GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the process of deciding what accessories I want to put on my new 07 Wing. One thing I'm sure I want is a backrest, too many years of heavy lifting has taken its toll. I'm considering the Kuryakyn backrest, I like the its looks and I certainly like the idea of not cutting on the seat. Has anyone tried the Kuryakyn rest and how well does it work.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Only bad thing I have heard about the Kury back rest is that the bars rub (and sometimes irritate) the passenger's thighs. Cutting into the seat for the Utopia is a minor thing.

My recommendation is go with the Utopia. Your ownly regret is not doing it sooner.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
153 Posts
As one who gets their thighs cut into all the time by the bar, don't do it! Seriously, if you have a passenger, they will be very uncomfortable with the Kury. I keep prodding my hubby to sell ours and get the Utopia--as it is now, if I'm along (90% of the time) he can't use the backrest. So what good is that?
Claudia
www.itchyhitch.com

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I believe the Kuryakyn works as well as any of them. If you like the look - go for it.

But don't let the worry of cutting the seat stop you from getting the Utopia. I believe it's the best. And if you have a co-rider I think it's the only option. :wink:

·
Registered
917 Posts
The KURY stinks IMHO. I had one, sold it on EBAY and bought a Utopia. The Utopia was easy to install. My biggest complaint about the Kury was it's springiness. It smacked me in the back every time I hit a bump. I felt like I was getting beat up. My wife hated it too. The Utopia looks like it belongs and is higher. The KURY is shaped like a fist. Small cross section beating on you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agonized over the seat-cutting issue also. I have an '06 with heated seats and almost decided to go with the kury.

But I decided to get the Utopia, now I'm glad I did. Took me about an hour to install it myself moving slowly and carefully, and the heated seats still work! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts