GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used Kuryakyn rack from a board member and a Kury bag and Kury risers (with much the larger feet) from a retailer. I'm loading up for the month of May on the road. I have weighed the loaded bag at 6.25 lbs (two rain suits, travel sized Honda cleaner and Plexus, one pr. winter gloves, tire plug/patch kit and a couple of rags). Since I can't find load limit info at the Kury site I'd like to know if this load is going to present problem is terms of "cracking" the upper lid. Oh, I also installed the lid support kit sold by a board member.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have the show chrome rack and the kury bag and my stuff weighs more than that. No problems yet.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I normally carry 22 lbs. on my rack. WARNING however, it depends a lot on how the rack is installed. If large washers and rubber spacers between the trunk lid and liner were incorporated in the install you might get away with the extra weight and not get cracks. There is a normal weight limit but I forget what it is, 6 pounds maybe?

D

·
0 Posts
Anybody know what the gap thickness is between the trunk and liner? I was thinking some kind of solid foam inbetween the trunk and liner to disburse the weight of the rack and load.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
359 Posts
ElBando,
I've got pretty much the same setup as ytkinwi so am a bit concerned about cracking. When installed per Kury's instructions, the front bolts do not protrude through the inner trunk liner. However, the rear bolts do and I'd like to shore them up with washers in-between. Can you give a description and/or diagram of how you put yours in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
ElBando,
I've got pretty much the same setup as ytkinwi so am a bit concerned about cracking. When installed per Kury's instructions, the front bolts do not protrude through the inner trunk liner. However, the rear bolts do and I'd like to shore them up with washers in-between. Can you give a description and/or diagram of how you put yours in.

Thanks!
drkeds, this is how I did it. After using a template and a lot of eyeball work I marked the 4 holes to be drilled. I removed my plastic liner that is fastened to the underside of the trunk lid to look for any wiring. I then replaced the liner and drilled 4 holes all the way through both the trunk lid and liner. I used thick rubber grommets about the size of a quarter, I forget how thick they were, maybe 5/16"? Anyway, they should be thick enough to absorb the space between the trunk and liner. Two of my bolts were long enough but I had to obtain two longer bolts because I needed all 4 bolts to be completely through to hold the rubber grommets. I weighed my duffle bag which I carry on the rack. It is 22 pounds. I also put more junk on top sometimes. After 40,000 miles of bumping around Pennsylvania potholes and the rest of the USA I have had no problem with cracks. Maybe I am pushing my luck.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I believe that my Kuryakyn rack instructions said something about 10 lbs for the entire lid. The bag itself weighs almost 5 lbs, so that doesn't leave much for the cargo.

I just checked the instructions on their website, and there is no reference as to any weight limitation.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good topic,

My bike is at the dealer now waiting to have a rear wing/spoiler and luggage rack installed (wife refused to let me take the drill to it). My dilemma is should I go with the extra risers with the Kury rack or does it look much better with out? Anyone have good photos of the Kury rack and risers. A friend has the rack without risers and it looks nice but I can see that it would be harder to clean the rear spoiler, which he also has.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My friend and i both have the same wing and carry about the same weight on the rack, about 25 lbs. I am very careful with closing my truck lid, he just slams his down. His has cracked, mine is doing fine, but we both have only had the rack for about 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Once you attach the Kury bag, which weighs 2lbs, 8.6 oz, you have exceeded the trunk lid limit by 1/2 pound, before you add any of the stuff you wanted to carry in the bag...
If you have a trunk mounted spoiler, you are even further overweight... Well, the trunk lid is, anyway...

Dave
GWBBA #9
www.rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for the picture, I think I will add the risers like I originally planned. Still looks good and appears much easier to clean under it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
On the forum I saw a good trick which I used. On the inner liner I put some silicon caulking in two spots. I built it up rather high then covered them with ziplock baggies and reinstalled the liner. The idea is the caulking will flatten out and support the trunk after it sets up. The baggies will allow me to take it apart again. I've used the rack on two wings so far and have no problems. I don't know how much the bag weighs but I fill it with underwear and socks and tee shirts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
No problems with mine...I'm sure I
exceed the recommended weight ...
I'm real careful when opening and closing,
I hold the lid untill it's completely opened
and resting on the stops.
I close it to the latch, then push down to
latch...no slamming.
My theory is that the stress is in this process,
not so nuch going down the road.