GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some random pics in the back yard of the ICE storm we had....

· Registered
15 Posts
I hope you're getting through all of that mess without to much difficulty. I was going to post a picture of the 65 deg. day that we had here in Fresno CA, but :wrong:

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Nasty ICE !!!!!!!
Hope it melts soon and they get all the power back on across the state.
The news is reporting that there's a lot of people without power...

· Registered
602 Posts
We got hit by a similar ice storm 2 yrs ago...... My house was without pwr for 5 days - long enuf for everything in the fridges/freezers to go south !

At the time of the ice storm - generators were no where to be found - at any price. I bought a generator soon after & of course, the lights haven't flickered since !

Buy a generator & you'll never hafta worry about losing pwr again ! ;)

· Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, yes I bought a new Honda generator Friday, power returned to us Saturday afternoon, 2:00PM...but that's OK, I have the generator now and hope I never need it again, but if I do it's there....
Power slowly returning....hope all do as well as we did....we had a small vent less propane heated installed a few yeas back to supplement out heat pump ( I hate those) and it save us big time, house stayed about 63 degrees, cool but we were OK. Several deaths related to cold and some using propane heaters inside or generators inside garages....feel for the families....

Most of the ice has melted off our trees...but I woke this morning to both vehicle having skidded down the driveway on the ice, stopped less than a foot apart, no damage, whew.:eek:4:..it was close but all is OK. :thumbup:

If anyone is using supplemental heat or power, PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!! follow the simple rules, vent very well.......thank for all the prayers sent to those hit by this or any storm....they work.

Be safe all....

· The Boss
1,289 Posts
We just went thru the same thing... there are still many people without power. Neighborhoods look like a battle zone with all the trees down/etc. From what I've been told it's been the worst ice storm in well over 25years.

We have a pretty steep driveway. I parked my car where it was dry before the storm (Loren's truck was parked there) Just looked out the window, and my car has slid down the driveway over night... 1.5car lengths. Thankfully NOT into the street!

I'll take the snow over ice anyday

Glad you're safe!

· Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me too on the snow.....I can deal with snow, but Ice is something else....

just looked at the ten day forecast on the web, 65 degrees Saturday....man that will sure help....

I pray for the crews working round the clock in this weather, or any weather for that matter...tough job, I wouldn't want it....we had them from AL and GA come up and help out....God Bless Them.

· Registered
688 Posts
I feel your pain!
We went through the same thing in January 2000. Without power for 10 days in an all electric house. Plus we are on well water, so no water or bathroom. Temps were in the mid teens at night and low 20's during the day. Thank God for standby generators!

I lost 12 trees when it was all done. You had to be careful if you went outside, branches were breaking off and falling everywhere. Hope everything is back to normal soon.

· Registered
6,791 Posts
That brings back memories.

I worked the 1976 ice storm up here in WI in West Bend and can apreciate what all you guys are going through!!!!!

· Registered
1,928 Posts
Blue stop your complaining. It took me 2 days to get out of my road (3 Miles) I cut and pushed with my Bobcat a half miles out to my neighbor and got hime and his wife cuting while I ran the bobcat. Made it to my next neighbor the end of first day. Picked him up the second day and had 3 sawing. We picked up two more on the way out and made it to the end of the road at 2 o'clock the second day. Six days so far with out power and they say it may be 2 more weeks. I lost all my trees in the front yard and have not had time to look over the farm. But we are making it fine. There is no power in my little town (Dawson Springs) and very little in Madisonville.

· Registered
779 Posts
Yep, I am right across the river from you. We had 1/2 inch of ice, then 3 inches of snow on Tuesday. Tuesday night we got a little over of an inch of additional ice, then 5 more inches of snow. 6600 in this are were without power.

Here is a picture of my driveway:

I want to ride today, its like 60 degrees, but while I can get down my driveway, there is no way to get the bike back up the driveway. You cant tell in the picture, but my driveway is 300 feet long and up hill all the way from the blacktop to my garage.......so I am just sitting here thinking about it.

· Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blue stop your complaining. It took me 2 days to get out of my road (3 Miles) I cut and pushed with my Bobcat a half miles out to my neighbor and got hime and his wife cuting while I ran the bobcat. Made it to my next neighbor the end of first day. Picked him up the second day and had 3 sawing. We picked up two more on the way out and made it to the end of the road at 2 o'clock the second day. Six days so far with out power and they say it may be 2 more weeks. I lost all my trees in the front yard and have not had time to look over the farm. But we are making it fine. There is no power in my little town (Dawson Springs) and very little in Madisonville.
Not complaining, thankfull we have what we have.....but I don't live on a farm...have a nice place in the country....we're in the city....Bobcat??? what's a Bobcat.....

· Registered
1,662 Posts
We got hit by a similar ice storm 2 yrs ago...... My house was without pwr for 5 days - long enuf for everything in the fridges/freezers to go south !

At the time of the ice storm - generators were no where to be found - at any price. I bought a generator soon after & of course, the lights haven't flickered since !

Buy a generator & you'll never hafta worry about losing pwr again ! ;)
You found the solution for not losing power... just buy a generator.

Four years ago we lost power due to ice and were told that the power would be out for days. I called all around and finally found a generator (a sweet 8000W unit with a Honda engine no less). I was literally one block from the store where I bought it when my son called and told me the power was back on. I brought it home anyway and the power has been perfect ever since. :thumbup:

One suggestion, if you have a generator, start it up and let it run for a while every month or two. That'll keep the carburator from gumming up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.