after 5 miles then slide it out and into the trunk. Off we went. now her piGtail was all over the place and the cabin area was not as smooth as before.
was it worth the hour to make for free yes. Would I pay big bucks for the difference? NO...But...different heights between rider and passanger can make a huge diff in the way turbulance is felt. With my 5-4 daughter she feels nothing...smooth sailing as she is totally in my envelope up and out...Yet my wife at 5-9 amd me @ 5-10 she feels much more wind and depending on situation and speed can be uncomfortable...I just added tulsa mirror wings. will see how that works.

SECTION SIZE 15" WIDE AND 15" TALL APPROX. 10 IN. ABOVE SEAT

Hope this helps...YOUR OPINION MY VARY...THUNDERWING

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well after all of what y'all said about the airfoil the missus gave standing orders to get one for our trike. I have to quit letting her read over my shoulder. Thank goodnesss for Hals sale.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
It is really hard for me to reach into my deep pockets with short arms to spend $108 for this contraption.

I need to get to Palm Bay and meet up with THUNDERWING ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts