GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the pictures and instructions for those interested in my modification for the Kuryakyn 4056 Ergo II Highway Pegs.

Take the large bolt out that holds the arm to the mount. There will be ten teeth or fingers on both halves. I used a high-speed die grinder with a carbide bit to cut off seven of the teeth on each half. Look closely at the pictures and you can see which teeth I cut off. There will only be three teeth left on each half. Two of the spaces have two teeth cut off and the third space has three teeth cut off. When the peg is pushed down to the riding position all three teeth make contact and take the load. When retracted only two teeth stop the upward movement. Now this pattern can be rotated to suit yourself depending on where you want the lowered position to be.
I coated the internal surfaces with moly lube and assembled using red locktite (262) on the bolt threads. Tighten the bolt to put pressure on the rotating assembly. Rotate the peg assembly by hand to get the desired resistance. Don't be afraid to put some torque on this bolt. The arm assemblies are easy to move when using your foot.
Do not use blue locktite on the bolt threads. You don't want this bolt to move when raising or lowering the pegs.
To remove the bolt with red locktite on it use a heat gun to soften the locktite.

Sorry, this should be on the tech board.

Video of operation. http://media.putfile.com/Kuryakyn-Highw ... dification

Warning & Disclaimer: It is your responsibility to determine that there is sufficient cornering clearance before performing cornering maneuvers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
cool idea. How many beers did it take to come up with it?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think I kinda like that idea....I been waiting for a good peg set-up that I liked before I put any on. that one may do it for me. I am curious how long the firmness in the swigndown of the big arm will last. Do you have any feel for it becoming sloppy and falling down? I presume you would just tighten it a bit again right, or does the loctite prevent this from happening at all?

Are those designed to do that at all....swing down I mean? And I presume you wanted that to prevent dragging?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
steve s said:
I think I kinda like that idea....I been waiting for a good peg set-up that I liked before I put any on. that one may do it for me. I am curious how long the firmness in the swigndown of the big arm will last. Do you have any feel for it becoming sloppy and falling down? I presume you would just tighten it a bit again right, or does the loctite prevent this from happening at all?

Are those designed to do that at all....swing down I mean? And I presume you wanted that to prevent dragging?
The original factory design you could select any of ten positions within 360 degrees, but this would be a fixed position. In order to have enough cornering clearance the peg arm needed to be mounted above horizontal. That position was too uncomfortable for me.
I came up with this modification about six months ago and have been using this setup since then, about 10,000 miles and a lot of twisty roads. So I have raised and lowered these pegs many times. There is no wear or slop at the pivot point since there is a lot of surface area contact between the two halves and I used some good lube when I assembled them.

An option to this would be Mic-O-Pegs, which are a spring loaded self retracting highway peg. I prefer the look of the Kuryakyn Pegs.

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/riding ... index.html

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nicely done. I'd worry about the missing teeth if I were standing on the pegs, but with a Wing, who can stand on their highway pegs? :)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I may just have to do that also....again THANKS!!!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
GL05 said:
steve s said:

The original factory design you could select any of ten positions within 360 degrees, but this would be a fixed position. In order to have enough cornering clearance the peg arm needed to be mounted above horizontal. That position was too uncomfortable for me.
I came up with this modification about six months ago and have been using this setup since then, about 10,000 miles and a lot of twisty roads. So I have raised and lowered these pegs many times. There is no wear or slop at the pivot point since there is a lot of surface area contact between the two halves and I used some good lube when I assembled them.

An option to this would be Mic-O-Pegs, which are a spring loaded self retracting highway peg. I prefer the look of the Kuryakyn Pegs.

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/riding ... index.html
Mac, thanks for clearing that up. I may have to look into tha also. I do like the idea of them being up out of the way until you need em.
thanks again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Video looks good, but how do you do that (fold them up and down) easily while riding? Looks like a cumbersome procedure trying to do it with your feet while riding.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That is really neat. In the video, it sounds and looks as if it has a detent position? I like it. That ought to get mod of the month award. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts