GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got mine. I'm very impressed with the quality, etc. I'm wondering about the weight to put on the lid though. I know I've heard everything from "The luggage rack is just for looks" to "I've put 30Kmi on with 20lbs. on the lid" (paraphrased, of course). I don't have the owner's manual with me so.... How much weight is the lid rated for? What has everyone's experience been with putting things on top of the trunk?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've used mine on quite a few trips. I try to keep lighter stuff in it, clothing, etc. The last trip I weighed it at 17 lb. There have not been any problems with the trunk lid other than the "nubs" have worn a little. I am much more careful when opening and closing the lid, however, when the bag is on. Quite often I'll just remove the bag before opening the lid. I use a spider web bungee cord to secure it, in addition to the snap loops that are on the bag. On one trip to Arizona last summer, the temps. went way up and my wife and I put our leather jackets on top of the bag with another spider web bungee for a total weight of probably 23 or 24 lb. No ill effects from that much weight.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have rode around with a rack for three years, with between zero and 20 lbs on it. When I mounted it, I put it over pyrmid washers, and put eighth inch thick packing foam between the inner liner and the lid to distribute the weight. After a year (12K miles), I had rubbed the nubs off the sides, and had rubbed into the fiberglass on one corner of the lid and in the trunk. I then installed the model airplane quarter inch gas line tube in the trunk gasket, and in the next two years (24K miles) no added damage. The tubing fix I got off this board. Great input. No more squeeking.

So, go for it. But with a heavy load, you can feel the handling change in the bike, so I try to keep mine a little on the light side. But the bike is holding up very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts