GL1800Riders Forums banner

Kuryakyn Shark Gill Removal

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Mama Chicken 
#1 ·
Anyone ever removed these? Looking for input as for best way to remove and hopefully not destroy them.

See less See more
#2 ·
If they are stuck on with double sided tape, just use a hair drier and warm them up good. Then gently pull them off. You will then have to remove the glue left behind with something like WD 40 or goop off.

#3 ·
If you didn't do the install....they are usually put on with silicone "caulk"...and the only thing I could think of is to try to get some fishing line in there like dental floss and see if you get them off. I really wonder if it's possible to get them off without doing damage. Good luck...:-(

#5 ·
I had to break off the veins to make sure there was enough clearance to not scratch the fairing while pulling them off. The Shark Gills pulled off easy enough, but the real job is removing the high temp silicone that is used with the Shark Gills from the fairing...I tried everything to remove that silicone and I finally wound up just using my fingernail to scape tiny bits of silicone off at a time.....what a job it is removing that silicone from the fairing...I worked on it a little bit at a time throughout the whole winter removing that silicone from my fairing.

#7 ·
You want to remove CHROME?

There are times that I like Chrome, but as I get older, I like it less and less. The quality of chrome products is poor these days, and I just get tired of cleaning and it still looking like crap! Sometimes, a naked bike is a thing of beauty and chrome just junks it up.

#9 ·
Without damage?!?! muuhhahahahahahaaa a ahahahaha omg !! ROFLMAO!!!! muhhaahahahahahahha

I am on my 3rd pair of those lil guys. I defy anybody who has installed them per the instructions to EVER get them off without damage.

Normally, about 3 hours and a ton of lil sections of them are all that is left after removal. Did I mention the paint is gone under them? grrrrr

#10 ·
Without damage?!?! muuhhahahahahahaaa a ahahahaha omg !! ROFLMAO!!!! muhhaahahahahahahha

I am on my 3rd pair of those lil guys. I defy anybody who has installed them per the instructions to EVER get them off without damage.

Normally, about 3 hours and a ton of lil sections of them are all that is left after removal. Did I mention the paint is gone under them? grrrrr

I must ask why would you install another pair let alone two of them if it is so much trouble to get them off????
Inquiring minds want to know!

#11 ·
I didn't have any paint damage when I removed mine. I was really surprised how durable the 03 Candy Orange paint was when I was removing that silicone...not a scratch on the paint after scraping and scraping with a plastic flat scraper and then finally with just my fingernail. I have over 8 hours of labor on each side of the fairing removing that high temp silicone from my fairing over the winter months and there is still some silicone on the underside of the fairing where you can't see it.... that high temp silicone is very tough and what a job it was.

I liked the looks of the Shark Gills, but I couldn't stand the heat that the Shark Gills redirected from the radiators onto my lower legs..riding above 75 degrees and my lower legs felt like they were on slow cook. :p

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.