GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love em, I bought em now I can't get the old ones off, any ideas? I took the three bolts off and tried using a screwdriver and a hammer to bang at the seam but they dont budge. The bike has never been in rain so it cant be rust. :x

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine were a pain in the butt to get off. I finally had to use a rubber strap wrench to wiggle them back and forth a lot before they came loose. They use some kind of glue on them.

:yw1:

·
Registered
990 Posts
You might some "Liquid Wrench" or somethig like it that helps remove rusted on nuts or bolts. Put it on and leave it for about 1/2 hour, then try removing the bolts. Other than that, twisting with a lot of force may fracture the bolt and then you will really have a problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Someone said on this board a while back that the 01's had glue applied to the exhaust system. Mine's a very late model 01 and teh tips came off pretty easily once I taped them at the seam between the tip and the muffler. Mine were already damaged so I didn't have to worry about hitting them too hard. Another option would to be to heat them up with a heat gun which might loosen them a little.

·
Registered
837 Posts
On my 01, the left one almost fell off in my hand after removing the screws. The right one on the other hand, was a bi#*% to get off. I used the hammer and screwdriver on the seam and had to beat the living daylights out of the tip to get it to budge. When it did start moving, the amount was so slight you could hardly tell. I tore the back end of the tip up pretty good, but got that sucker off. That glue/sealent is a bear after it's been on there for a year.

I never figured out why it was on the right side and not the left as well. :?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exhaust Tip Removal

I have an 01 and when I tried to remove my tips I had two problems. Three of the bolts broke off to begin with, then the glue/sealer that they used on them made it almost impossible to remove them. What I ended up doing and it worked pretty well was to take a large bolt, grind the hex head flat and then put the square edge of the hex head against the lip of the extension and actually drive them off, alternating from one side to the other of the exhaust. With the head being flat it imports most of the force you use into moving the extension instead of into reforming the lip like you do with a screwdriver. Anyway, after I finally got the tips off and the broken off screws drilled out and re-tapped again you better believe I used some anti-sieze compound on it when I re-assembled the whole mess. Good luck on yours. Len...

·
Registered
9 Posts
After I put the Kuryakyn muffler extensions on, the extensions melted the sides of my Kuryakyn mud flap. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I put the bracket on correct. Just not enough room for the mudflap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After I put the Kuryakyn muffler extensions on, the extensions melted the sides of my Kuryakyn mud flap. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I put the bracket on correct. Just not enough room for the mudflap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jesus H. Christmas, was that a job......... I felt like a blacksmith after I was done from so much pounding. I used a screwdriver and hammer. First I used an oil filter wrap wrench and twisted so hard the exhaust pipe twisted a bit. The only way I knew it was when I installed the new exhaust tip, one was ****-eyed by 1/4 inch or so. Why would they put so much glue substance on those pipes????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the echo. I have no idea what caused that, but I did talk to Kuryakyn and they said they are aware of the misfitting parts of the their mudflap when you install the 3 hole-muffler extensions. They are sending me a new BRACKET which had to be redesigned for a fit with the extensions. It allows the mudflap to be placed further toward the front of the bike about an inch. Also they are sending me a new flap and also new muffler extensions because they started having chrome peeling off. They are now providing an extension for the OEM pipe that vents the heat down further through the hole on the K. extension so that the chrome should not peel again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Kuryakyn Exhaust tips

When I installed my tips the bike was over a year old, but I did not have any trouble with the bolts. After removing the bolts
I had an old aircraft hinge pin puller similar to an automotive brake drum puller. I attached a 1/4" grade 5 bolt about three inches long to the puller with the head of the bolt sticking out. I stuck the head of this bolt inside the tip and caught it behind a flange inside the tip. The puller has a heavy weight which is pounded back and forth on a rod which removes the tip. It only took about three or four knocks each to remove them and they are not damaged at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts