GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were thinking of installing a pair of the boomarang Chrome Covers from Kuryakyn, the 3911 wirh the rubber protectors. However, read one review where someone stated that they interefere with his removing the side covers to check for Oil and Coolant.

I find it hard to believe they would be manufactured in sucg a way to do this but thought I would ask and see if anyone has them on their bike and how they do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They do not interfere with anything on my bike.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
BobC43 said:
We were thinking of installing a pair of the boomarang Chrome Covers from Kuryakyn, the 3911 wirh the rubber protectors. However, read one review where someone stated that they interefere with his removing the side covers to check for Oil and Coolant.

I find it hard to believe they would be manufactured in sucg a way to do this but thought I would ask and see if anyone has them on their bike and how they do.
I believe that interference was related towards the Kuryakyn Heel & Toe shifter, when installed and not the Kuryakyn Chrome Covers. When checking the coolant. 8)

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
If you install them wrong they can interfere with removing the sidecovers. Also be careful when installing the engine sidecovers after the chrome frame covers have been installed. You will scratch the chrome frame covers if you aren't careful. I put a strip of masking tape on the frame covers when I get ready to reinstall the sidecovers to protect them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the comment was a customer Review of the product on HDL. That was why I asked, it just did not seem to be correct.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They do scratch very easily.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
whew! you guys had me worried, TBB* got me a set of Kury Boomerang covers for x-mas. I can't wait for the temps to get back up to 60° so I can install them 8)

*Throttle Boss Barb

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have them installed on my 05 Wing....they do not interfere with anything including checking the oil.

I have found any "plastic" chrome will scratch.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Kury told me to install in colder climates by heating the frame with a hair drier - worked for me. Not that NorCal is a "colder climate", but it was below their recommended temp.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Don't forget to remove that little fram weld cover on top frame portion.

It is held on with a pin down through the top and double sticky.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hopefully, I can save a couple guys the aggravation of the crappy wavy Kuryakyn frame covers, and buy the Big Bike ones instead. They do Not scratch as easy, and hold up great. Plus, they are a much Straighter looking piece. I've had Several sets of both, and can tell the difference from forty feet.

Another thing I do, is I don't even remove the double sided tape on the upper part of the covers. Just slide them under the shelter, and the three pivot cover screws hold them in just fine. This way you can take them off anytime you want, to clean underneath them or whatever in less than two minutes.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
BobC43 said:
No the comment was a customer Review of the product on HDL. That was why I asked, it just did not seem to be correct.
sorry I'm late to this thread ... just got back from 3 days on the bike.
:)

I posted that information about not being able to remove my side covers since I put the frame covers on.

I can no longer pull the back of my stock cover far enough OUT so that it will move BACK. The frame cover "overlays" the frame and means the stock cover has to pulled out further.

Maybe I'm not pulling hard enough on the stock cover or maybe the frame cover is did not "seat" close enough to the frame.

If someone can tell me what I did wrong with the install I'd be happy to post an update / correction to my "review".

Dennis

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I can't wait for the temps to get back up to 60° so I can install them
Jeff, I know a heating guy who can install a heater in your garage. :lol:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
shuckaduck said:
I can't wait for the temps to get back up to 60° so I can install them
Jeff, I know a heating guy who can install a heater in your garage. :lol:
BWHAHAHAHA, do you know anyone that will pay the bill for me to :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanx buddy :wink:

Happy new year

1 - 15 of 15 Posts