GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the Kuryakyn Iso grips but my bike has the heated grips on it. I heard that they have these clamshell grips that go over the heated grips.
I'm asking all of you that have these Kuryakyn grips to tell me what you think of them. Does the heat transfer good or so so? Do they make the grip alot larger in diameter than the regular Iso grip? Would you buy them again?
:bow: Thanks

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've had them for about 1 1/2 yrs now and find them to work ok with the heated grips, but I don't live in the frozen north. They heat up fine to me. In the summer I cover them with Grip puppies to make them a little larger.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It does take a little longer for the heat to get threw them but I like them

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not knowing which year your bike is, know that the Kury clamshell grips are designed specifically for later model GL1800s. The later bikes have heated grips that are longer than the Hondaline heated grips for the earlier GL1800s. I have the clamshells on my '01 & don't like them much because the rubber inserts aren't staying in place very well. My grips are about 1" shorter than the one's these were designed for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have them on my 2009 as well. The heat does come thru but takes some time. I think the heat is a little less than than just having the stock grips. They do make the grips alot fatter, i have big hands so it doesn't bother me that much. The halves are a hard to get together over grips. I also ordered some grip puppies to try as well. I'am not sure if i would purchase again thou.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
In really cold temps they knock the heat down by 2/3's even on 5. If I was going to ride any real distance below 35* I would take them off. Any other time, I love the size and feel.

Bradford

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn Iso grips installed and like them. The heat comes thru but takes time. Sure they look nice but the added width to the grips was what I was after and why I installed them. The stock grips were a bit skinny for my hands and these grips work great for me. Grip puppies will work better for heat transfer but still give you a thicker grip. Just a matter of how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the clamshell grips on my '06 and like them OK. The heat comes through ok, but it takes awhile. The inserts don't stay in very well,and I have to tuck them in often. They are comfortable to me and look cool. The left grip is not very tight and twists a little. I don't know if I would buy them again.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I tried these over my heated grips but returned them as they really don't allow much heat through. They also make the grips too huge! I ride in Canada where heated grips really are a necessity! I installed some foam-type grips over top and love them! Save your money and go with the foam or better yet, Gerbing G3 gloves! Your hands will thank-you! :cool:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Up here in the midwest come spring and fall with the temp drop I found the Kurys dont heat as well as the stock grips themselves. I took mine off and put Grab on foam grips which transfer the heat better. In cool temps if you take your hand off of the grip for a bit ,it takes that much longer for the grip to come back up to heat. I like the size and the look but for transferring the heat they basically suck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kury grips

I also had trouble with the rubber inserts moving out of position but was able to work some rubber cement (black gasket adhesive) under the offending rubber pad. This has held so far.

Bill

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
they heated pretty well

the two issues i had were

they were much bigger thna the normal iso grips

and the rubber things kept comming out

no i would not get them again

·
Registered
491 Posts
Clam Grips

It does take a little longer to get heat transfer but for the looks and the comfort that they provide it is well worth it. You don't get the forarm pressure that some get with the small grips. I find that I don't use the cruise control as much.

Sonney

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hace them on an 08. I like the increased size. I added the Throttle Boss. I would get them again.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I like the Kuryakyn Iso grips but my bike has the heated grips on it. I heard that they have these clamshell grips that go over the heated grips.
I'm asking all of you that have these Kuryakyn grips to tell me what you think of them. Does the heat transfer good or so so? Do they make the grip alot larger in diameter than the regular Iso grip? Would you buy them again?
:bow: Thanks
I have the Honda line heated grips too. I like the heat but the diameter is too small. My plan is to cut the cable at the grips and terminate each cable with a waterproof connector on each handle bar. My plan is to get cool looking chrome grips and a nice set of heated gloves. I'll plug the gloves into the new connectors that I installed on the handle bars and will be able to control the heat from the Heated grips controller on the right side of the fairing. Brilliant! :doorag::excited:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have the Honda line heated grips too. I like the heat but the diameter is too small. My plan is to cut the cable at the grips and terminate each cable with a waterproof connector on each handle bar. My plan is to get cool looking chrome grips and a nice set of heated gloves. I'll plug the gloves into the new connectors that I installed on the handle bars and will be able to control the heat from the Heated grips controller on the right side of the fairing. Brilliant! :doorag::excited:
So your hands are tethered to the handlebars? Not sure that sounds like such a good idea.
Also, you better check the resistance of the gloves compared to the grips........could be a possible issue there.

I installed the clam-shell grips on my new '09...........with the weather I have been unable to try them on the road but I like the increased size. The OEM grips are way to small...........like you have a clenched fist just to hold them.
I realize the heat will be somewhat less but I think I'll like them..........I have Gerbings gloves for when it's really cold.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
So your hands are tethered to the handlebars? Not sure that sounds like such a good idea.
LOL, Wow that's really funny! I guess that's way different from being tethered at my chest via my heated vest. Oh, by the way the gloves are designed to operated in a 12 VDC system and they draw 2.2 amps meaning the Resistance is 5.45 Ohms.

Later

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The Clam shell over stock grips aren't much larger than the stock grips are..
In fact if you put those foam covers on over your stock grips they will be larger that the clamshell covers will be..

I took off the heated grips when I put the ISO grips on because we don't need heated grips in So-Cal..
But I did buy the Clamshell ISO covers just in case I ever wanted to put them on??

As they say Pictures are worth a thousand words..

Here are some measurements to help you..

Regular ISO Grips.

Here is the Measurement for the Clamshell grip with the stock heated grips in it..

Here is A picture of the Stock heated grip in Half of the Clam shell grip cover..
Note:
how thin the clam shell rubber is..
The rubber much thinner than my ISO Regular grips...
It's plain to see that the ISO Clamshell covers don't add to much girth to the stock heated grips..

Here is a Side by side of the Regular ISO Grips And the Clamshell grip over the stock grips..

Keeping in mine that the Regular ISO grip doesn't have anything under it..

Remember-Foam over the stock heated grips would be just as or thicker than the ISO grips..

For those who may feel different??
I say show us your pictures and measurements to show otherwise!! :shrug:

I haven't brought these covers out since I bought them 18 months ago,And after seeing What I just did,I'm putting my stock heated grips back on with the Clamshell covers..I can can see just by the pictures how the heat can travel through the thin rubber,more so than the much thinker regular ISO hollowed out rubbers..

Like I said-Pictures are worth their weight in gold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts