GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 GL1800 ABS

I discovered the Goldwing I bought has a Kuryakyn vertical trailer hitch but no receiver and ball. I don't think I will ever want to pull a trailer but I would consider getting a cooler rack. Can anyone tell me which cooler racks are compatible with the Kuryakyn hitch? I hear some of the racks will not slide into the Kuryakyn. In addition I'm concerned about how the racks will sit in relation to the exhaust.

thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Kuryakan verticle hitch on my 09.
Purchased the AddOn cooler rack for it.
The reciever would not accept the cooler rack.
Rack is slightly bigger square tube than what will fit the hitch.
I started by grinding the paint off of all 4 sides of the rack tube.
Ended up grinding about a 1/16 of an inch or less off each side of the rack tube. Repainted it works with no issues.
As far as the exhaust yes the rack is dead center in line with the exhaust pipes. I went to the local steel yard and got some 1-1/2 square tubing, cut the platform off the rack and raised it 3 inches with the square tubing and welded it back together. After cutting off the platform I welded a piece of 1-1/2 sq tube 1 inch long to each spot the platform welded. The took a piece of the 1-1/2 tubing as log as the platform and welded it on top the new risers. Then reattached the platform to the new tubing.
Bottom of the rack is at the top of the muffler. Used it on a ride to New England with an extra bag of luggage, wife was with me. 2500 mile no issues never set the bag on fire or melted anything, checked the first few time at gas stops never even very warm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rack

Wow.... Thats what I was worried about. Seems like someone would have addressed the exhaust issue by now and have a rack ready to sell.

Is that a modification because I have a Kuryakyn or is it an issue for all the hitches and racks?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Never say never on pulling a trailer. When I got my bike used it also had a Kury. hitch, receiver and ball. I said I would never pull a trailer either until the SO and I went to Wing Ding last month and did not have enough storage space. Now, I have a HF trailer, and have pulled it on a trip to the mountains with the wife. I love it! The wing pulls the trailer with little to no effort at all. I'll be trailering on long trips from now on! :thumbup::thumbup:

I know some trailers are so expensive it makes trailering unappealing but there are some great deals out there to be had. When compared to the price of some hitch racks, bags, and coolers my trailer is well worth the cost.

My trailer conversion thread

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291181

Not trying to change your mind, just giving you more information.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow.... Thats what I was worried about. Seems like someone would have addressed the exhaust issue by now and have a rack ready to sell.

Is that a modification because I have a Kuryakyn or is it an issue for all the hitches and racks?
It looks like most of them end up at the same place due to hitch location. I did not like it there, other do not modify and have no problems or they put on turn downs. For the extra 10 bucks of the 1-1/2 inch tubing, a can of spray paint and couple hours time, well worth it to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rack

Thanks everyone.
Trader1 ..... thanks for the link and photos. Lots of good ideas there and the rack actually looks pretty good. Turn downs would certainly help the issue if everything fits together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts