GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had problems with the screws on Kuryakyn's clamshell grips.

I tried to put a set on today and I couldn't get a single screw to go in any of the holes.

The instructions said they were 4-40 screws, so I get a 4-40 tap and run it in all the holes. They seemed to be fine.

The screws still wouldn't start in any of the holes. I measured the 4-40 tap and it was .108" in diameter. The screws mic. at .120" . I even tried to run a 4-40 chaser on the screws but I can't get that started on any of them.

I checked the screws with a thread pitch gauge and they are 40 threads per inch, but according to my Machinist's Handbook the screws are at least .012" too large.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem and I know a lot of people have these grips.

Tomorrow I'll take them to work where there is a better selection of tools and try a 4-40 nut on them. And I'll try a Greenfield tap instead of the Harbor Freight ones I have in my garage.

I'll also take tips on installation.........Seems really hard to squeeze then together enough to latch...............

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Humm, I had no problem with mine going on. I did have to hold the two half together really tight. Maybe an idiot employee put the wrong screws in your pack or put screws that are too short to catch the threads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed & didn't have any problems with screws starting. Those halves are a bugger to get together. And tomorrow i'am going to take them off & try some Grip Puppies.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I installed mine the big thing was to make sure both halves are directly in allignment. One thing I didn't pick up on at first was to make sure one side of the clam shell is intstalled on the rubber sleave before you install it on the bike. Not only does it go on easier but is will already be in allignment and you only have to work with the other side. The initial set I bought had two back halves and no front, which ment nothing to thread into. When I contacted Kury they told me to go thru the vendor. I bought them at WingDing and just have gotten around to installing. Needless to say I had no Idea who the vendor was. Long story short try the vendor first if you are looking for a replacement set. If you do go to Kury you will not get the answer you want, ask for a supervisor. I maintained my cool but was firm in what I expected them to do. In the end I got what I wanted. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
No problem with mine...........little tough getting the two chrome pieces to snap together before putting in the screws. Massaging the rubber protrusions helped with this issue.

I like how they feel and look............I fired up the heated grips in 20 degree weather. Although not blazing hot they were quite warm to me.

I normally use my Gerbings gloves up to about 50 degrees anyway..........above that they will add the little extra warmth needed.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on the heated grips.

I had several of the machinist's at work check the bolts that Kuryakyn sent.

They are 5-40 bolts not 4-40.

So tomorrow the go back to the dealer for replacement.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have installed several sets of the clamshells. To install quickly and with a minimum of aggravation I simply spray the rubber parts with the soap and water mix I have in the garage for mounting a tire with, makes the rubber slick and it goes together quite well.

The only problem I ever had with the little allen head screws is I thought they were metric, after all the bike is metric, so I did round the head in one screw before I figured out the heads were standard size.

As for the heat coming through the grips, I live in South Carolina and as I am a blue card rider, if it is below 40 degrees the bike sits. However on the cooler days, the heat transfer through the grips is sadly lacking, so if you live up north, it would not be satisfactory. As installed with the grips on their highest setting, they will warm up after a bit, and you will notice that sitting at idle or in slow traffic they do cool down, and then warm again as the speed and the alternator picks up and all that.

Kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts