GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the post, but someone gave details on good way to install grips with the gel super glue that comes with them. The more I hear, the less comfortable I feel about installing these. The post was about a cardboard shim to keep glue off the throttle grip. The instructions with the grips don't seem clear, to me anyway, about exactly where and how much glue to apply. Where the best place? On the bar? In the grip? Smear it around even, or just in spots. Maybe I don't need to worry that much. Glob it on and shove them on. But, if it will screw up, it will happen to me. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Thanks Harry

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Grip problems

A friend of mine and long time Harley rider just bought a new Black Cherry Wing and had it chromed up before taking delivery. He showed up at our Saturday ride last month with 50 miles on the bike, and a chromed throttle grip that spun round and round. Needless to say, he wasn't pleased with his now over 20K bike and what was worse, we all rode off from him, not knowing that he had inadvertantly pushed in his reverse button trying to figure out the throttle thing. He showed up at our destination 2 hours later, missing the good ride through the back country.

The next time I saw him for a Saturday ride, he had something locking up the throttle, probably glue between the twist sleeve and the bar.

What a mess and his hands are cold because he did not get the unadorned Hondaline heated grips.

I guess I just don't understand looks versus function.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When you use the supplied glue apply at the bar end and go 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up. 2 or 3 lines will hold the grip. If you follow the directions and think more glue is better you stand the chance of getting glue in your throttle. Oh by the way, follow the directions about dry fitting the grips. Mark a line on the grips and throttle where they feel comfortable. When you put the grips on with the glue line up the lines and don't stop. The glue sets up fast.
Randy F
Concord, NC
'02 Silver

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy some "grip glue" before you try to install the grips. You have time to set the grips in the position you want and you won't have to worry about them ever coming loose.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Kuryakyn

Kuryakyn? What the heck does that stand for.
I know it is MC parts & accessories, but I remember
a far side cartoon. An OLD lone ranger is looking
through an Indian dictionary. Under the word
"Kimosabe", it reads foolish white man. :shock:

Funny how Honda almost sounds American to me,
but Kuryakyn ? Maybe it means Awesome Goldwing
Dudes w/Money :mrgreen:

Would you be more apt to purchase an item named
a "Smith" sitting right next to an item named "Kuryakyn"
if the were both priced the same, looked the same,
claimed the same?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
A very goo question.

Herb, it is nice for someone to make us stop and think. I had hear that hagendass had a less than great meaning.

"Tonto, look at all those indians out there. They are getting closer and they look mad. What are we going to do"?

"What do you mean ""We"" Paleface"?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I mounted my grips just by wrapping electrical tape around the handlebar until the grips fit snugly. Didn't need any glue and they have been firmly in place for over a year.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Extra hold hair spray is all that I use to put on hand grips...... Slides on easy sets up fast and holds great..... I think that I read this trick in a motorcycle mag years ago........ never had trouble.

Tony - Chicagoland :lol:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't know the full story of the name, but It is part of a mans name. Maybe Kurt. But his wife and him broke up and he started this new bussiness and his wife kept the old one. You know how it goes, I know the guy that knows the guy. :lol: Joy

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Kuryakian

I think the owner at one time owned Drag Specialties.

·
Registered
38 Posts
K/Grips

Harry, Randy Ferguson has given the best way on how to put these on. A word of caution. DO NOT GET ANY OF THE GLUE ON YOUR HANDS WHILE YOU ARE POSITIONING THE GRIPS ON THE BAR. The most common mistake people have made with these grips is that they have put too much of the glue on the throttle sleeve and when the grip is slid on, it forced the clue forward and.... within seconds, your throttle is starting to get hard. You'll be happy with them. They are very comfortable! I got rid of the stock grips on my 01 within a week, then went to the black foam grips, and then the K's. Good Luck!

Chris
GWWRA #166412

·
Registered
175 Posts
Using the Kury glue can be a little tricky. This is how I do it and haven't had any problems. The first thing is making sure you clean all of the old glue off. I use lacquer thinner first then alcohol. After it is nice and clean and dry, slide your grips on for fit and turn them where they feel best for you. Remember that you will not be riding where the throttle grip is setting with the engine off. It a good idea to take a short or long ride and see how far the grip is turned at cruise speed for you. I like to set them where one of the larger rubber pad sets is centered on my palm of hands. I put a piece of masking tape on the grip and one on the switch housing and put a index mark. The reason for this is using the Kury glue you don't have much time to play with them when you start. There should be two tubes of glue in the kit, use one tube for each grip. You don't need all the glue in the tube for each grip, it just makes it a lot cleaner job and helps keep the glue off you hands. Apply the glue by squirting it inside the grip down the rubber part that runs all the way down, try to start the glue about 1/4" inch down from where the rubber starts. You need to have a long narrow piece of wood or screwdriver will work to spread the glue, you want a little more at the top than the bottom, at this point you can use your stick to spread some on the other surfaces of the rubber pads. Work as quickly as you can, now just slide the grip on up to your index marks in one smooth motion. Doing it this way any excess glue goes to the end of the grip not up to the switch housings, remember don’t push the throttle grip up all the way up against the switch housing because it will rub on it, twist the grip to make sure it is free. Wait about 30 minutes and your ready to ride. This my seem long but once you have done it, it only takes about 30 minutes from the time you start removing the old grips till your finished.

Panther

1 - 12 of 12 Posts