GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my delima. I had them put on when I bought it (with transformer pegs) for the wifey-poo.

But, she rarely rides with me.

She loves them and doesn't want me to remove them. We'll ride more together in the summer, of course.

However, they are constantly in the way:

- Moving them to open the trunk

- Kicking them when getting on and off the bike

Is there a better alternative? Or will I just get used to it?

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=4403&str=4

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had the same "dillema" with mine also, wife loves them and feels more comfy, but I get tired of them being in the way. I finally realized the minor aggrivation they caused me was nothing compared to the aggrivation she could cause me as an unhappy passenger so I just deal with them. ;)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
totaly agree, not hard to swing them out to open trunk compared to the repacutions. it also looks naked without them:agree:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I read somewhere that Kuryakyn is working on adding two small electric motors that move the arms out the minute you touch the trunk release, and when you put the side stand out. The motors are chrome and cost 495.99 plus the custom wiring harness (easy plug in to existing harness) for an additional $199.50. Instruction sheet is only 9.95. As usual with Kury products no guarrantee that the chrome will last. A heavy duty blue tooth version is in beta stage and will be available in 2013. All you have to do is think about getting off the bike, or....opening the trunk and voila. The blue tooth requires implanting a special module in the brain, to be done only by qualified neurosurgeons.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I rarely have a passenger, so I just took off the arm rests and leave the hardware brackets on the bike. I put a rubber plug in the top opening of the bracket bolt hole where the arm attaches to keep rain out of the bolt hole. Easy and quick to put them back on the bike when needed.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Have them and use them with bungee cords to keep luggage on the back seat when traveling. I found that I had to find another way to mount and dismount the wing with the Kury backrest and arms in the way. I just swing my right leg over the seat and tank to mount and drag it across the seat when dismounting. Works ok, but would work better if I was younger and more flexable.;);)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
jack in ca.

Have them and use them with bungee cords to keep luggage on the back seat when traveling. I found that I had to find another way to mount and dismount the wing with the Kury backrest and arms in the way. I just swing my right leg over the seat and tank to mount and drag it across the seat when dismounting. Works ok, but would work better if I was younger and more flexable.;);)
They look just like mine but the top off my arms are rusty but wife still loves them.
Jack

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
That is how i mount and dismount all the time and i dont have them on yet. Put your right leg up and over the seat and then scoot towards the bike on your left foot and then sit down. I dismount on the right side and do the opposit. Getting to old, might have to tryke it out.

W

·
0 Posts
Try stepping up on the left peg/floorboard with your left foot then stepping straight over with your right foot before twisting your body into position to sit down. That way you have the added height to make swinging your leg over the seat easier and you don't have to worry about backrests, armrests, etc. being in the way. It took me a while to get used to but now I find it a natural motion for mounting and dismounting the bike.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had Kurys on the '03 and you're right, it was a nuisance when opening the trunk because I seldom remembered to move them out of the way. That is one of the reasons I installed the Big Bike armrests when I bought the '06. You do not have to move them when opening the trunk and you don't have to drill holes to mount them. The downside is that it makes it harder to remove the seat. So, once the Kurys finally rust off you might consider the Big Bikes.

·
Registered
19,901 Posts

She loves them and doesn't want me to remove them.
How's that for a kick in the balls!!!!!! Tell her if she doesn't start riding with you that they are coming off.

It's just another poorly thought out product by Kuryakyn. That's why I like my Show Chrome arm rests. You don't have to move them to open the trunk.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I'll make you all feel better about wasting not only time but money as well..

When I bought my bike it had the Show Chrome passenger arm rests on..
Like trekbiker61 said. they are a PITA when pulling the seat..
I put tape under the seat handle bracket so they didn't scratch my paint on the bags!!

I didn't like the looks of them compared to the Kury's..

Well here's where it goes south!!
I took them off and sold them and installed the Kury brand for the better looks..

Well you have to drill holes through both passenger pockets and the trunk if you don't have a CB??

At the time I was hoping my teenage kids would take a few rides with me?? Nope never happened!!

So I basically sold arm rests that allowed me to open the trunk without moving them out of the way for arm rest that cost a hell of a lot more that I now have to move out of the way?? Sakes!!

So I started dating again,and I read here some time ago about someone posting that their co-rider didn't want the arm rests on anymore and what should they do??

I turned around and asked my co-rider if she likes the arm rests??
Huh-she says she never uses them and hates moving them out of the way to get on and then moving them back in again?? Go figure huh??

Well off those PITA arm rests come,And I not only got to sell them for less than I paid,But I got to spend more money in doing so too!!
You see now the passenger pockets have holes in them from the arm rests!

I can't have that now!-- So I buy new pocket covers while shaking my head saying "Why couldn't I just take off those Show Chrome arm rests and put them in a box in case someone (Say a new GF) asked if we could put some on after seeing some on another bike..."

So as I sit here LMAO at this fiasco I put myself through-I hope yours turns out better..

Listen to the other guys and just remove the arms until the Boss wants to go for a ride with you,then pop them back on while keeping her happy..

BTW:
Should I get a different GF and she asks about arm rests on another bike??--I'll tell her forget it! Fold your arms!!:22yikes:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Personally I hate those darn things! They look ugly and are always in the way. I had them on my last wing and what I did was just pulled the bolt out that they pivot on and and removed them. I would of removed them completely but holes are drilled to mount them.

There easily put back on if needed

Here's my delima. I had them put on when I bought it (with transformer pegs) for the wifey-poo.

She loves them and doesn't want me to remove them. We'll ride more together in the summer, of course.

However, they are constantly in the way:

- Moving them to open the trunk

- Kicking them when getting on and off the bike

Is there a better alternative? Or will I just get used to it?

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=4403&str=4

1 - 15 of 15 Posts