GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I should not pick on just Kuryakyn Products as I really like the design of their stuff and I really have not seen anything that comes close.
Let me get to the point, I have a 2005 and I am on my third set of Kuryakyn Products due to the poor crome. :wrong:

I have had no problem with any of the Honda Crome yet thay still look good but the add on products are not Marine grade crome.

At the price we pay for the part they should make Coffee for us in the morning, we are not getting what we pay for!

I ride everyday rain or shine here in SoCal so if you have a product you want tested in this weather let me know.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've had my Wing for a year and park right next to the ocean w/no garage. There are only 4 pcs of Honda metal chrome on the bike that I can think of, the engine/side guards, and they are starting to rust as much as the Kury stuff. I'm going to see if the dealer can do anything about the guards. This expensive a vehicle shouldn't show signs of rust in a year. As far as the Kury stuff goes I think we're just on our own. Caveat Emptor !

·
Registered
855 Posts
Oh, yeah, forgot about the antenna base - that's showing rust signs, too.

:wrong:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Maybe if folks like Hal would quit carrying their crap they'd get the message.
Ummm.........maybe if people like us quit buying their stuff they would get the message. This is not a Hal issue......

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Very true. I happened to think that Kury would tend to pay more attention if one of their retailers/customers expressed concerned.

Plus, from experience of family owned businesses, I feel an obligation not to sell inferior products to customers.

Ummm.........maybe if people like us quit buying their stuff they would get the message. This is not a Hal issue......

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I don't think it's fair to compare Kuryakyn with Honda chrome. Honda chrome accessories are very expensive compared to Kuryakyn. Honda chrome is near or as good chrome quality as Harley Davidson chrome accessories.
Granted, Kuryakyn accessories are expensive but I would expect ever worse quality if their price were less. I've had nothing but Kuryakyn on my '06 with no complaints so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kury Chrome

Kury chrome parts are POS. Never again.

+1

I jsut bought the luggage rack and I hope they have improved. I like the look, but every piece of their chrome I have owned has rusted in less than two years.

Lewis

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Every piece of Kury chrome I have on my 06 is pitted and pealing. Pure JUNK. The last piece to start pealing is the Fork Brace last month with only a little over a year on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I guess I have been lucky, have 2005 with a lot of chrome from them, have not shown any problems yet. Does sit in a warm garage in the winter.:shrug:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,766 Posts
The only problems I've had with my Kury stuff is with a few burnt out LED's..and Kury replaced the parts under the three year LED warranty...no problems with any of my chrome and most of it is 5 years old now...but I will say that plastic chrome will scratch easily..but that is owner error.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kury

I fortunately have had no problems with Kury chrome except for clutch / brake levers pitting. I am on my 3rd set of levers on my 06.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well I should not pick on just Kuryakyn Products as I really like the design of their stuff and I really have not seen anything that comes close.
Let me get to the point, I have a 2005 and I am on my third set of Kuryakyn Products due to the poor crome. :wrong:

I have had no problem with any of the Honda Crome yet thay still look good but the add on products are not Marine grade crome.

At the price we pay for the part they should make Coffee for us in the morning, we are not getting what we pay for!

I ride everyday rain or shine here in SoCal so if you have a product you want tested in this weather let me know.
We will see, I just emailed their tech & sales departments and asked.

M

·
0 Posts
+1 The jiffy stand and my handlebar riser kit are the only Kury parts on this bike. After various debacles with their lighting products, floor boards and, other items on my previous wings, never again. Btw, the chrome on the jiffy stand is first rate. It's now on it's third 1800.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
I've been a Kuryakyn defender on here in the past. And for the most part I'm still satified. I'm going into season 4 on my 2006 and my Kuryakyn chrome still looks great. Same with my Honda Chrome.

The one exception was with my right-side Kuryakyn passenger armrest. The joint got really tight on it and I could barely swing it out. I was careful with it for a long time then one day, from the opposide side, I pushed on it and the bracket snapped just to the front of the U-bolt that installs in the storage area below the speaker. Kuryakyn wouldn't cover it under warranty but sold me a new right-side part for $100. I put it on and in less than a week the stops on it were broken - it would swing all the way in or all the way back hitting the trunk. I figured since they made me pay I wanted a good one. So I sent it back and when I got the next one I opened the box and it was covered with pitting and surface rust. So I got on the phone with them and chewed them out big time. I went through my dealer and they tried to tell me it was my dealers fault because they didn't open the box first! I said "why didn't you check the part before shipping it to my dealer?" They said "we don't do that." :rolleyes:

So I explained to the lady I spoke with about the complaints on this board and others about their quality control and that I was one of their biggest defenders - up until that point. But they still told me that because I went through my dealer then the dealer had to contact them to get the part replaced. So I contacted my dealer and they took care of it for me. (Adventure Cycle & Sled in Dillon, Montana - great people!) So I got the new one a couple months ago. Finally got around to putting it on a couple weeks ago. So far, so good.

BTW, the first thing to do on any of the right side arms is to tighten that little screw for the drink holder stop. It was loose on all of them and it fell off my original armrest in no time at all.

Anyway, I'm not as defensive about Kuryakyn stuff anymore but I'm still not ready to boycott them. I was looking at ChromeWorld.com this morning while ordering some parts and saw they are coming out with A TON of new chrome parts. They are getting very artistic. I saw the new chrome lights that go on each side of the spoiler. I'm not sure how I feel about them - they look kind of retro like a 50s car - and I love cars from back then. But I don't know ... need to see them in person.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts