GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I remove Kuryakyn Fat Chrome grips off my newly purchased 1800 without destroying them? They seem :popcorn:to be stuck very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,000 Posts
Are they the clamshell type on heated grips or just glued on replacements for non-heated grips :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grips

They are non-heated and merely replaced OEM non-heated grips. They also have the pieces on the ends to rest your hand/palm on for throttle control. They are glued on very well.

Thanks for responding.

C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Remove end cap & shoot them with compressed air. If they don't come loose, get a long small bladed screwdriver & work it around them until all the glue is loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
You might try squirting paint thinner or naptha inside the grip to help break the glue loose. Works very well on golf club grips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellows for your helpful responses.

When I remove the end-caps and hand-rests, there is only a 5/8 inch hole in the end of the chrome (clam-shell?) grip. Compressed air would only go inside the handlebar unless I can find some type of adapter to cover the whole 5/8 inch hole. I'll be working with your tips and get it done someway.

Thanks again. Good forum. Lots of good help!



TEN MINUTES LATER:

They are off and intact. Thanks for your suggestions.

Cliff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Grip Removal

First of all they are a real bear to get off and I hope you don't want to reuse them. I sprayed some WD40 a little at a time with the little tube provided on the can at the switch end then used a coat hanger wire to open them up a little and then sprayed some more WD40 until it finally came free. However there was so much glue on mine that the rubber in the grips was ruined. Kuryakyn doesn't sell the rubber for the non clam shell grips.

Good luck,
Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, they were glued securely at the upper end and not much glue on the other part. I did pry the little rubber pads aside with a small screwdriver and squirted some lacquer thinner through the holes. Got them off and they are still usable.

I will auction them off for our charity fund at our next Chapter meeting. They look new, except for the glue that still adheres to the upper end.

Thanks again to all you fellows. ;)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top